Frank Sinatra: Our Way BBC1 7 pm Tonight

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Difficult to see the point of this - seven acts perform songs associated with Sinatra, the winner gets to sing at a concert later this year, judges include Dame Joan Collins and Rufus Hound.Obviously there's not a series in this - if the BBC wanted to pay tribute to Sinatra surely they could have repeated one of his concerts at the Royal Albert Hall or one of his American shows.

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hope Alexander doesn't sing
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good idea better than an old film on the other side.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member

I have heard worse on SCD this last series.....:D I will not be watching as I have never got the Sinatra luv.....:D
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Difficult to see the point of this - seven acts perform songs associated with Sinatra, the winner gets to sing at a concert later this year, judges include Dame Joan Collins and Rufus Hound.Obviously there's not a series in this - if the BBC wanted to pay tribute to Sinatra surely they could have repeated one of his concerts at the Royal Albert Hall or one of his American shows.

Exactly,why and what for are the questions that spring to mind here.Will be glad to get back to normal scheduling next week.Its been a long three weeks on the telly.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member

The premise of the show is a bit odd, but surely it's about discovering new talent rather than paying tribute to Sinatra?
    Forum Member

He's not that bad - he sang on the Tim Rice tribute on TV recently. He trained as a classical singer.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    The premise of the show is a bit odd, but surely it's about discovering new talent rather than paying tribute to Sinatra?

New talent that is obliged to sing songs associated with Sinatra ? May be a tenuous connection with this year being the centenary of his birth on December 12, 1915.
    Forum Member
    New talent that is obliged to sing songs associated with Sinatra ? May be a tenuous connection with this year being the centenary of his birth on December 12, 1915.

OK, so it's (hopefully) about discovering new talent as well as paying tribute to Sinatra in his centenary year. I just hope they are encouraged to sing in their own style rather than impersonating him!
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    OK, so it's (hopefully) about discovering new talent as well as paying tribute to Sinatra in his centenary year. I just hope they are encouraged to sing in their own style rather than impersonating him!

I think that's the point, each artist will sing it " my way"
  • saturns ringssaturns rings Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    judges include Dame Joan Collins and Rufus Hound

Oh good grief :o
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I think that's the point, each artist will sing it " my way"

Is it too much to hope for that no one chooses that actual song? :)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll sit out - might stream it and read the comments. Have fun ripping this one to bits, folks...
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difficult to see the point of this - seven acts perform songs associated with Sinatra, the winner gets to sing at a concert later this year, judges include Dame Joan Collins and Rufus Hound.Obviously there's not a series in this - if the BBC wanted to pay tribute to Sinatra surely they could have repeated one of his concerts at the Royal Albert Hall or one of his American shows.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more...and I know which Id prefer to watch too. Who the hell devises these shows I'll never know. But were getting closer and closer to Alan Partridge territory (at that BBC lunch with Tony Hayers) and his increasingly desperate barrel scraping ideas for prime time tv programmes.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't agree more...and I know which Id prefer to watch too. Who the hell devises these shows I'll never know. But were getting closer and closer to Alan Partridge territory (at that BBC lunch with Tony Hayers) and his increasingly desperate barrel scraping ideas for prime time tv programmes.
    Forum Member
    Blueju wrote: »
    Difficult to see the point of this - seven acts perform songs associated with Sinatra, the winner gets to sing at a concert later this year, judges include Dame Joan Collins and Rufus Hound.Obviously there's not a series in this - if the BBC wanted to pay tribute to Sinatra surely they could have repeated one of his concerts at the Royal Albert Hall or one of his American shows.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more...and I know which Id prefer to watch too.

I'm sure there will be repeats of Sinatra concerts and shows during the year. There have been some already.

I'll be interested to see what talent tonight's show might discover - but if there are any hysterical screaming audiences I shall switch off!
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who could forget his Susan Boyle in the sort of Stars in their Eyes show

http://youtu.be/wQqRBVNyncc
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreaded January tv filler. Scraping the barrel !
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jesus Dave Stewart must have a massive tax bill to lend his name to shit like this.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are singing their way:confused:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    They are singing their way:confused:

Yeah totally out of tune. Sinatra must be spinning in his grave.
  • frankwarrenfrankwarren Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good god, these are AWFUL
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Wandered into this. These two boys are butlins level.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that was underwhelming.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine the BBC board meeting

"Right.. how can we waste loads of licence payers money. OK Lets get a team of 20 people to judge who can sing a Sinatra song best"

Why don`t they just save money and show a Sinatra concert.. after all no ones better than him at it.

and why does this need 2 presenters? >:(
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They look smart in the suits.:D