The Casual Vacancy- BBC One Sunday 15th February 9pm

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I can't believe that the BBC has changed the ending of the TV adaptation of JK Rowlings 'A Casual Vacancy' deeming the conclusion of the Harry Potter writer's debut adult novel 'too grim' for Sunday night TV.

Scriptwriter Sarah Phelps said she had got in touch with Rowling to explain. “It’s still heartbreaking, but I had to find some kind of redemptive moment at the end of it all... what works in a novel doesn’t always work on screen. Nobody wants a finger wagged in their face, and I learnt on EastEnders that if you just go ‘grim, grim, grim’, viewers will simply disengage.” So her experience writing for a soap gives her an insight into what every viewer in the land wants to see ? How very patronising and insulting to viewers and to JK Rowling.

Comments

• patchcatpatchcat Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I have not read the book, but did find it strange that they chose to change the end... surely they knew the story and ending when they decided to make the TV series? Why take someone's story and change it?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    patchcat wrote: »
    I have not read the book, but did find it strange that they chose to change the end... surely they knew the story and ending when they decided to make the TV series? Why take someone's story and change it?

It does seem very weird. I'm surprised Rowling agreed to this. And Eastenders is hardly a laugh a minute. If you look up the word grim in the dictionary there is probably a reference to Eastenders in there.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it was Phelps' decision to me, it's not like the BBC forced it on her, and given that it's her adaptation of the novel, she should do what feels fits the series. She's an excellent writer so I trust that she's made the right decision. I don't find it patronising at all and I doubt Rowling was insulted by it.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's a shame, if the change is what I assume it will be. The ending of the novel was heartbreaking but it certainly sent a strong message about social responsibility. I don't mind them doing a redemptive moment but I'd rather it came after a tragedy, not in replacement of one.
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patchcat wrote: »

I haven't read it either, I tried to but just couldn't get into it. I'll probably read it after the TV series so I have a mental picture of who all the characters are, and also to compare the endings. I've been quite eager to watch this as I love keeley Hawes and Rory Kinnear! I've really enjoyed Sarah Phelps' Dickens adaptations over the years and she changed the ending of Great Expectations quite a bit so I've got high hopes for this.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read it, and found it ok, but not unputdownable if you know what I mean. Quite a convoluted story, with lots of little subplots woven in. I don't know why they choose to dramatise a book if they're going to change a sad ending so as not to upset viewers. JK Rowling can't have minded anyway, and it will be interesting to see what they did with Krystal's storyline.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Here's what Phelps has said about the new ending - "It’s still heartbreaking, but I had to find some kind of redemptive moment at the end of it all, that sense that after the tragedy, someone gets to stand with a slightly straighter back."

So she hasn't changed the tone of the ending completely, and I imagine when it comes to it we'll see people were making a fuss over nothing.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I've read it, and found it ok, but not unputdownable if you know what I mean. Quite a convoluted story, with lots of little subplots woven in. I don't know why they choose to dramatise a book if they're going to change a sad ending so as not to upset viewers. JK Rowling can't have minded anyway, and it will be interesting to see what they did with Krystal's storyline.

Having your work re-written is par for the course as far as screen writers or novelists are concerned.
    JK Rowling, probably isn't in much of a position to moan too much either, She might be well known, but she's got no track record in turning adult fiction into TV/Film gold.
    The BBC were probably the least worst option.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Bloody awful book, So I'll not bother watching.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I thought the book was good and look foreard to the adaptation. Not sure about the casting of Michael Gambon. They should have kept the ending and shown iton a different night if they're that bothered though.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it was Phelps' decision to me, it's not like the BBC forced it on her, and given that it's her adaptation of the novel, she should do what feels fits the series. She's an excellent writer so I trust that she's made the right decision. I don't find it patronising at all and I doubt Rowling was insulted by it.

Phelps unlike Rowling is a professional talented writer, all she has done is polish a stinking turd, added glitter to make it more appealing.

Rubbish boring book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    One thing appears certain: this book and tv adaptation is polarizing. :D:D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HotSeatSue wrote: »
    One thing appears certain: this book and tv adaptation is polarizing. :D:D

Sorry, but what do you mean by "polarizing"?
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conclusive proof that the BBC didn't want to adapt the book cos it's carp, but hang on a mo' it's JK Rowling therefore the entire world will want to watch it.. Yeah right.

JK is an excelent author when writing about wizards with the initials HP, but a socially responsive tale of whatever for adults.. Maybe not.

The mystery novel she did under a pseudonym, which escapes at the moment, is to be adapted too, which frankly I hope they also change the end... And the beginning ..... And the Middle bit as well cos there are many mysteries novels out there that are immeasurably superior, but because everyone actually knows it's JK, it is bound to be a super smash with the GBP. I am not holding my breath.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read the book, so when I watch this (and will because it has Keeley Hawes in it) I will just judge the begining, middle and end of this tale in same fashion as seeing any other tv show and film that has no pre-material before it. I don't particulalry understand how the ending in the book could be too grim for tv, haven't the producer and writer of this piece seen some of the stuff that is shown on tv nowadays before this.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keeley Hawes is always watchable.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    The mystery novel she did under a pseudonym, which escapes at the moment, is to be adapted too, which frankly I hope they also change the end... And the beginning ..... And the Middle bit as well cos there are many mysteries novels out there that are immeasurably superior, but because everyone actually knows it's JK, it is bound to be a super smash with the GBP. I am not holding my breath.

