Options

The Guest

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
It looks really good and it's out today.

Has anyone read any reviews?

Comments

• Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging from the trailer (which I've only just seen) it looks so so. I haven't read any of the reviews in depth but at the moment it has an impressive 95% fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks very creepy cant wait to watch
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from this and really enjoyed it. I didn't know it was from the director/writer of You're Next (which I thought was excellent), and this was just as enjoyable.

The look and feel was very reminiscent of Drive, with Ryan Gosling, who Dan Stevens is a dead ringer for. With the 80s synth soundtrack, the comparison is even greater. It's an odd film, because you know the lead character has a secret / past, and as he goes about "helping" the family he takes up with, you root for him but the same time, know that he's probably up to no good.

I've never seen Stevens in anything before, but he was great in this; all moody and brooding, with real menace in the eyes. But equally, a charmer with the ladeez. There are some fairly brutal scenes, an exciting all action third act (though perhaps going a tad off the rails), but it was pretty riveting throughout and didn't outstay its welcome. Looking back, there are some plot inconsistencies with stuff not really adding up. But not a major failing. The two teen leads were good too, particularly Luke who was the source of most laughs.

Anyway, very good and the audience I saw it with murmured their appreciation on the way out. 8/10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this today and really liked it. I thought Dan was brilliant in it and he made the character so likeable and intriguing. He was very charismatic.

For anyone who has seen the movie:
    he was part of some medical experiment and the way he was is due to that? What?! It wasn't explained why he picked that particular family, was it?
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I saw this today and really liked it. I thought Dan was brilliant in it and he made the character so likeable and intriguing. He was very charismatic.

he was part of some medical experiment and the way he was is due to that? What?! It wasn't explained why he picked that particular family, was it?

Hi Sez! :)
    I could be wrong, but the military police officer knew of Caleb, but I thought that meant he was put in the same secret programme as 'David' (and consequently died)

Dan Stevens was great in this - couldn't be more different than in his Downton role, and with a solid American accent. He played sinister really well. Pretty entertaining but rather short film as they all seem to be these days!
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went into this expecting it to be a serious horror story and only realized half way through that it was a dark comedy. It was extremely entertaining though and the lead actor was great. A lot of really good moments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    Hi Sez! :)
    I could be wrong, but the military police officer knew of Caleb, but I thought that meant he was put in the same secret programme as 'David' (and consequently died)

Dan Stevens was great in this - couldn't be more different than in his Downton role, and with a solid American accent. He played sinister really well. Pretty entertaining but rather short film as they all seem to be these days!

Hi Jayma :D

Ah right. Thanks :)

Dan was really good and I agree about his accent - very good.
    I went into this expecting it to be a serious horror story and only realized half way through that it was a dark comedy. It was extremely entertaining though and the lead actor was great. A lot of really good moments.

I agree. Having seen 'You're Next' (same director I believe) I thought it would be a horror too but I agree that it is a dark comedy. The cinema was laughing at a lot of moments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a little worried that this would be one of those films that looked great but fell short of the mark.

Having read reviews I'm "holy crap" excited to go see it on wednesday :D
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just come back from seeing this. It was unexpected to say the least. Dan Stevens was excellent as David. The way his face changed as he was talking to Luke after he had been in the headmaster's study was mind-blowing - so scary!
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »

I really enjoyed it but that was its biggest downfall for me

It would have worked better if
    the guest had been a ghost or even just left open to interpretation like in High Plains Drifter, the medical experiment was utter bullshit
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This!!
    I also thought it was going to be a real spooky, psychological horror so it took me most of the film to "adjust" to the genre it actually was.
    I thought Maika Monroe was a revelation...what a promising starlet she is!
    Though I would have liked her and David's relationship to have been developed more. Saying that, I loved their "music" connection and the fact the soundtrack was so evocative really filled in the gaps.
    Who can forget that climatic scene where the school is burning as that gorgeous song ("Antonio" by Annie) plays out.....hauntingly beautiful!
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    This!!
    I also thought it was going to be a real spooky, psychological horror so it took me most of the film to "adjust" to the genre it actually was.
    I thought Maika Monroe was a revelation...what a promising starlet she is!
    Though I would have liked her and David's relationship to have been developed more. Saying that, I loved their "music" connection and the fact the soundtrack was so evocative really filled in the gaps.
    Who can forget that climatic scene where the school is burning as that gorgeous song ("Antonio" by Annie) plays out.....hauntingly beautiful!

As that scene was playing out I couldn't help but think that the school had pretty lax fire safety standards - you had to go through a hall of mirrors to get to the fire exit ;-)