Is obesity really an addiction to food or laziness?

Beady Eye 2013Beady Eye 2013 Posts: 295
Forum Member
I mean they say there are foods that make you feel better at sex, fat, poisoned, ill or even better, any of it true?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I don't quite see the link between your thread title and your post content?
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think for a lot of people food is caught up with emotion, which makes people over eat. Not necessarily that the food is addictive, but the that eating meets an ever present emotional need, and that continues unless you address the emotional need.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, many believe there is a 'fat gene' but no-one explains where it came from. Go back 50 years and there were many fewer obese people than today and we were eating post war stuff like suet puddings, vegetables cooked in far too much salt etc. It's true people do have different metabolic rates but it does sadden me how many very overweight/obese people, particularly young women, there are with small babies. I think the main problem is the amount of processed food and junk food people eat. When I was young it was very rarely we ate between meals and crisps, sweet etc were a treat not breakfast! A bottle of pepsi in a cafe was a treat and a second not allowed and multi bags of crisps didn't exist. Fast food was fish and chips ( expensive for a family) or Wimpys. Too many parents don't have clue how to cook today. Education may help but for kids raised on McDonalds as soon as they're on solids it may already be too late. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's laziness. I love cooking and I go out for meals quite a bit, so I know I have to exercise because otherwise I'd just get massive. I don't go for really long gym sessions, I just take my dog for walks. I also eat a lot when I'm bored which isn't good
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think for a lot of people food is caught up with emotion, which makes people over eat. Not necessarily that the food is addictive, but the that eating meets an ever present emotional need, and that continues unless you address the emotional need.

Emotion, yep, certainly correct. if I feel fed up, i normally eat more, in fact I pick and I will go out and buy some chocolate.

Then the problem is I feel guilty of doing it and it make me feel even more fed up.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Well, many believe there is a 'fat gene' but no-one explains where it came from. Go back 50 years and there were many fewer obese people than today and we were eating post war stuff like suet puddings, vegetables cooked in far too much salt etc. It's true people do have different metabolic rates but it does sadden me how many very overweight/obese people, particularly young women, there are with small babies. I think the main problem is the amount of processed food and junk food people eat. When I was young it was very rarely we ate between meals and crisps, sweet etc were a treat not breakfast! A bottle of pepsi in a cafe was a treat and a second not allowed and multi bags of crisps didn't exist. Fast food was fish and chips ( expensive for a family) or Wimpys. Too many parents don't have clue how to cook today. Education may help but for kids raised on McDonalds as soon as they're on solids it may already be too late. :(

Is part of the problem not having compulsary Home Economics in schools any more?
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it starts with laziness/bad parenting/lack of education and then becomes an addiction, craving the salt and fat in the crap that passes for "fast food".
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes down to laziness in some cases and in others it's lack of education or confidence in their ability to cook a balanced healthy meal that tastes good.

Then you have the people who tie in food with how they feel, I find this to be more common in women though. For example someone is miserable today so will eat something indulgent to 'make them feel better'.

Smudges dad, it was when I was at school over a decade ago but you don't learn enough of the basics in my opinion and I think in terms of actual cooking time I did maybe 10 hours per year which is poor really.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think obesity is mainly a bad diet, or how the body reacts to the food you eat.

I have been on a diet for six months. Lost no weight - and that's after exercising 90 minutes per day and being on a calorie controlled diet.

Explain that?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody has mentioned money. Why are so many low income families overweight ? Their budget does limit the food they can afford and they often end up eating the likes of chips, sausages, burgers et al...cheap calories in effect. Eating 'healthy' is sometimes not an option when you have little or no money.

Those of us who can afford to fill our fridge/freezer and cupboards with food should think ourselves lucky these days.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think obesity is mainly a bad diet, or how the body reacts to the food you eat.

I have been on a diet for six months. Lost no weight - and that's after exercising 90 minutes per day and being on a calorie controlled diet.

Explain that?

I can't explain it. Unless you are a miracle of biology then it is impossible not to lose weight if you are expending more calories than you are consuming.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a secret eater. I have been this way forever, even when I was at school. I also eat when I have any emotion from boredom to elation to sadness.

I lost over 2 stones a couple of years ago and I managed to keep them off. But without me constantly monitoring my food I could easily put the weight back on again.

Apart from walking the dogs, I don't exercise. I think obesity is a case of loving food and not excersing. My husband is very slim. He doesn't exercise but he doesn't get any pleasure from food so he doesn't think to eat. He is one of those people that says 'I forgot to eat lunch today'. I could NEVER forget to eat lunch. I think of food all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is part of the problem not having compulsary Home Economics in schools any more?

Definitely and that would be part of the education but realistically that wouldn't start until the child was 11 years old and by that time far too many have been given sweet foods, fizzy drinks etc. on demand for too many years. I had domestic science at school from the age of 11 to 14 which, each year, was a term,of cookery, a term of dress making, and a term of recycling furniture clothes etc.and it did give me the basics. Also, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with my mum when I was very young and although she wasn't a great cook, again, I learned the basics. What we didn't learn back then was nutrition and that should definitely be taught in primary school today. The problem we've had for a few years now, though, is that too many parents don't know how to cook so how can they teach their children?
  • WestminsterflyeWestminsterflye Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I am a secret eater. I have been this way forever, even when I was at school.

