Options

Did Simon Cowell introduce Leona Lewis to Shayne Ward before she entered X Factor?

2»

Comments

• Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean, its very difficult to make it if you dont have any experience. But unfortunately XF makes it sound as if anyone can enter and live their dream etc - they CAN I guess but what usually happens is the singers who get far/win have experience and contacts etc - just they arent known to the "public".
  • Options
    Rosie111Rosie111 Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I don't think Rhydian was a plant from his first interview here he had a holiday booked, which he appears quite gutted at having to cancel

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gwy9_rhydian-s-first-interview-x-factor_shortfilms
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, its very difficult to make it if you dont have any experience. But unfortunately XF makes it sound as if anyone can enter and live their dream etc - they CAN I guess but what usually happens is the singers who get far/win have experience and contacts etc - just they arent known to the "public".

I think that, like for any other profession, experience is vital to make it to the top, and that's what getting a recording contract with a major label is.

What is wrong is not that there are experienced people on the show, already known or not to the production team, it is that they keep brainwashing the public with the false idea that you can pluck someone from the street and make them a professional performer, and even go to great length to hide the real background of those who make it.

I have already quoted Simon Cowell's book, in which he rants against those wanting instant fame without hard work, but then he goes against his own ideas on his shows.

I call it taking the public for a ride in the more condescending way...
  • Options
    davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *cough* Lee DeWyze *cough*
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Chi wrote: »
    I think that, like for any other profession, experience is vital to make it to the top, and that's what getting a recording contract with a major label is.

What is wrong is not that there are experienced people on the show, already known or not to the production team, it is that they keep brainwashing the public with the false idea that you can pluck someone from the street and make them a professional performer, and even go to great length to hide the real background of those who make it.

I have already quoted Simon Cowell's book, in which he rants against those wanting instant fame without hard work, but then he goes against his own ideas on his shows.

I call it taking the public for a ride in the more condescending way...

Completely agree, the ridiculous back stories they try and promote really show contempt to the general public - the 'bin man' the receptionist. What's wrong with stating what is usually the truth, Joe Blogs has been trying to get a break in the music business for 5 years, and that's why he's trying out for X Factor.

When they put someone in who has no experience, they usually fall apart during the live shows, or you get a Leon Jackson situation. I can't claim to be any sort of fan, but the boy did have a decent voice and potential, but no performance experience and seemingly little idea of who he was as an artist. So he got pigeon holed into a certain style, not likely to appeal to his voting base, and thrown in the spotlight with little to no performance skills, no wonder he couldn't win over the general public (although I do believe he's gone back to basics and is gaining experience playing live and writing - good luck to the lad).
  • Options
    amanduhamanduh Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got mixed feelings about this myself if it's true- and Leona was my 2nd fave after Robert so I don't have an axe to grind. It came up in convo a couple of weeks back and I was sure I'd read it on here so thought I'd check.

Personally I'd prefer the contestants to come forward of their own free will and win on merit whether they've been trying to break into the industry for some time or competely new to it.

I didn't like hearing that Susan Boyle and one of the dance groups- (Flawless?) were invited to enter BGT by the producers. Again, I don't think it's fair on the public or other contestants. I know (of) someone in the industry who was asked by the BGT producers if he had any acts he'd like to be fast-tracked onto the show! Not fair IMO.

If it is true, then yes- I'd be uncomfortable about her being known to Mr C beforehand. I do think it would have given her the edge over other contestants at every stage- and it would make sense as to why Mr C outed Robert when he had the chance to save him or Eton Road who he'd just slated! IMO Robert was her closest rival to winning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't like hearing SuBo was invited either, then we're supposed to swallow that crap in the audition with everyone (well, judges) looking amazed. Of course they knew she was good!
  • Options
    SomebodytoLoveSomebodytoLove Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anything about SB being invited before.
    Can anyone remember where the story came from?
    Thanks in advance if you can recall it.:)
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anything about SB being invited before.
    Can anyone remember where the story came from?
    Thanks in advance if you can recall it.:)

I believe the story is that she originally auditioned for X Factor but was told to come back for Britain's Got Talent instead. Not sure about a source, but I've seen it mentioned on here a few times.

