Did Simon Cowell introduce Leona Lewis to Shayne Ward before she entered X Factor?

amanduhamanduh Posts: 1,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm sure I can remember reading on here that Mr C introduced Leona to Shayne after he'd won and before she went on the show the next year.... only interesting/important if it means Leona was known to him before going on the show and going on to win!
Any info please anyone? I think the info came from Shayne's mum originally so if it's true, obviously she thought it was a bit iffy! Thanks. :)

Comments

• Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way lets just be thankful Leona was brought upon us :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought Leona was a plant. I think there was some mention somewhere that SC and LL had met before the XF.
  • SomebodytoLoveSomebodytoLove Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have very vague recollections about reading that Shayne was introduced to Leona when he was in one of SC's offices.Any more details than that though escape me now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    many of the finalists are already known to simon,
    you'd have to be an idiot not to realise that..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard conspiracy theories about Leona before, mostly from people who couldn't accept the fact she had won fair and square, but that one's new to me.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    omgwtfbbq wrote: »
    I've heard conspiracy theories about Leona before, mostly from people who couldn't accept the fact she had won fair and square, but that one's new to me.

Me too. I've heard many conspiracy theories by the bitter people who are still not over it 4 years on. Never heard that she was introduced to Shayne though.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Did she win fair and square - she absolutely did, all the backing the world from Simon won't make a difference if the public don't like her or her voice, she performed each week and sung her heart out and earned her win.

Did Shayne meet her before her run on XF - I've certainly heard that before, something along the lines of him seeing her at Cowell's offices.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's as likely as Leona eating KFC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Me too. I've heard many conspiracy theories by the bitter people who are still not over it 4 years on. Never heard that she was introduced to Shayne though.

You've both read something in the OP's post which I couldn't see.
    You are the ones mentioning conspiracies and I only saw a polite question.:yawn:

Responses such as these do a total dis-service to a lovely lady who won X-Factor.I have never ever seen Leona being anything other than courteous and polite which certainly cannot be said about all her supporters.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where in my post was I being rude to anyone? :confused:

Editing to add - I see you're also having a dig and generalising all of her fans now, just because of two posts you read (which weren't even rude, at least speaking for myself I wasn't being like that anyway)... that's a lot less courteous and polite than anything else I've read on this thread to be honest, but oh well.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've both read something in the OP's post which I couldn't see.
    You are the ones mentioning conspiracies and I only saw a polite question.:yawn:

Responses such as these do a total dis-service to a lovely lady who won X-Factor.I have never ever seen Leona being anything other than courteous and polite which certainly cannot be said about all her supporters.:(

I completely see where you are coming from but I can expathise with them. Due to Leona's success worldwide, many of her detractors try to nit-pick at anything to bring down her or her fanbase etc. I think the OP was not trying to be malicious. I think they meant well. But it's not irrational to believe the post was when there have been numerous other threads started to undermine Leona's success. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    I completely see where you are coming from but I can expathise with them. Due to Leona's success worldwide, many of her detractors try to nit-pick at anything to bring down her or her fanbase etc. I think the OP was not trying to be malicious. I think they meant well. But it's not irrational to believe the post was when there have been numerous other threads started to undermine Leona's success. :)

I agree - maybe Somebody thinks I was saying otherwise though, but I wasn't. I was talking about a range of "conspiracy theories" about Leona before the X Factor that were posted on the forums when she was on the show, mostly by people who didn't like her and who would use any excuse to call her all sorts of names. The OP clearly isn't doing that though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a strong possibility that I have mis-interpreted your intentions and for that I apologise.

I've got to add though that even when I re-read both of your responses I still feel that the tone of both is condescending and dismissive.

Anyway its off topic now...........so I'll apologise for that too.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's ok, I'm sorry if I did come across as condescending or rude or anything similar towards anyone, but I didn't mean to be that way at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's ok, I'm sorry if I did come across as condescending or rude or anything similar towards anyone, but I didn't mean to be that way at all.

Reckon we are quits now.:D
  • cyrilsneercyrilsneer Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was talk she had been to Sony BMG (and pretty much most other record label offices) before, which isn't surprising at all given she had a previous deal and said herself she went everywhere to try and get signed. Simon Cowell was head of A&R there ... so yes, he would have met her without a doubt.

It doesn't particularly mean it was fixed for her in any way or she is any less talented - the music business is a small world. Of course there is some head hunting that goes on in order to get a credible final 12 who can go on stage live and perform week after week ... you really think just ANYONE could do that? Of course not. I have heard similar stuff about G4, Steve, Rowetta, Nikki, Brenda, Alex - all seasoned performers and known in the industry but not neccasarily the public.

