Options

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2012

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Lifetime Achievement award for Sir Henry Cecil ?

i would imagine it will be Seb Coe, tbh, though Cecil would be a worthy winner also.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i would imagine it will be Seb Coe, tbh, though Cecil would be a worthy winner also.

Seb can have it any time over the next 20 years..........Sir Henry looks to be on his last legs............:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Seb can have it any time over the next 20 years..........Sir Henry looks to be on his last legs............:o

I know what you mean, but I don't see how they can fail to award it to Coe this year given everything he has done for the Olympic and Paralympic games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean, but I don't see how they can fail to award it to Coe this year given everything he has done for the Olympic and Paralympic games.

I've got in the back of my mind that there is some special special award that they give once in a blue moon, which sort of stands above the regular Lifetime Achievemnt awardt.

But I can't find anywhere any mention of it, so it may be my imagination :confused:
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few who deserves a Lifetime Achievement award, in my opinion.

Lester Piggott is someone comes to mind. A true living legend. He's not in great health either. I think it's disgusting that he has never been given any official recognition since he was stripped of his OBE. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I've got in the back of my mind that there is some special special award that they give once in a blue moon, which sort of stands above the regular Lifetime Achievemnt awardt.

But I can't find anywhere any mention of it, so it may be my imagination :confused:

He got a special gold award, which was a one off, for his involvement purely in the olympic bid. I don't see how that is reflective of his hugely successful sporting career and all the work he did since then to make the games great.

Besides which, Seve won two seperate life time acheivement awards.....;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Quite a few who deserves a Lifetime Achievement award, in my opinion.

Lester Piggott is someone comes to mind. A true living legend. He's not in great health either. I think it's disgusting that he has never been given any official recognition since he was stripped of his OBE. :(

Piggott won two seperate Special Achievement Awards in 1984 and 1994. Considering he is reportedly a grade a bastard some would say that is more than he deserves.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piggott won two seperate Special Achievement Awards in 1984 and 1994. Considering he is reportedly a grade a bastard some would say that is more than he deserves.

Oh that's news to me :o In what ways is he a horrible man?

Anyway I'm not sure his personality detracts from his accomplishments as arguably the greatest ever British jockey
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    John Terry must have a good chance. The Scotland football team also a good chance for the team award.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    I see Murray's not even turning up now, so that rules him out you'd imagine, not that he'll mind that much
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    I see Murray's not even turning up now, so that rules him out you'd imagine, not that he'll mind that much

I don't see why. The BBC will just have a link up no doubt. He's definitely going to be nominated so it's up to the public vote at the end of the day.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that he's suddenly not turning up. It was never likely as the event clashes with his usual pre-season training which is in Miami. They aren't not going to nominated him because he can't be there, but being in the studio is bound to encourage a few extra votes. Despite the BBC hype, winning SPOTY is not actually the ultimate prize in sport.

It'll be a great night out for those who can make it, but if you are worthy of a nomination, you wouldn't prioritise it above training. Think of all the athletes who missed the Olympic opening ceremony. I felt sad for them, but the actual sport had to come first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe Calzaghe won it in 2007 when he was in Las Vegas to watch a Ricky Hatton fight the previous night. Ricky was 3rd having the slightly better excuse of having been in the fight :)

Yes, might cost Andy a few votes, but in no way rules him out of contention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well Murray didn't have much chance anyway so it's not as if I'm saying that this is costing him. He was always going to win second really

Again I can't see that he cares less about it. If he did he'd be there surely in fairness

I'd say it will indeed cost him a few, link up or not. With so many leading contenders people may not be as pushed to vote for him if he's not there in person

I think it could well be a lot tighter between him and Farah now

I notice his odds have also increased with a few bookies.

Saying all this though, this award is WIggins'
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    My first few posts on here for 4 months (DS so depressing these days).

