In answer to the threads title

Yes

This is all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the.watson wrote: »
    In 10 years time everybody who's fell for this joke from apple will be laughed at the way we laugh at people who bought sinclair c5s.

I'd love a c5, only problem with the c5 is it was 10 before it's time. Make and market it now and it'd sell.

Is the iPad over priced? well I have pictures on my walls that cost more and do less. If you are only buying it for what it can do then yes it probably is over priced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkster wrote: »
    If you like to get value for money then I can't see how the ipad is worth it. I can buy a good spec laptop (not a netbook) for the same price as 64Gb iPad wifi.

It will let me see every single website on the internet, runs millions of programs (sorry 'apps'), has real multi-tasking, USB ports, can print, has expansion ports and I don't need to ask big brother (sorry apple) what I can can't put on it... oh and I don't have to worry about an overly reflective glossy glare and fingerprint covered screen.

I think I'll wait until a slate/tablet comes along that isn't so restrictive and prices come down to a more respectable level.

You are missing the entire point of the iPad. I already have a laptop. I don't want another laptop. I want a device that gives quick, intuitive access to
    various media, for example ebooks or Internet radio or to watch iplayer. The iPad gives me all of that.
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eng123 wrote: »
    You are missing the entire point of the iPad. I already have a laptop. I don't want another laptop. I want a device that gives quick, intuitive access to
    various media, for example ebooks or Internet radio or to watch iplayer. The iPad gives me all of that.

Spot on. The iPad is not, not does it try to be, a laptop.

So far it has far surpassed any use I personally have for a laptop.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 10 years time everybody who's fell for this joke from apple will be laughed at the way we laugh at people who bought sinclair c5s.

How many Sinclair C5s were sold worldwide within say 3 months?
  • Options
    the.watsonthe.watson Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    How many Sinclair C5s were sold worldwide within say 3 months?

Not enough but we'll have plenty of people to laugh at in the future over this farce.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not enough but we'll have plenty of people to laugh at in the future over this farce.

The millions sold and software availability seems to suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't seem to have any actual arguments, the.watson. Just "this farce". Right.

*sniggers behind hand*

The much vaunted Dell Streak is launched this week. £429. Familiar? No USB port? Check.

Cling to your netbooks, boys, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I played with the iPad at the weekend and, well, I wasnt that impressed. Sure its a dinky gadget which lets you surf and play games etc...but for the price its just far from finished. Its true when they say its just a larger iphone, albeit without standard telephony options. I would certainly buy one though only when the price drops because at the moment, the premium being charged is just ridiculous. Its also quite uncomfortable to hold and whilst the bells and whistles are nice, its nothing new at all.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPad is not for everyone, and its not meant to replace anything. Its in a category of its own, so will its competitors.
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me correct that for you, monkster:
    monkster wrote: »
    I can't see how the ipad is worth it to me. I can buy a good spec laptop (not a netbook) for the same price as 64Gb iPad wifi.

Of course, if it is a good looking, swish, multitouch surfing/email/calender/media viewer that you are after, and you don't need ports/printing/etc etc then it can indeed be value for money.
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having "borrowed" one from a guy at work I'd have to say I'm impressed and will probably get one once/if the BBC Iplayer and 4OD problems are sorted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will find that the problems will get sorted.
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Apple fanbois will defend this latest gadget to the hilt claiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread (despite the many drawbacks it currently has) ergo the question is academic in light of that fact.

I say let them enjoy their latest [expensive] gadget, no doubt the novelty will eventually wear off when the next "messianic" gadget from Apple comes out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Gareth56 wrote: »
    The Apple fanbois will defend this latest gadget to the hilt claiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread (despite the many drawbacks it currently has) ergo the question is academic in light of that fact.

I say let them enjoy their latest [expensive] gadget, no doubt the novelty will eventually wear off when the next "messianic" gadget from Apple comes out.

Not at all. This is the first Apple product we've bought(my son has an ipod but this is the first thing we,as a family,have bought).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me how the hell to top up my Ipad 3G with o2 ? I got a sim included when i bought it from Apple but cant find a link to topping up online and the Ipad tarrifs !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueboy wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how the hell to top up my Ipad 3G with o2 ? I got a sim included when i bought it from Apple but cant find a link to topping up online and the Ipad tarrifs !

