Long-distance commuting on a regular basis for work

2»

Comments

• Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    :o How can it be that cheap? I thought the lowest was something like £29.

You have to book them well in advance to get the low rates, something like at least 21 days in advance.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to book them well in advance to get the low rates, something like at least 21 days in advance.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that explanation. Much appreciated.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member

Even then you'd do well to get them in London.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    :o How can it be that cheap? I thought the lowest was something like £29.

They used to £9 rooms, but think the minimum is £12 now.

I once had a weekend at a Travelodge in Bath where the parking cost more than the hotel.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An 8 hour daily commute is insane.
    I take it you'd be working about 8 hours too so then you'd only have 8 hours left to sleep and do anything else.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    8 hour commute, no way!

Better to stay over somewhere cheap for 3 nights, even in a house share or something
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This long coach journey could easily be affected by traffic problems. Turning up late too many times could result in the ol' 'ammer n tack.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Rent a room for 3 nights a week. One of my colleagues is going to rent out her spare rooms but doesn't want full time lodgers so is going to rent it out to people who only want it Monday-Friday.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember how he found it, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was through 'wanted' postcards he put up in various newsagents around his targeted residential area, because he did the same thing for a second-hand bike. This was around six years ago.

A card in a newsagents window? How quaint. These days are are loads of spareroom websites. It suits some people to only have a lodger for 2 or 3 days a week as it gets them some income while still having the place to themselves for most of the week.

try www.spareroom.com, www.flatshare.com, www.housepals.co.uk/ and several others.
  • Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For 6 weeks I did a commute of 4 hours per day by train. The trains were inevitably late and absolutely packed. It wasn't a pleasant experience at all and when I was 3 weeks into it, I was counting the days until the 6 weeks was up.

It was so unbelievably tiring, I was just sleeping at home and having no spare time.

There is no way I'd consider an 8 hour commute, especially by coach :o

The renting of a room, in a private house is a really good idea. Alternatively if this is a permanent position you could try and strike up a deal with a B&B just out of London and then commute in.
  • brentfordpetebrentfordpete Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I now have to do a 3 -4 hour drive each day and it just gets me down to be honest.

As others have said , try staying over 3 nights a week.
    There are a lot of webwites now for people who commute to london like this.
    I am thinking of renting spare room out on a similar basis.

Look at:
    www.mondaytofriday.com
    www.fivenights.com
    www.spareroom.co.uk/monday-to-friday
  • rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just jumping into this thread as I too will have to begin commuting soon for up to 3 days a week. Do any websites offer places to stay just for 3 days as opposed to 5?
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try the night bus from Mega bus. They have beds on the bus and Cardiff to London is about four pounds.