Mot

malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anybody confirm that if I have a vehicle which is stored off the road, insured and taxed, it's fine if the MOT runs out - only when I wish to run it / tax it will it need done, and there will be no penalties for waiting?

Comments

• Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm that if I have a vehicle which is stored off the road, insured and taxed, it's fine if the MOT runs out - only when I wish to run it / tax it will it need done, and there will be no penalties for waiting?

If its off the road it should be SORNED.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you SORN the vehicle, the DVLA may have a marker put on your car that it's on the road without an MOT. Even though you won't have it on the road, you're better to SORN it. (You'll get a refund on unused tax)
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its off the road it should be SORNED.

Off the road as in, it's locked in a garage, it's not sat on a public highway.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Off the road as in, it's locked in a garage, it's not sat on a public highway.

The point is that that it would still be available for use.

If you don't intend to use it and it has no current MOT, you should submit a SORN declaration.

This makes sense from your point of view anyway because, as grumpyscot has already pointed out, you will receive a partial refund of road fund licence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god almighty :D why is it so hard to actually get an answer to the question you ask on here!! :p It does happen to be sorned, now is anyone able to respond to the original question pls :)
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no requirement for an off-road vehicle to have a valid MOT, and therefore nothing to worry about if it lapses.

It only becomes an issue if the vehicle is used or stored on a public road.

If the vehicle will be off-road for some time then declaring SORN may be a better course of action as suggested above, but it is not mandatory in your situation. It would only be mandatory if you wanted to stop taxing / insuring the vehicle while it is off-road.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    god almighty :D why is it so hard to actually get an answer to the question you ask on here!! :pIt does happen to be sorned, now is anyone able to respond to the original question pls :)

That's not what you said in your OP - we can only go by what YOU tell us...

"Can anybody confirm that if I have a vehicle which is stored off the road, insured and taxed, it's fine if the MOT runs out - only when I wish to run it / tax it will it need done, and there will be no penalties for waiting? "

This is an important difference!! YOU said it's taxed, so the replies tell you to SORN it.

God almighty - some OPs, eh...... (God has a big "G", btw)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    That's not what you said in your OP - we can only go by what YOU tell us...

That conflicting info doesn't change the answer to the OP's original question though. Irrespective of tax / SORN status an MOT is not required if a vehicle is not being used or stored on a public road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you RouSh :D
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    That conflicting info doesn't change the answer to the OP's original question though. Irrespective of tax / SORN status an MOT is not required if a vehicle is not being used or stored on a public road.

Correct.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    This makes sense from your point of view anyway because, as grumpyscot has already pointed out, you will receive a partial refund of road fund licence.
    If the vehicle in question qualifies for zero-rate road fund licence (is classed as a classic, or is electric for example) that point is null.

Indeed the clerical work involved in SORNing and Taxing a zero-rate vehicle is something for which DVLA receive no income.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    If the vehicle in question qualifies for zero-rate road fund licence (is classed as a classic, or is electric for example) that point is null.

Indeed the clerical work involved in SORNing and Taxing a zero-rate vehicle is something for which DVLA receive no income.
    Likely scenario here? I think not.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    god almighty :D why is it so hard to actually get an answer to the question you ask on here!! :p It does happen to be sorned, now is anyone able to respond to the original question pls :)

What an obnoxious, ungrateful person you are. You ask for advice without giving full facts and then get offended.

In future, don't bother asking on DS - go elsewhere.

Bear in mind that responses are not just for YOUR benefit but also for the benefit of other DS users.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Likely scenario here? I think not.

I think not too.

This is what I referred to on another current thread as "the famous Digital Spy "what if" flight of fancy".
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

MOT question seems to have been answered but if you've already declared a SORN, why are you paying for insurance/tax?
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And when you want to bring it back on the road - you can drive it to the local MOT station.

I did anyway.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it does matter surely? If the car is TAXED normally then the DVLA will think that the can is in use on the roads. If the car is SORNED then they know it is not being used on the road so it should not require an MOT. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Guapo wrote: »
    But it does matter surely? If the car is TAXED normally then the DVLA will think that the can is in use on the roads. If the car is SORNED then they know it is not being used on the road so it should not require an MOT. :)

It is only an offence to actually use (or permit the use of) a vehicle on a road without a valid MOT test in force, except in the exceptional circumstances specifically mentioned. (Storing a vehicle on a road counts as using it on a road).

There is no legal requirement to continually maintain a valid MOT on a taxed vehicle.

You cannot commit an offence simply by allowing a vehicle's MOT to expire. The vehicle has to actually be used on a road without an MOT for an offence to have been committed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    MOT question seems to have been answered but if you've already declared a SORN, why are you paying for insurance/tax?

A sorn means you are not paying tax; insurance means that if the vehicle is stolen it is covered. Or if there was a fire. Or some high cost damage. Etc.