Laura White originally auditioned for Britain's Got Talent and was told to go to the X Factor auditions instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I believe the story is that she originally auditioned for X Factor but was told to come back for Britain's Got Talent instead. Not sure about a source, but I've seen it mentioned on here a few times.

Laura White originally auditioned for Britain's Got Talent and was told to go to the X Factor auditions instead.

Thank you for that reply.
    I had heard that actually(:o) and don't see a great problem with it anyway.
    It is, after all an entertainment programme.:)
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,356
    Forum Member
    I thought I heard Leona sent a demo to Simon's record company. Everyone knew she was special but Simon also knew she needed the backing of the show. So he told her to audition because it was hard for female young solo artists and the rest was history. I heard this from a couple of sources - i can't remember now but it has always sort of shaped what I thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this tale were true, somebody would almost certainly have spoken about it by now. We have heard from people who met or saw Leona at other venues on different occasions (former tutors, members of Silent Earth, old friends, etc) yet not a single person has come forward to verify this story. It is highly doubtful that Leona was tiptoeing around Sony HQ before receiving an invite to appear on the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amanduh wrote: »
    I've got mixed feelings about this myself if it's true- and Leona was my 2nd fave after Robert so I don't have an axe to grind. It came up in convo a couple of weeks back and I was sure I'd read it on here so thought I'd check.

If it is true, then yes- I'd be uncomfortable about her being known to Mr C beforehand. I do think it would have given her the edge over other contestants at every stage- and it would make sense as to why Mr C outed Robert when he had the chance to save him or Eton Road who he'd just slated! IMO Robert was her closest rival to winning.

If true, if true, if true .....

Given that no one has confirmed it's true and a search of the digitalspy archives reveals no such comments on the forum I think you can sleep safely regarding this amanduh.

You have to take into account that she was universally acknowledged as by far the best contestant by the public and critics. Her biggest rival was actually Ben who was the early bookies favourite before Leona hit top form in the third week with Summertime and from then on didn't look back.

Robert had already been in the bottom two twice before and been saved before being finally voted out (Cowell saving him once). Cowell has never liked keeping on "repeat offenders" when it comes to the bottom two.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david_f wrote: »
    If true, if true, if true .....

Given that no one has confirmed it's true and a search of the digitalspy archives reveals no such comments on the forum I think you can sleep safely regarding this amanduh.

You have to take into account that she was universally acknowledged as by far the best contestant by the public and critics. Her biggest rival was actually Ben who was the early bookies favourite before Leona hit top form in the third week with Summertime and from then on didn't look back.

Robert had already been in the bottom two twice before and been saved before being finally voted out (Cowell saving him once). Cowell has never liked keeping on "repeat offenders" when it comes to the bottom two.

Come on the girl was clearly a plant IMO the only real winner of the XF was Leon meaning someone completely plucked from obscurity the rest were all known including Shane
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Interesting thread. I couldn't care less whether they are known previously in the industry or not, what I do care about is whether they have the talent. The show is a launch pad for people when all is said and done. It brings to wide public attention, artists who otherwise may never be lucky enough to be 'discovered' and there are an awful lot of talented people who sadly never get lucky in that way.
    It's also ruthless, it's unfair, it manipulates and from what I've seen gobbles you up and spits you out when it's finished with you.

The bottom line is a really obvious talent (whether it's to your taste or not) is needed to survive after the X Factor, to a far greater level than that needed to reach the final stages.

Those who have training and a background of some kind in music/entertainment have the grounding needed to at least have the chance of survival. I recently listened to a radio interview where Rhydian commented that without training you really didn't have much of a chance after the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree Leona's biggest rival was Ben (even Simon said that). Ben was a very good contestant, he should have come 2nd that year IMO :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies in advance for stating the obvious BUT X-Factor is a weekend entertainment package and never ever has been a talent competition.

