Anyone finding Corries David Platt increasingly boring?

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
...And Jack P Shepherds acting rather tediously hit and miss?

I dont know if its because the character may have been overexposed over the years but Im increasingly finding myself disinvesting in the character.

Comments

• Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES! Absolutely. I find him tedious these days. I think he'd work better as a character away from that house. Plus, he needs a friend or two outside of his family.
  • wwinterjwwinterj Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past I liked David but now with this storyline he's dull. He needs to show more backbone. He was the son from hell and now just dull.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree, OP. David's Father of the Year routine has become dull to watch. I also agree that the actor appears to be just going through the motions lately.
  • Little LeighLittle Leigh Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think even at his weakest / dullest David is still one of the stronger characters on the street. Rather than 'going through the motions' I think JPS is doing a pretty good job of carrying a weak storyline that has pretty much been foisted on him by the scriptwriters thanks to Paula Lane's maternity leave and their keeness to keep Callum involved because they have decided he is a nice bit of eye candy and want to extend his role. It would be nice to see David unleashing his inner demon but I suppose it is equally realistic that he would be off his A Game having to deal with his missing drug-addict wife, baby daughter and ADHD step son.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Definitely agree, OP. David's Father of the Year routine has become dull to watch. I also agree that the actor appears to be just going through the motions lately.

Im pleased to see that Im far from alone in my feeling over this!

Personally I think the combination of the actor being young and the character probably being seen by the shows bosses as an unaxeable legacy character are contributing towards Jack P Shepherd being complacent and phoning in his performances.
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry, but I have to disagree with most of the comments. IMO Jack's been splendid in recent episodes. He still has some brilliant one liners mainly aimed at Gail, but it is good to see a different side to David, trying to keep it together for his family, he is so scared of loosing. This storyline is one of the better ones at present.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I like the actor, but I don't think David's storylines have been any good recently (which is a problem with much of Corrie).
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    This whole storyline is a dry, horrid mess. It does no favours for anyone.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jack P Shepherd (and Paula Lane) are doing their best to try and save this dire storyline.

It's quite nice to watch a grown up David too.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Plattanation Street is consistently boring. Who cares about the ridiculous wooden "drug dealer" who is about as scary as a plate of custard. What happened to scheming Demon David? Of course this utter nonsense will drag on until Kylie's return and tells Callum to do one, when he will conveniently disappear. Yawn
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Love David personally. Obviously the recent Kylie rubbish is terrible but I enjoy the character despite the silly storyline.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Must admit I did find myself thinking "bring back evil David, he'd sort Callum out" last night
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a brilliant actor but I have to admit I am finding the whole storyline really boring and he is starting to annoy me. I agree with others we need to see "Evil David" again I don't like his current character.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He used to be a nutcase, I have to say I don't enjoy watching him like I used to him.
  • emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Must admit I did find myself thinking "bring back evil David, he'd sort Callum out" last night

I've been thinking the same! Why would David just let Callum walk all over him? He wouldn't he'd come with some evil plan to get rid of him. The Platts r one of my favourite families but their storylines recently have been dire
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Callum the rubbish gangster needs to go. Amy is more scary.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not loving this the whole kylie gone missing and callum camp baddie storyline. It's tedious and pathetic. Plus i think his acting has suffered, which is a shame as I always had him down as one of the few decent male actors on the show.
  • sammyvansammyvan Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible story - surely they could have come up with something a little stronger to explain Kylie's absence? I don't think the tedium we are having to watch is down to David - he seems to be trying to inject some reality into the scenes. He can't do anything about the dull story though, and I guess we just have to hope it does not last until Kylie's return. Bring back Demon Dave - he would soon sort out this excuse for a 'baddie'!
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never forget....he chucked Kylie out!! The Platt household should all be having mental breakdowns with all that's happening to them It's all too much for a soul to bear and so it continues with a death brought to their door.It'[s a never ending ribbon of tragedy and sorrow would in an d round their whole lives. Only Gail still flutters and tucks her little chin into her chest like a bird.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    He used to be a nutcase, I have to say I don't enjoy watching him like I used to him.

Hes a character I just cant root for because of his awful vindicative semi psycho past.

The plots to destroy Gail years were shocking behaviour and for me signposted him as mainly a rotter or someone written in the baddie mould but with tiny hints of empathy and understanding for how he felt.His hatred of her was psychotic and while Im not advocating an endless stream of hateful David in revenge plot storylines ,I just think their changing tack with him too much in an inconsistent manner.

I cant take the character seriously because I dont think the writers in their approach take him seriously.
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    GracieL wrote: »
    I think Jack P Shepherd (and Paula Lane) are doing their best to try and save this dire storyline.

It's quite nice to watch a grown up David too.
    I think that David (Jack P Shepherd) is handling this storyline really well.
    It must be breaking his heart that Max is behaving badly towards him and wants Callum to be his Dad. We all know that Callum is just using the situation to get at David (what's the betting that if he does get some sort of custody of Max that he wont be in Max's life for very long and then the little lad will be heartbroken?)
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    It needs to stop this David and Callum nonsense. Do an Eastenders and have psycho David give Callum a beating and make it graphic. Screw what the old people think, venture out of the comfort zone.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I like David Platt, I don't think at the moment though he's got a good storyline.
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bored of the story. Don't care if Callum takes away the little shit Max and never returns, good riddance. Maybe then David will remember his daughter Lily.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I too dislike this SL as it is dragging on for far too long and it seems to be the same scenes over and over.....how much longer will it go on for!

I love David Platt though as for me he is an interesting Corrie character, he and Callum bounce off each other quite well so I would prefer it if they were friends causing a bit of mayhem together and injecting some humour into the place.