I'm not sure if you mean that the title or the pseudonym escapes you (possibly both) but for clarification purposes the novel is entitled The Cuckoo's Calling and the pseudonym is Robert Galbraith. And there is now a second in that series, entitled The Silkworm, and she intends to write more.

Personally, I really, really like JK Rowling as a writer. I was a massive Harry Potter buff, but I really enjoyed The Casual Vacancy and am really enjoying the new Cormoran Strike novels. I'm also really looking forward to seeing the TV adaptations of both of them. I can't see exactly why people complain so much about Rowling's work since Harry Potter. I feel like with Harry Potter, she set herself an unbeatable standard, and whatever she wrote after that was bound to attract criticism. Her revelation as the author of The Cuckoo's Calling certainly got more people buying it, but before people knew it was her the reviews were really positive - far more positive than they were for The Casual Vacancy, which she was open about having written from the beginning.

Personally, I try to go into each book not expecting anything, not comparing it with anything previously that that author has done, just trying to engage with the characters and plotlines. And I can safely say that Rowling has done that to me with every single one of her books, Harry Potter-themed or otherwise.

Going back onto the subject, I'm really looking forward to seeing this TV series. The cast excites me a lot. I do wonder how they'll manage to fit such a massive novel into only three episodes, but I'm going in with an open mind, and will try not to complain every time a minor change is made.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Keeley Hawes is always watchable.

Which reminds me, anyone tape Tipping The Velvet off Drama?
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you mean that the title or the pseudonym escapes you (possibly both) but for clarification purposes the novel is entitled The Cuckoo's Calling and the pseudonym is Robert Galbraith. And there is now a second in that series, entitled The Silkworm, and she intends to write more.

Personally, I really, really like JK Rowling as a writer. I was a massive Harry Potter buff, but I really enjoyed The Casual Vacancy and am really enjoying the new Cormoran Strike novels. I'm also really looking forward to seeing the TV adaptations of both of them. I can't see exactly why people complain so much about Rowling's work since Harry Potter. I feel like with Harry Potter, she set herself an unbeatable standard, and whatever she wrote after that was bound to attract criticism. Her revelation as the author of The Cuckoo's Calling certainly got more people buying it, but before people knew it was her the reviews were really positive - far more positive than they were for The Casual Vacancy, which she was open about having written from the beginning.

Personally, I try to go into each book not expecting anything, not comparing it with anything previously that that author has done, just trying to engage with the characters and plotlines. And I can safely say that Rowling has done that to me with every single one of her books, Harry Potter-themed or otherwise.

Going back onto the subject, I'm really looking forward to seeing this TV series. The cast excites me a lot. I do wonder how they'll manage to fit such a massive novel into only three episodes, but I'm going in with an open mind, and will try not to complain every time a minor change is made.

I read the Cuckoos Calling with keen anticipation, the thought of a genre I was keen on in the hands of such an acclaimed author (nom de plume or not), quite enthused me.

Boy did I learn my mistake fast, clumsy plot, cliched characters verging on characateurs, mystery novel by numbers, would be the most polite description. BUT it's out its JK, so the Beeb is just wetting itself to make it into a telly series. Whoop de whoop
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Keeley Hawes is almost un-watchable.

Fixed !!:D
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the Casual Vacancy is the weakest book JK has ever written, I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and the crime fiction more but itwill be interesting to see how it comes across as a TV series.

I didn't imagine Gambon as Mollison, he seems a strange casting choice although he is an excellent actor.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shame this clashes with Indian Summers on Ch 4. Surprised they were plugging this on some BBC shows so much this week.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    While it's disappointing they changed the ending, I can see why they have. After all, it's pretty depressing and does leave you feeling a bit deflated.

I'll watch it tonight, but I know I'll probably get annoyed by the differences between the book and TV show. I recently re-read it for a second time as I wanted a refresher before the TV show started. However, I'm now wondering if that was a good idea, as I'm probably too familiar with it now!
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    IMO the Casual Vacancy is the weakest book JK has ever written, I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and the crime fiction more but itwill be interesting to see how it comes across as a TV series.

I didn't imagine Gambon as Mollison, he seems a strange casting choice although he is an excellent actor.

I'm sure that the wonderful Richard Griffiths would have been offered the part had he not sadly passed away. I can really imagine him in the role.

I hope that the change of ending involves the place where it ends and not major plot points. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read it, but there are certain bits that would be brutal if changed.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that the wonderful Richard Griffiths would have been offered the part had he not sadly passed away. I can really imagine him in the role.

You're spot on. He would have played Howard Mollison exactly as I picture him.

I'm sure Michael Gambon will do a good job, but I agree with others that it does seem a strange casting choice.