NFL Draft 2011

FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
Forum Member
✭✭
Round 1 overnight on Thursday (makes it easier to watch it Friday morning and avoid the yawnfest on BBC1 and ITV).

Rounds 2 & 3 overnight Friday - first 3 rounds on TV (ESPN)

The rest on Saturday.

Mock your first ten choices here:

1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton QB
It’s looking like they’ll go QB – although they shouldn’t – and that they’ll take Newton –again, they shouldn’t (it should be Gabbert) but what do I know?

2. Denver Broncos Marcell Dareus DT
Fits well with them and is a solid pick.

3. Buffalo Bills Von Miller OLB
Some say he might be the best player in the draft – might be a one trick pony though.

4. Cincinatti Bengals Blaine Gabbert QB
With the Palmer situation they may jump here. .

5. Arizona Cardinals A.J.Green WR
Might be the best WR in the draft in years

6. Cleveland Browns Patrick Peterson CB
He probably is the best player in the draft.

7. San Francisco 49rs Robert Quinn DE/OLB
Had a year off otherwise would have been higher. He would give them a fierce pass rush.

8. Tennessee Titans Nick Fairley DT
He was a No1 pick a few weeks back. Concerns about only having 1 year production (and ‘drive’) but has definite ‘beast’ potential.

9. Dallas Cowboys J.J.Watt DT/E
Seem to be going cold on Tyron Smith (who has been talked up recently) and have never been warm on Prince A. Good power, motor and attitude. Could see them trading down as there are players coming after that many teams could covet.

10. Washington Redskins Julio Jones WR
He’s another player who could well be coveted and could attract trades. Jones with a bad foot much of the season and at the combine but still impressed.

Comments

• TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really know enough to do a mock draft but I think that Cam Newton is bad news. He looks like JaMarcus Russell MK2.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really know enough to do a mock draft but I think that Cam Newton is bad news. He looks like JaMarcus Russell MK2.

He's more talented than Russell, and has a better work ethic, but he's at least two years away from being a serious contributor (and could use that as 'seasoning' time) IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    He's more talented than Russell, and has a better work ethic, but he's at least two years away from being a serious contributor (and could use that as 'seasoning' time) IMO.

I don't like his attitude in the press at all, he thinks he's made it already. Personally I don't see a first choice QB in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like his attitude in the press at all, he thinks he's made it already. Personally I don't see a first choice QB in there.

His dad's a piece of work as well.

He's another Tebow (hyped TE playing QB) for me.

I agree he's not the best QB but it's a sexy pick - and the assorted brains on NFL network (and outside) some of whom will have good contacts on the inside - all have him as the first pick.
  • SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    Cardinals needs a QB after going through 4 last year.

Really hoping my Seahawks pick a QB at pick #25. Sick of the aged version of Matt Hasselbeck be an utter liability.

49ers already have a good pass rush so I think they go after Paterson after their secondary was torched last season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can somebody explain the whole draft thing in simple easy terms. I'm really hoping to get into NFL this year, and I've got a San Diego chargers jersey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    49ers already have a good pass rush so I think they go after Paterson after their secondary was torched last season.

Very good on one side, something the same level on the other will give opposition fits.

If Peterson falls to 7 he's in San Franciso though - Cowboys should have blown their last game - he'd have been theirs then:mad:
    Can somebody explain the whole draft thing in simple easy terms. I'm really hoping to get into NFL this year, and I've got a San Diego chargers jersey.

Basically the teams are ranked 1 to 32 based on the previous season. Subject to trades (on the day or previously) - and there will have been some - they stay in that order for the whole draft.

They then pick from the crop of college players leaving after their senior year or earlier.

There are seven rounds in the draft.

Teams can trade picks for existing players or other picks. For example, a high first round pick could go for a lower pick in that round plus picks in other rounds. This often happens when a strong team covets a particular player and swops with a weaker team who want more picks.

The players left over after the 7th round become undrafted free agents (UDFAs) and any team can sign them as well.

They normally then go to training camps with their team and hope to make the roster. Every year some picks in every 'round will 'bust' - not even make a roster or turn out down the road to have a poor career whilst some UDFAs will have fine, even Hall of Fame, careers;

They may be less trading this year as the players are in dispute with the owners so current players aren't in the mix yet and teams can't trade any of next years picks - another fairly frequent action.

Hope that helps.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    There's 7 rounds isn't there, & don't the Patriots have 11 pics after some of the trades they made such as trading Randy Moss, last year?

Also interesting is there may not be a 2011 season if the NFLPA & NFL can't come up with a new collective bargaining agreement deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Peterson falls to 7 he's in San Franciso though - Cowboys should have blown their last game - he'd have been theirs then:mad:

Basically the teams are ranked 1 to 32 based on the previous season. Subject to trades (on the day or previously) - and there will have been some - they stay in that order for the whole draft.

They then pick from the crop of college players leaving after their senior year or earlier.

There are seven rounds in the draft.

Teams can trade picks for existing players or other picks. For example, a high first round pick could go for a lower pick in that round plus picks in other rounds. This often happens when a strong team covets a particular player and swops with a weaker team who want more picks.

The players left over after the 7th round become undrafted free agents (UDFAs) and any team can sign them as well.

They normally then go to training camps with their team and hope to make the roster. Every year some picks in every 'round will 'bust' - not even make a roster or turn out down the road to have a poor career whilst some UDFAs will have fine, even Hall of Fame, careers;

They may be less trading this year as the players are in dispute with the owners so current players aren't in the mix yet and teams can't trade any of next years picks - another fairly frequent action.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you. That does help a lot.

