Options

Advice about Garmin satnav

gadwallgadwall Posts: 354
Forum Member
I've just switched from a very old TomTom to a Garmin. Finding my way around ok but can't find where you can "browse the route" on Garmin like you can on TomTom. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    No idea but l'd suggest trying here: https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you televisionIser
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is this FAQ which is a bit on the brief side...

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={7a78f610-fcda-11dc-ec92-000000000000}

One thing that I do miss from the TomTom when I changed to Garmin was the ability to edit the route easily. On the TomTom you could just select a part of the route and tell it not to go that way and recalculate. There is no such equivalent on the Garmin.

On the Garmin you have to permanently mark a section of road as a no-go area. Which is a pain if you only want to avoid that road on one particular journey (eg you know it has roadworks and will be jammed solid) but be available for other journeys.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmmm, what made you change from TomTom to Garmin?

I love my TomTom, did look at a Garmin when I was looking to upgrade but didn't see anything that would have made me buy one.

Just interested, that's all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmmm, what made you change from TomTom to Garmin?

I love my TomTom, did look at a Garmin when I was looking to upgrade but didn't see anything that would have made me buy one.

Just interested, that's all.

At the time TomTom were charging a small fortune every time you wanted a map update while Garmin were doing free map upgrades for life. Sods law very soon after I got the Garmin TomTom started doing free map upgrades! >:(:D

Mind you now that I've got a Golf with built in Sat Nav the Garmin is gathering dust on the shelf now. Much easier to press the button on the dash than faff about with the windscreen bracket and plugging in the **** lighter power adapter :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I first had my Tomtom (a good few years ago), it crashed every time I tried to update it. They replaced or repaired it twice but after that I never dared update it. That was one reason for not buying another one. Then I'm going to France and Belgium and checked with someone who goes there regularly and they said they find the Garmin very good. Apparently it tells you which lane to be in.

I will miss the facility of avoiding a part of the route. Tomtom sets the route out in text very well but Garmin seems to make it complicated by listing the same road every time it changes direction. Is that true?

Hope I haven't made the wrong decision.

If you have time, could you explain what Garmin Express means? Is it just the programme for updating? And why should I have it running in the background - that seems unnecessary so I opted out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadwall wrote: »
    Then I'm going to France and Belgium and checked with someone who goes there regularly and they said they find the Garmin very good. Apparently it tells you which lane to be in.
    So do modern TomToms. Can't remember if it happens with the Garmin but the TomTom I last had would put up an image of some junctions to show you where you should be (not quite as good as Google Street View but similar sort of view)
    I will miss the facility of avoiding a part of the route. Tomtom sets the route out in text very well but Garmin seems to make it complicated by listing the same road every time it changes direction. Is that true?
    The inability to quickly and easily edit a route is one of the minus points of the Garmin and one I most miss from the TomTom. Not sure what you mean by listing the same road though?
    If you have time, could you explain what Garmin Express means? Is it just the programme for updating? And why should I have it running in the background - that seems unnecessary so I opted out.
    Garmin Express is a bit like TomTom Home if you ever used that to update your TomTom. Basically all it does is install any updates to the software or maps on your device that may be available. And there is no need to have it running in the background. Unless you really like trying to update your device every day.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to France and Belgium and checked with someone who goes there regularly and they said they find the Garmin very good. Apparently it tells you which lane to be in.
    I love mine in built up areas in France when she tells you to turn left into "Rudi Challsdegerlly" as you cruise straight past Rue de Charles DeGaulle.
    Some parts of Wales are hilarious.
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I have just bought this gizmo for me the dogs b......ks I have never had a Sat nav before but after many rows with my co pilot we gave in

Finding shops and monuments in Carcassonne Perpignan and Barcelona no problem the street pronunciation is hilarious and adds to the journey It is very quick in rerouting when an old man like me gets it wrong
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,114
    Forum Member
    I hate mine
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    If you want the route to go a different way just add one or more intermediate waypoints?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    If you want the route to go a different way just add one or more intermediate waypoints?

But is that as straightforward as saying avoid a certain road?

Snowyghost - what make is yours?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just switched from a very old TomTom to a Garmin. Finding my way around ok but can't find where you can "browse the route" on Garmin like you can on TomTom. Any help would be appreciated.

On mine, having set up a route you go back to the main screen, ans press 'View Map'. This shows the first step of your route. Tap the street name at the top and you go into a listing of the route. Tap 'Show Map' at the bottom of the screen, and you see the whole route on a map. You can move the map around, zoom in and out, etc.
    chrisjr wrote: »
    ...............On the Garmin you have to permanently mark a section of road as a no-go area. Which is a pain if you only want to avoid that road on one particular journey (eg you know it has roadworks and will be jammed solid) but be available for other journeys.

I have a number of 'via points' set as a group in Favourites, for times when I often choose to use a route other than that which I know the Garmin will give. Actually, I have two for each, one for each carriageway.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some will plan a route which might seem logical to a computer, but not what you would actually prefer.

I would suggest using the route planner on Google Earth before setting off and then choosing a few destinations on the route (preferably villages where the main road runs directly through them). Feed these in as destinations before setting off, then choose each one as "Navigate to - recent destinations" during your route. This is the same as setting waypoints, but can actually be easier than using the waypoint facility on some sat-navs.

It works for me anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved from the TomTom to the Garmin when I received the annual demand for £50 for the LIVE service. It was about 4 or 5 years old, and I'd never updated the maps.

I realised I could buy a perfectly good garmin, with lifetime map updates, for about £80 after a discount. So I changed.

The Garmin is a very good device, quicker to plot routes than the TT, and moving a map around is much easier than on the TT.

One thing I've found, though, is that the 'Junctions' feature is absolutely useless - I've never input a junction which it's recognised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I have a number of 'via points' set as a group in Favourites, for times when I often choose to use a route other than that which I know the Garmin will give. Actually, I have two for each, one for each carriageway.
    Which may be OK if you routinely want to go an alternative way. But say you know that a road is blocked by temporary roadworks and just want to route round it on a one off?

On the TomTom it was a simple matter to highlight the road in question on the route list and tell it not to use that road and it went off and recalculated the route. A few taps and job done. Not so easy on the Garmin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Which may be OK if you routinely want to go an alternative way. But say you know that a road is blocked by temporary roadworks and just want to route round it on a one off?

On the TomTom it was a simple matter to highlight the road in question on the route list and tell it not to use that road and it went off and recalculated the route. A few taps and job done. Not so easy on the Garmin

I agree it's a lot more difficult if its a one-off detour. Even to set a "via" you'd need to make a judgement about what the alternative route would be. If you had access to Google Maps you could plot the route, and there's a good chance GM would know about the blocked road.

It's possible that a more expensive model may have this facility - after all, that's generally why they're more expensive.

Yesterday I drove from Southampton to Marwell Zoo, and from there home via the A3 at Petersfield. Without my satnav, I'd never have found my way on either leg.