Have never heard about Shayne meeting her previous, but if it came from his mum, why would she lie?
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be true, but either way it doesnt take anything away from Leona's win or her talent. She is a good artist and deserved to get a break in the industry. The show is heavily scripted and orchestrated anyway, that's just the way it works. But the aim is to get a highly talented winner who can have a succesful career here and in the rest of the world. Leona obviously fits that criteria so everything is fair.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyrilsneer wrote: »
    There was talk she had been to Sony BMG (and pretty much most other record label offices) before, which isn't surprising at all given she had a previous deal and said herself she went everywhere to try and get signed. Simon Cowell was head of A&R there ... so yes, he would have met her without a doubt.

I don't think he was ever Head of A&R at BMG, some articles seem to say he was Head of A&R at RCA Records shortly before the start of Pop Idol, he was certainly a senior A&R figure there. But since Idol, he would appear to have been solely focussed on his own label imprints (S Records was established in 2000) and the Idol brand itself (then launching his new company, Syco, around 2003/04).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    It could be true, but either way it doesnt take anything away from Leona's win or her talent. She is a good artist and deserved to get a break in the industry. The show is heavily scripted and orchestrated anyway, that's just the way it works. But the aim is to get a highly talented winner who can have a succesful career here and in the rest of the world. Leona obviously fits that criteria so everything is fair.

I fully agree with this except for the last sentence, I would rewrite it, "nothing is fair and nothing is what it seems".
    But Leona deserves a successful career, not because she won as I don't think that it is meaningful, but because she is talented.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I don't think he was ever Head of A&R at BMG, some articles seem to say he was Head of A&R at RCA Records shortly before the start of Pop Idol, he was certainly a senior A&R figure there. But since Idol, he would appear to have been solely focussed on his own label imprints (S Records was established in 2000) and the Idol brand itself (then launching his new company, Syco, around 2003/04).

At the time of Idol and upto the first couple of XF's at least, he had a base in the BMG offices. Whatever his title within the group, if he was A&R in the years previous, anywhere, he would likely have met her. I remember during the first few XF's they showed the contestants (possibly it was Steve in XF1 i think) sometimes going to his office to meet him and they showed the BMG offices. Obviously probably set up though i guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona, like most of the finalists, was probably a plant. At a guess, I think the following were 'plants':

Season 2
    Shayne Ward
    Maria Lawson
    Nicholas Dorsett

Season 3
    Leona Lewis
    Ashley Mckenzie
    Ray Quinn
    Ben Mills

Season 4
    Rhydian Roberts
    Alisha Bennett
    Niki Evans

Season 5
    Alexandra Burke
    Laura White
    Diana Vickers
    Ruth Lorenzo
    JLS
    Austin Drage
    Scott Bruton

Season 6
    Joe McElderry
    Danyl Johnson
    Olly Murs
    Rachel Adedeji
    Lucie Jones
    Jamie Archer
    Stacey Solomon

I'm fine with them planting people just so long as they're decent, season 5 seems to have a lot and that's widely perceived to be the best season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Postbox wrote: »
    I think the following were 'plants':

Season 3
    Leona Lewis
    Ashley Mckenzie
    Ray Quinn
    Ben Mills

OMG!! Where on earth do you get that from?! (We need a ROFLMAO smilie!!!)

Yes Ben was an early favourite, but trust me, he was NOT a plant.

Can't speak for the rest 'cause I don't know them and have never met them, but I do know Ben.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saz249 wrote: »
    OMG!! Where on earth do you get that from?! (We need a ROFLMAO smilie!!!)

Yes Ben was an early favourite, but trust me, he was NOT a plant.

Can't speak for the rest 'cause I don't know them and have never met them, but I do know Ben.

I'm just guessing on the ones who seemed talented and commercial enough to get a deal without the show.;)

So Ben wasn't a plant? Hurray!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I dont think Ben, Ruth & Rhyd were plants and Scott didnt deserve to be one if he was, he was cr*p ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Postbox wrote: »
    Leona, like most of the finalists, was probably a plant. At a guess, I think the following were 'plants':

I'm fine with them planting people just so long as they're decent, season 5 seems to have a lot and that's widely perceived to be the best season.

I don't think all of them were "plants" ... i'd hazard a guess most people who ever make it to final 12 were either asked to audition (either from being known to either Syco or BMG, recommended via a contact/scout, or spotted at BGT auditions and asked to go for XF instead) but i guess there are those (like Ben) who just turn up and have a history of singing live and being on stage so are deemed "able" to take the pressure of being in the final stages. I seriously doubt anyone (other than literally 2 or 3 people) have ever made it that far without some kind of experience. As it is, the contestants are throwing up beside the stage week after week, you couldnt just put someone inexperienced up there and expect them to be ok live, too much risk of people losing their bottle one week and refusing to go on or people fluffing the starts etc. It would make the show look a lot less polished.

I'm thinking possibly Leona and Shayne were truly planted to win - cos they were both obviously known to the record company and you can kinda tell they were both artists who are quite introverted so they probably couldn't have ever launched them without it being off the back of weeks and weeks of TV show publicity but they would have still had to get through all the rounds of public voting fair and square in order to do that. The last thing they would ever do with this show is actually fix the phone lines, but the editing and talent scoutings fair game.