Is the college players in the NCAA that somtimes appears on ESPN?

What tv channels with NFL be on this year and when does the season start?
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Thank you. That does help a lot.

What tv channels with NFL be on this year and when does the season start?

SKY show the main games[6 & 9pm] on Sunday night, not sure what channel SNF & MNF will be on, but bare in mind that the whole of the 2011 season might be cancelled if a new CBA cannot be not agreed to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes

Those are what's called Division 1 schools. Players from Division 2 (also known as Junior College) may also get picked but we won't see their games on TV.

I suspect the CBA will be sorted out in the summer.

The season is due to start early September (1st Thursday I think) if all is ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SKY show the main games[6 & 9pm] on Sunday night, not sure what channel SNF & MNF will be on, but bare in mind that the whole of the 2011 season might be cancelled if a new CBA cannot be not agreed to.
    Ok thanks.

Lets hope they sort it out then.

Yes

Those are what's called Division 1 schools. Players from Division 2 (also known as Junior College) may also get picked but we won't see their games on TV.

I suspect the CBA will be sorted out in the summer.

The season is due to start early September (1st Thursday I think) if all is ok.
    Ah right. They are the amateurs being promoted to pros then. thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's got even messier now, reports of players turning up for training to find gates locked and being sent home.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the latest happenings in court, even though I know the Owners are going to appeal I am more confident than I was that we will have a season in 2011 with the legal situation going on in the background.

Now its more about what happens when the legal situation is over, could this really be the last Draft? as that seems to be what the legal team are after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    After the latest happenings in court, even though I know the Owners are going to appeal I am more confident than I was that we will have a season in 2011 with the legal situation going on in the background.

Now its more about what happens when the legal situation is over, could this really be the last Draft? as that seems to be what the legal team are after.

They'll sort it out in August - might cause the loss of a couple of regular season games but likely not. What's happening now is the usual posturing in such situations (according to a lawyer expert in such matters speaking on NFL Network when the lockout started - he outlined the likely pattern of events and is pretty accurate so far).

I don't think the Draft is an issue - it's the main reason for relative parity in US sports.

There will almost certainly be a rookie salary cap - the existing NFL players wouldn't object and the College players don't have the power. This will actually imporove the draft as it would make trading into the top 3 picks more attractive.

I think the owners will have to divert more money for protection of players after their (often very short) careers are over.

A bit of bad news -which shows how easy the Draft can change:

Marcus Cannon - a mauling right tackle who looked likely to do well there, or very well at guard, has been diagnosed with cancer, non Hodgkins Lymphoma, very treatable but stil going to hit him hard.

He goes from a pretty certain 2nd round pick (low 1st in some mocks) to possibly out of the draft altogether - although I suspect that straight after "Mr Irrelevant" (last pick in Round 7) is called his phone might explode as he'd be a low risk UDFA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I feel like this is gonna hurt the players drafted after the 3rd round due to all of the waiting free agents out there. There gonna have to really work there tails off in camp to get a roster spot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikede1515 wrote: »
    I feel like this is gonna hurt the players drafted after the 3rd round due to all of the waiting free agents out there. There gonna have to really work there tails off in camp to get a roster spot.

The worst hit will be the undrafted ones because (of course, it struck me late) no Free Agency means no UDFA.

Could lose some potential stars who quickly have to decide whether to hang and hope or move their life in another direction.
  • crabstercrabster Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they really going to risk the season not going ahead?

To think that something so massive as the NFL season could not happen just seems totally unbelievable. Like I could never seen the English Premier League going on strike.Surely they will sort something out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crabster wrote: »
    Are they really going to risk the season not going ahead?

To think that something so massive as the NFL season could not happen just seems totally unbelievable. Like I could never seen the English Premier League going on strike.Surely they will sort something out!

They have missed matches before so it's a possibility. Some issues have been settled though so I think they'll be alright.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The season will g ahead, don't worry.

Well, my mock was a swish and miss:p

I thought the most certain pick was Dareaus at 2.

Wrong.

Not displeased with my Cowboys.

If Fairley is legitimate he and Suh wwill scare people.

Falcons:eek:

Good player but what did you give up:confused:
  • oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased with the Cowboys pick...filled a massive need
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilcat wrote: »
    Pleased with the Cowboys pick...filled a massive need

He'll start on the right side - Free is fine on the left (despite what the studio say). That's where he played at College. He'll learn and have the chance to move over.

Like Moffit - probably in the 4th - as well if we can get him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    As a Saints fan I'm really happy with the pick of Cameron Jordan. We needed a good defensive end, and from what I saw of California last season (admittedly not much) and his Combine performance, it looks like a good pick. Mark Ingram puts another Heisman winner in our backfield as well (how likely it is Bush stays I'm not sure right enough). Good picks from the Saints.

Not surprised at Newton going first, Carolina badly needed a QB, but I'm not sure hes ready to be an NFL starter yet. I guess time will tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the chargers get anyone good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Did the chargers get anyone good?

They took Corey Liuget out of Illinois, who was the best defensive tackle in the Big Ten last year.

Their second round pick was Marcus Gilchrist, who must have had some Combine because I didn't even see him as the best cornerback at Clemson last year.

They've gone for defensive talent mainly, which they badly needed after last year.