• LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    'Would you like a kiss with that?'

That had me in absolute hysterics!
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    :o
    Because they're autustic. And that is a classic characteristic of Autism. I spend my days working with autustic students. And a great many either refuse to speak or just won't unless you can cajole it out of them.

I have an 18 year old version of both Michael and Alice. It makes the days very interesting, albeit challenging.

Wait a second... that argument doesn't work, it's usually the people they are following that have a disability- in this case, autism and they were really chatty and interested, as was the case with the two lads on last nights show.

They were autistic but were very chatty with their dates and made a lot of effort, but quite often, their dates just don't seem at all interested, whether they have a disability or not.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Wait a second... that argument doesn't work, it's usually the people they are following that have a disability- in this case, autism and they were really chatty and interested, as was the case with the two lads on last nights show.

They were autistic but were very chatty with their dates and made a lot of effort, but quite often, their dates just don't seem at all interested, whether they have a disability or not.
    The programme uses a dating agency for people with learning disabilities to place couples together and the dates are often shown accompanied by carers who sit away from the couple. It isnt just the featured "undateable" that is going to be autistic. And unfortunately, silence and withdrawn behaviour is a classic sign of Autism. Maybe it would be nice to place the likes of Michael with a chatty girl, but perhaps the girls with the agencies are the more withdrawn types. They are probably keen but their Autism will mask that and will come across as disinterested. I work with far more "Alices" than "Michaels" but I assume that is why he was featured as he is so entertaining. Interestingly, some of my autistic students (who will chat) find the show offensive to them and feel people are laughing at them. :(

I believe Daniel's date last night was Down's Syndrome but she was very bright and appeared more emotionally mature than him so I am unsure if that relationship will last. He was so lovely but so childlike.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    The programme uses a dating agency for people with learning disabilities to place couples together and the dates are often shown accompanied by carers who sit away from the couple. It isnt just the featured "undateable" that is going to be autistic. And unfortunately, silence and withdrawn behaviour is a classic sign of Autism. Maybe it would be nice to place the likes of Michael with a chatty girl, but perhaps the girls with the agencies are the more withdrawn types. They are probably keen but their Autism will mask that and will come across as disinterested. I work with far more "Alices" than "Michaels" but I assume that is why he was featured as he is so entertaining. Interestingly, some of my autistic students (who will chat) find the show offensive to them and feel people are laughing at them. :(

I believe Daniel's date last night was Down's Syndrome but she was very bright and appeared more emotionally mature than him so I am unsure if that relationship will last. He was so lovely but so childlike.

It's not all about autism though, the people on the show have all sorts of conditions and yet the trend seems to be that the people the program is following are very keen, chatty and make a lot of effort and the person picked to date them often does not. This even happens when the people they follow are autistic- the two lads did not seem withdrawn at all, yet most of their dates did, as did the French girl, who as far as I know, didn't even have a disability or condition.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not all about autism though, the people on the show have all sorts of conditions and yet the trend seems to be that the people the program is following are very keen, chatty and make a lot of effort and the person picked to date them often does not. This even happens when the people they follow are autistic- the two lads did not seem withdrawn at all, yet most of their dates did, as did the French girl, who as far as I know, didn't even have a disability or condition.

I agree, too often, especially with the female 'dateables' they seem far too stand offish, and are most likely being quiet because they do not like the 'undateable'.

For instance the one who went on the Brighton Eye with Daniel you could tell didn't really like Daniel, but rather than make polite conversation and have a nice date as a friend, she was more unfriendly.

I suspect if she has liked Daniel she would have been way more chatty and friendly.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind. Withdrawing from this because you really aren't understanding what I am saying about Autism characteristics.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not all about autism though, the people on the show have all sorts of conditions and yet the trend seems to be that the people the program is following are very keen, chatty and make a lot of effort and the person picked to date them often does not.

Probably because the chatty, outgoing people are the ones who apply to be on TV programmes. The quieter ones like Alice have obviously agreed to be on the show, but they probably weren't proactively looking to be on TV. They were just approached and accepted the offer.

Alternatively you might get people like Alice applying to be an 'Undateable', but the producers think she's too quiet, so they ask her to be one of the dates instead.