I mentioned last year about hoping Jimmy Savile would win a special award posthumously for the marathons he had done for many years. If he did win it. What would the chances of it being stripped of it by now after the ongoing sexual allegations? Quite a lot I assume.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Got to be Mo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well Murray didn't have much chance anyway so it's not as if I'm saying that this is costing him. He was always going to win second really'

To be fair, that's just what you really said :
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone thinking Wiggins is almost bound to win SPOTY should get in touch with their bookie, given that he is still on offer generally at only a shade odds on. And also decent odds about Murray and Farah if you think they have a really good chance of winning. :

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner

...shows best odds on offer as :

Wiggins 5/6
    Murray 5/1
    Farah 11/2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair, that's just what you really said :

Apologies Mr. Pedantic I'll be sure to re-read all my posts ten times before posting in future

Okay, I think his chance of winning is now definitely gone but he'd a slim chance if he turned up imo. Slim.

This isn't costing him because I think Bradley Wiggins would have won anyway. All I'm saying is that now he can definitely be ruled out.

I want him to win but that's how it is

Oh I don't know really
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone thinking Wiggins is almost bound to win SPOTY should get in touch with their bookie, given that he is still on offer generally at only a shade odds on. And also decent odds about Murray and Farah if you think they have a really good chance of winning. :

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner

...shows best odds on offer as :

Wiggins 5/6
    Murray 5/1
    Farah 11/2

Generally wouldn't recommend on voting for something like this as public voting can be unpredictible but I'd definitely recommend the 5/6 alright
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Murray didn't have much chance anyway so it's not as if I'm saying that this is costing him. He was always going to win second really

Again I can't see that he cares less about it. If he did he'd be there surely in fairness

'

Every year andy is training abroad when they host SPOTY. In a sense you are correct in so much as he would undoubtedly rather win the Australian open, quite rightly really.

However there is a snide tone to your comments that seem to suggest you are having a bit of a dig at him for not prioritising this over his preparation for the next season. That might not be what you intend, but it is certainly what comes across.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally wouldn't recommend on voting for something like this as public voting can be unpredictible but I'd definitely recommend the 5/6 alright

There have been hotter favourites than that who have lost.

I'm interested to see if the recent controversys around road cycling will impact on the voting for SPOTY tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Every year andy is training abroad when they host SPOTY. In a sense you are correct in so much as he would undoubtedly rather win the Australian open, quite rightly really.

However there is a snide tone to your comments that seem to suggest you are having a bit of a dig at him for not prioritising this over his preparation for the next season. That might not be what you intend, but it is certainly what comes across.

You couldn't be more wrong, I couldn't honestly care less if he turns up. I don't care much for who wins SPOTY anyway, so if he has training to be doing he's far better off. I'd be the last person that would have a dig at Andy for anything. Don't see how it can be seen as having a dig really, it's up to him if he wants to go or not and he's clearly doing this for his best interests. I'm sure it's a great night and occasion though so I guess it'd probably be hard missing it. You'd have to be very sad, frankly, if you'd get upset by him missing this :p

It's all about getting into the best shape that he can for the AO. He has a great chance this year :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There have been hotter favourites than that who have lost.

I'm interested to see if the recent controversys around road cycling will impact on the voting for SPOTY tbh.

Given the year that's in it though, I'm sure it'll be watched more than previous years. Would surprise me if we had a surprise this year but who knows I guess

Saying that Wiggo has been tipped since day 1, is still being tipped everywhere and has been topping polls (i know they don't mean much :p) online.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it wasn't him. He seems a likeable bloke too and he's popular with the public
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tickets are on sale from tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in going - very steep at £50 + booking fee though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20104604

Not sure how BBC can justify that cost - sure you'd expect to pay something to cover costs of hiring the arena etc. but £50? :mad:

As a comparison the Strictly Come Dancing show at Wembley arena next Month costs £20 ticket but £18 of that is being donated to Children In Need so effectively it's charging £2 to cover costs. Why such a massive difference for Sports Personality? :confused:

Had seriously thought of going this year but no way at that price?