I can't quite remember but it's under settings, you have to go into it and fill in your account details. I think it's under connectivity? It's something like that. Try turning all your data settings on.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gareth56 wrote: »

I'm not a apple fanboy but I got one and love it, so does me mother and she won't touch a laptop/pc (ease of use)

but that's it whats next from apple after this, a iTV(touch screen)/iLaptop for £2000. I doubt I'll be buying ver2 if its just for camera as I have camera for pic's and read this

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/shanerichmond/100005231/apple-ipad-why-replacing-gadgets-isnt-the-point/

I've got another reason for loving ipad, as I get gadgets for treats for loosing weight/less booze or in the past week(if that) since I had ipad I've went from 10 cigarette's a day to 6 a day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    All of these "My laptop already does that + more" comments completely miss the point.

My grill toasts bread and also bakes cakes and potatoes, yet I still choose to toast my bread using the toaster most mornings because it's quicker, easier and the outcome tastes better.

That's the iPad - even browsing the net on my macbook feels quaint now, you pick the ipad up, tap safari, bam!

I still use my laptop everyday for work, but not at all in leisure time.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davies88 wrote: »
    I like the iPad, but why anyone would want to buy a keyboard for it is beyond me, it totally goes against the point of the ipad.

If I was to buy one, one very reason would be because its a touch screen. It looks stupid in the keyboard dock.

If you think adding a keyboard goes against the point, take a look at this :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't quite remember but it's under settings, you have to go into it and fill in your account details. I think it's under connectivity? It's something like that. Try turning all your data settings on.

Thanks !! Successfully topped up now :-)
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davisa wrote: »
    Spot on. The iPad is not, not does it try to be, a laptop.

So far it has far surpassed any use I personally have for a laptop.

No, it tries to do considerably less, but for more money. The Apple shareholders must be absolutely loving it :cool:

I do like the iPad as a gadget, and can understand how some people would like a more "focused" device, but this incessant fawning over it is getting sickening.

Its good for the web, but would be useless for the kids homework until they give some form of printing support. Its not great for video playback, as the screen isn't the right aspect ratio.

Its overkill for music - compared to an iPhone or iPod Touch its too big.

At the end of the day, the only person who can tell you if an iPad is right for you is yourself. Other people saying "w00t, its great, awesome, perfect, best gadget EVAR" without any consideration of what someone would actually use it for is useless. Support your choice with reasons - ie. good web experience, this specific application has proved invaluable, etc.
  • Options
    John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    IanN wrote: »
    All of these "My laptop already does that + more" comments completely miss the point.

My grill toasts bread and also bakes cakes and potatoes, yet I still choose to toast my bread using the toaster most mornings because it's quicker, easier and the outcome tastes better.

That's the iPad - even browsing the net on my macbook feels quaint now, you pick the ipad up, tap safari, bam!

I still use my laptop everyday for work, but not at all in leisure time.

Yes but the excuses made for it's lack of functionality of "Oh I don't need that" will still be there when it's upgraded?

Anyway, the "point" is that your toaster does indeed to toast quicker than your grill. But it shouldn't cost as much or more than your oven! After all, a webpage is a webpage no matter how many times Steve Jobs describes it as 'magical'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there are things the iPad doesn't have, some which will no doubt be added later, but all technology gets upgraded and new features added. To me though, there is nothing glaringly missing from the iPad which stops me from being able to use it as is and nothing that stops me from enjoying using it being happy I purchased it.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moisie wrote: »
    Yes, there are things the iPad doesn't have, some which will no doubt be added later, but all technology gets upgraded and new features added. To me though, there is nothing glaringly missing from the iPad which stops me from being able to use it as is and nothing that stops me from enjoying using it being happy I purchased it.

As long as you're happy, thats all that matters.

I could almost imagine my (better?) half liking the iPad, but no way could I justify the expense. She'd be just as happy with a refurb Dell Mini 10, as long as it has a red/pink back :D