Also the 'Undateables' are the ones who have spent a number of days around the camera crew, so perhaps they just feel more comfortable being filmed. And they're probably quite friendly with the crew, which would also make the first date less nerve-wracking.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think though (and this is going to sound awful) that the dates that seem to work best are where the impairment is about equal. The second girl that Michael went on a date with seemed far less impaired than him and reacted to him in a similar way that perhaps somebody without autism would, whereas the third girl was about the same and it worked out best.

I still maintain that the quite severely impaired aren't going to experience love and a true relationship in it's sincerest form, rather their own version which is essentially based on acting out a part they think they should and then the feelings that may come out of that. But I guess as long as they are both happy and getting a positive experience then that's all that matters. I don't think I'm explaining what I mean very well.
  • funky_nomadfunky_nomad Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Daniel literally made me laugh out loud when he said:

"First emm a cafe, 2 emm play the bowling and 3 I might gonna fancy her. What do you think?" :D

Bless him, he looked so happy, his eyes were all sparkley and alive and he had such a beautiful smile. Personally I love how he talks and would be more than happy to spend time/share a pint with him.

I do hope it works out for him and Charley.
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I absolutely love about this series and find very refreshing is the parents of the people who are the 'Un-dateables'. They are supportive, loving and explain things so well to their sons and daughters. Some of them must have gone through quite a lot too and its amazing to see their relationships with their children and how they want them to settle down and find love too. My BF and I loved seeing the Geordie man who worked in Asda (sorry I can't remember his name) and his dad saying what attracted him to his wife who has the same condition as their son. I think this series makes you realise what you have and makes everything else seem so trivial in comparison.
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daniel is an absolutely top lad! :) I hope it works out for him and the young lass he met at the end. Michael seemed to be trying too hard, but perhaps that's the nature of his autism - but again, I hope it works out well for him.

Said it before, but the programme is so uplifting. Should be far more episodes made. :)
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wmoore wrote: »
    Well Daniel also has a music career.
    Playboy Girls

I keep getting that song stuck in my head since hearing it!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    As he's just got married, I suspect he's not bothered :)
    Anyway for the 'it's all a setup' naysayers, it's the first Undateables Marriage.
    Brent's profile on the Ch4 site.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-undateables/profiles/all/brent

I only recognise the Missus from the picture on the Mail article of their meeting outside the pub.
    Fair number of nice comments on the DM article too.

The Undateables: Two Weddings and a Baby, is on Channel 4 on Monday, February 2 at 9pm

Bumpity bump, Two Weddings and a Baby, starting now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was good seeing those 2 lads walk past Brent while he was swearing and not taking any notice of him.
    Although it was a short clip.

I knew the 'Brent and Chalice are no longer dating' bit of narration was a tease.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Steve's a lovely guy, I hope everything works out for him.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew the 'Brent and Chalice are no longer dating' bit of narration was a tease.
    Yeah, it would have worked if it wasn't all over the newspapers and media sites lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah she's crying, I hope it is real.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was lovely, I started applauding myself! :blush::D
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Brent is just the sweetest man, what a lovely proposal, sigh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL 'I love you, BITCH'.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Oh Brent is just the sweetest man, what a lovely proposal, sigh

I'd marry him! Everyday would be a great laugh! :D
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Hardly twitching at all when he was relaxed with her on the sofa. Seems stress aggravates it.

And what does it matter if he swears all the way through his wedding as wedding are so boring you need something to liven them up.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Yeah, it would have worked if it wasn't all over the newspapers and media sites lol.

Sorry to break this to you, but lots of us don't read news papers and trawl the media sites, including DS.
    I someone hadn't posted the link earlier, I wouldn't have known, as it is, I only know about Brent and Challis, the other Undateables featured I know nothing about.

Feel a little sad for Ray, his relationship doesn't seem to be moving on the way he'd like it to, '$hit or bust love'
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to break this to you, but lots of us don't read news papers and trawl the media sites, including DS.
    I someone hadn't posted the link earlier, I wouldn't have known, as it is, I only know about Brent and Challis, the other Undateables featured I know nothing about.

Feel a little sad for Ray, his relationship doesn't seem to be moving on the way he'd like it to, '$hit or bust love'
    Don't be sorry... maybe I should have included forums. I only look on the Metro website, that's how I knew. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having VERY fixed ideas when you have Autism. Never. :)