HI, obesity appears to me to be a multi-faceted thing, with many contributing factors, many of which are mis-conceptions that have turned into 'truths' for the obese.
    A list of truths seems to me to be appealing, like when you get good advice from someone but that advice seems extremely hard to take, like ending a destructive relationship.
    For example I think it was Michael Mosely who when talking about the benefits of a low calorie day intimated that the feeling of hunger isn't neccesarily a bad thing. Other truths that i have come to appreciate are that you develop a taste for healthy food, even if they are not your first choice, also, educating yourself regarding the affect certain foods have on the human body helps you avoid the bad foods.
    There are other 'truths' and they can be used to tweak your diet.
    I am not going to even start to list some of the mis-conceptions as I think that would be patronising. If theres a stomach (excuse the unintended pun) for them then a collection may be helpful?
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned money. Why are so many low income families overweight ? Their budget does limit the food they can afford and they often end up eating the likes of chips, sausages, burgers et al...cheap calories in effect. Eating 'healthy' is sometimes not an option when you have little or no money.

Those of us who can afford to fill our fridge/freezer and cupboards with food should think ourselves lucky these days.

Rubbish! Convenience food is more expensive than fresh ingredients. Anyone who uses that as an excuse for being obese is just trying to cover up that they're lazy and can't be bothered to cook from scratch or use ingredients because they think it is far easier to just shove something already made in the oven.

Fresh vegetables can be dirt cheap - go to a market, or a proper greengrocer and see the prices. Also, most supermarkets now have "value" fresh fruit and veg that aren't always cosmetically the prettiest but still taste the same and have the same nutritional value as the more expensive "perfect" ones.
  • Beady Eye 2013Beady Eye 2013 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    Rubbish! Convenience food is more expensive than fresh ingredients. Anyone who uses that as an excuse for being obese is just trying to cover up that they're lazy and can't be bothered to cook from scratch or use ingredients because they think it is far easier to just shove something already made in the oven.

Fresh vegetables can be dirt cheap - go to a market, or a proper greengrocer and see the prices. Also, most supermarkets now have "value" fresh fruit and veg that aren't always cosmetically the prettiest but still taste the same and have the same nutritional value as the more expensive "perfect" ones.

The fruit may be cheap but all the other stuff such as bills and toiletries and clothing etc aren't dirt cheap. I agree though some prioritising maybe needed.
  • moanzalotmoanzalot Posts: 460
    Forum Member

Explain that?

Well, either the 'controlled' amount of calories you are giving yourself is too much or your diet is completely wrong. If you are truly doing 90mins exercise a day + eating healthily you should be dropping weight - even if its only a lb a week
    Forum Member
    Metabolisms for some people are non existent.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »

Sorry, but your wrong. Bottom line for low income families is calories, full bellies and even 'value' fruit, veg and meat is often out or their budget. Its not always ready meals as such but often chips, burgers, sausages fish fingers et al. Budget is a bigger factor than ignorance of food or being lazy very often, more so than the stereotypical image of people that you seem keen to see.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but your wrong. Bottom line for low income families is calories, full bellies and even 'value' fruit, veg and meat is often out or their budget. Its not always ready meals as such but often chips, burgers, sausages fish fingers et al. Budget is a bigger factor than ignorance of food or being lazy very often, more so than the stereotypical image of people that you seem keen to see.

You're genralising a whole culture of struggling families you know...
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not always lack of money. I know an obese couple who have plenty of money but live off pizza and ready meals and will not touch fruit and vegetables. They are addicted to fat, sugar and salt without a doubt.
    Forum Member
    birdsong wrote: »
    It's not always lack of money. I know an obese couple who have plenty of money but live off pizza and ready meals and will not touch fruit and vegetables. They are addicted to fat, sugar and salt without a doubt.

Surely their bodies must be in a terrible state, even if they are skinny :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to add to the pot that some people really do have a medical condition causing them to gain weight (even if they eat very low calorie/fat controlled diet and exercise vigorously several times a week amongst other things), and only when its diagnosed will the weight come off.

Its not always down to laziness or lack of money.

I speak from experience :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I just wanted to add to the pot that some people really do have a medical condition causing them to gain weight (even if they eat very low calorie/fat controlled diet and exercise vigorously several times a week amongst other things), and only when its diagnosed will the weight come off.

Its not always down to laziness or lack of money.

I speak from experience :(

Yep, Medical conditions such as hormonal imbalance i.e hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome can make people gain weight even though they eat the right amount of calories per day.
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely their bodies must be in a terrible state, even if they are skinny :eek:

Yes, of course. We can all see that but they either can't or won't. It's taken me a long time but I've reached the conclusion that it is their life to lead as they wish, a hard stance to take when all around there are healthy eating messages.