I see all the finalists as bit players in the Pantomime so it shouldn't be any surprise to anyone that a broad storyline is in place even before the start of the live programmes.
    Of course there has been a lot of work in advance and that includes talking to all the potential finalists.

Actually I cannot see a problem with that because I repeat, it is not a talent programme but a whole entertainment package.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with you its not really a search for talent (not its primary function), why does Cowell say it is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I agree with you its not really a search for talent (not its primary function), why does Cowell say it is?

Hype perchance?;)

If SC gave an honest interview I'm 99.999% certain that he'd be in agreement with me and my fellow cynics. Its a great entertainment package which has considerably added to the coffers of SC but lets not kid ourselves that its any more than that.:)
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe that the top 12 are the most talented of the contestants. But I do believe that they want a winner who is commercially viable (and a couple of runners-up as well). Indeed, back in the days of Pop Idol that was all Cowell was there for (he didn't own any part of the format, but did have the recording rights). With a good winner, there's a fortune to be made. The revenue from Susan Boyle's album is similar to the production budgets for 2 entire series of Britain's Got Talent and X Factor. And the success of some of the top contestants is essential to the shows future.
  • Options
    amanduhamanduh Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I think about it- the more I don't like the idea of people being invited to enter, and known to Mr C beforehand. It's his show and will be him who signs the winner (and others now). If he is inviting singers already known to him, then it's manipulating the public to the max and very misleading to portray the show as some kind of search for a star.
    It's like one glorified advert from start to finish then and uses the other entrants and the GBP as pawns, all the time earning Mr C more dosh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I think about it- the more I don't like the idea of people being invited to enter, and known to Mr C beforehand. It's his show and will be him who signs the winner (and others now). If he is inviting singers already known to him, then it's manipulating the public to the max and very misleading to portray the show as some kind of search for a star.
    It's like one glorified advert from start to finish then and uses the other entrants and the GBP as pawns, all the time earning Mr C more dosh!

I'm really really surprised that it has taken you up to now to work that out.:eek:

The minute G4 were signed when they were supposedly meant to leave with nothing, was the moment I saw X-Factor for what it was.

Its great weekend telly.......that's the beginning, middle and end of it.:D

Cummon amanduh, you know that.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Of course that's what it is :)
  • Options
    PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Postbox wrote: »
    Leona, like most of the finalists, was probably a plant. At a guess, I think the following were 'plants':

Season 2
    Shayne Ward
    Maria Lawson
    Nicholas Dorsett

Season 3
    Leona Lewis
    Ashley Mckenzie
    Ray Quinn
    Ben Mills

Season 4
    Rhydian Roberts
    Alisha Bennett
    Niki Evans

Season 5
    Alexandra Burke
    Laura White
    Diana Vickers
    Ruth Lorenzo
    JLS
    Austin Drage
    Scott Bruton

Season 6
    Joe McElderry
    Danyl Johnson
    Olly Murs
    Rachel Adedeji
    Lucie Jones
    Jamie Archer
    Stacey Solomon

I'm fine with them planting people just so long as they're decent, season 5 seems to have a lot and that's widely perceived to be the best season.

If the notion of 'plants' is exceptable to some then would it be exceptable that the public actually getting a say choosing the eventual winner is a fallacy? It's perhaps just imperative that they pick up the phone to vote to make ITV £ £ £. Also, could it be possible that as a result the winner is really pre-ordained by ITV execs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PADDY75 wrote: »
    If the notion of 'plants' is exceptable to some then would it be exceptable that the public actually getting a say choosing the eventual winner is a fallacy? It's perhaps just imperative that they pick up the phone to vote to make ITV £ £ £. Also, could it be possible that as a result the winner is really pre-ordained by ITV execs?

I don't think that they can rig the votes. The voting is independently monitored and there has been too many scandals in the past with reality TV voting, they wouldn't risk it.

But there is no doubt in my mind that they manipulate public opinion with song choice suitability , judge comments, backing track loudness, outfit suitability, lighting etc.
    It has never been a fair competition.