Long Lost Family

Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,197
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just watched one of the most moving stories that I have ever seen on Long Lost Family - in which a woman was reunited with both her mother and her father.

What I don't understand is - why is this new series having its first airing on itv3 when previous series were so successful on itv1 ?

Comments

• bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like it was on before. Did the woman find her mother first, then ask the program to help her find her dad? If so that ep was in the last series.
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's correct -but as one of the letters written was dated May 2014, I assumed it was a new episode!
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's correct -but as one of the letters written was dated May 2014, I assumed it was a new episode!

Last series was on July/August time IIRC and sometimes the meetings are filmed quite close to transmission
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there an up to date thread for this? I saw the show last night and couldn't find one.
  • NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    Is there an up to date thread for this? I saw the show last night and couldn't find one.

Let's just start on this one shall we?

I sit in tears at every episode.
  • justannejustanne Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's just start on this one shall we?

I sit in tears at every episode.

How can you not? So much loss, so much love, so much emotion.

• Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the second story best. It's always a bit disappointing when the relative being sought has died.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the part when the welsh mother found out her son had a phd and was a scientist at Cardiff university. She was so happy he had done well for himself.
  • ErinnaErinna Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so happy for Corrine finding her son, she felt at peace for the first time in 39 years.

Glad the other person found his brother, he looked so like his mum. Sad she had passed away.
  • NorfolkPoppyNorfolkPoppy Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    Erinna wrote: »
    I was so happy for Corrine finding her son, she felt at peace for the first time in 39 years.

Glad the other person found his brother, he looked so like his mum. Sad she had passed away.

I thought Corinne looked very different afterwards. Younger and more relaxed.
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump......

No comments, as yet, on last Wednesday's episode. Or have I missed another thread ?

I was under the impression that it was a really popular programme - although, IMO, very 'fairy- tale.'

They never show when this process goes wrong and, sadly, in 'real life' - it does frequently.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump......

No comments, as yet, on last Wednesday's episode. Or have I missed another thread ?

I was under the impression that it was a really popular programme - although, IMO, very 'fairy- tale.'

They never show when this process goes wrong and, sadly, in 'real life' - it does frequently.

I think there have been episodes in the past where the captions at the end have said that people have not got on well and broken off contact.

They obviously need permission from all parties involved sp if the "process goes wrong" then quite likely they will not get permission.

• Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Bump......

I think there have been episodes in the past where the captions at the end have said that people have not got on well and broken off contact.

They obviously need permission from all parties involved sp if the "process goes wrong" then quite likely they will not get permission.

'Tis true - but I can't remember a 'no further contact' on any of the end captions.

I meant that the presenters never mention that these searches might well end up in tears - thus perpetuating their usual fairytale endings.
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump......

They obviously need permission from all parties involved sp if the "process goes wrong" then quite likely they will not get permission.,

'Tis true - but I can't remember a 'no further contact' on any of the end captions.

I meant that the presenters never mention that these searches might well end up in tears - thus perpetuating their usual fairytale endings.

There was one episode in one of the early series where a woman was looking for her biological father. He came across as a bit odd, and a bit sleazy to be honest. At the end of the episode, the captions implied that they'd decided not to have any more contact, though they didn't use those exact words.

I missed last week's episode, will have to watch it on catch up.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    There have been a few episodes where they have gone back to cases which they did a year or two earlier, and in some of those cases there have been people not getting on or breaking off contact. But there haven't been any shown where they didn't like each other straight away.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The American version is running on one of the obscure channels. They seem to have quite a different adoption system. The programme seems to be able to search some adoption records and there is nothing like the British system of a researcher being allowed access in confidence. They have one advantage over the ITV programme, both the presenters had been adopted and traced their birth parent.

• Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the US series, it's on a channel called TLC. Only seen a couple of episodes, but it seems to be dealing with a slightly different demographic - parents in their 40s.

I don't get quite the same feeling of God's Waiting Room that I sometimes do from ITV. Maybe it's a pitch for a younger audience, or maybe it's just to do with different adoption protocols. Obviously they have five times the population to draw on.
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching tonight? Did Kelly's dad have any other children since or family? They seemed to gloss over a lot which they obviously didn't want to mention.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bel110 wrote: »
    Anyone watching tonight? Did Kelly's dad have any other children since or family? They seemed to gloss over a lot which they obviously didn't want to mention.

Didn't empathise with the girl and her Dad = seemed very staged. The bloke from Oz and his sister/half-siblings was OK. Not the best ep IMO....
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't buy the Dad's story that he didn't know about Kelly. His body language said otherwise imo.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The US episode on Quest Red at the mo is full of "trailer trash" with their piercings and tatts :o
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 23/08/17 - 21:39 #23
    It all felt a bit neat and tidy and Kelly was desperate to believe the best of him. He was probably totally under his mother's thumb and she forbade him to have anything to do with them. I just think it's weird they didn't give any details about his life since.

• stvitusdancestvitusdance Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bel110 wrote: »
    It all felt a bit neat and tidy and Kelly was desperate to believe the best of him. He was probably totally under his mother's thumb and she forbade him to have anything to do with them. I just think it's weird they didn't give any details about his life since.

I so agree
    He went to an EXCLUSIVE boarding school, they made a point of saying that. I guess his Mum didn't want her darling boy held back by a pregnant girlfriend after spending a fortune on his education. I am not sure that is forgivable.
    No details on his life now. They do usually say something like 'now married and living with his wife and with 3 adult children ..... But nothing on him at all
    I did get the slight impression he may now dance at the other end of the ballroom, although I could be entirely wrong.
  • LabLab Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The American version is running on one of the obscure channels. They seem to have quite a different adoption system. The programme seems to be able to search some adoption records and there is nothing like the British system of a researcher being allowed access in confidence. They have one advantage over the ITV programme, both the presenters had been adopted and traced their birth parent.

In the ITV programme, Nicky Campbell was adopted within days of birth ad later in life traced his birth mother and father.
    Davina McCall, while not adopted, was brought up by her paternal grandparents from the age of 3 until she was 13 when she went to live with her father. In Davina's opinion her mother was ill-suited to motherhood.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad to read that two brothers reunited. Then shortly afterwards one brother died suddenly.