Any chance of 1080p25 on BBC HD on Freesat

MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since this has been testing on Freeview HD, I was just wondering if this is viable on Freesat - considering there are 2 BBC HD streams (one of which could be used for Sky and the other for Freesat if that becomes an issue). I was wondering if Freesat boxes support it...

Comments

• lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have broadcast movies and other programmes in1080p25 for some time.
    Not completely sure about freesat boxes but it shouldn't be a problem, it is also down to the TV but most modern ones should be able to deal with it ok.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    It could be that it is already being broadcast - just that the boxes don't flag it.

I was going to try to determine if it was by examining the pictures when I knew HD on Freeview was 1080p25 (NB I have a Freesat/Freeview HD TV) - but I decided that it was getting a bit too much! My understanding is that -p25 modes are a standard part of the DVB specs (like static video) - reslfj?

DVB-T2 HD uses MBAFF to give 1080p25 as appropriate - and receivers will flag this in different ways depending on design.

PS I think you can easily see the difference in the lack of motion blur.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loz wrote: »
    Not completely sure about freesat boxes but it shouldn't be a problem, it is also down to the TV but most modern ones should be able to deal with it ok.

No they have not, all broadcast HD TV in the UK is 1080i two fields of 1/50 sec making one full frame every 1/25 sec. If the footage is derived from a single static frame like a frame of film because there is no movement between the two fields it's effectively a progressive picture, it's still transmitted as two interlaced fields. The only truly progressive broadcast source is 720p 1280 x 720 at 50fps but apart from VOD services no-one uses 720p.
  • zubzub Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Any chance of better picture quality from BBC HD.... No
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS I think you can easily see the difference in the lack of motion blur.
    In practice there shouldn't be any difference between 1080i and 1080p for 25 fps (converted from 24fps) progressive film content unless your deinterlacer is really rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    In practice there shouldn't be any difference between 1080i and 1080p for 25 fps (converted from 24fps) progressive film content unless your deinterlacer is really rubbish.
    The video originated cartoons on BBC HD seem to be in 1080p25 according to the flagging by the receiver... the set will distinguish 1080i25 and 720p25 originating from the BT Vbox - it usually shows 1080i / 50Hz when receiving Freeview and Freesat HD - but sometimes it just shows 'WIDE' on Freeview HD (which is what it does for 576i50 both Freeview SD and Freesat SD). I have not caught it showing anything else on Freesat HD when Freeview HD is showing 'WIDE'.

Of course (virtually) any deinterlacer will effectively give 1080p25 from a 24/25fps original broadcast as 1080i25 - in fact zero processing will give it (like 24/25fps films shown on analogue)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they have not, all broadcast HD TV in the UK is 1080i two fields of 1/50 sec making one full frame every 1/25 sec.

Which is all that the BBC are doing.

Take a 1080p25 source and put it inside a 1080i50 stream, which the TV recognises and treats as such.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/6009712-post2.html regarding Sky
    The encoder is intelligent enough to detect progressive content and send it out as such. So although technically the stream is 1080i/50, for movies or some TV shows it's just flagged, and you can get 1080p/25 easily.

Here's a log from a movie;
    File Size Processed: 20.57 GB, Play Time: 02h:42m:23s
    25.00 FPS (Average), 17.22 Mbps (Average).
    AC3 Audio: 3/2 Channels (L, C, R, SL, SR) + LFE, 48.0 kHz, 384 kbps.

And a log from a fully interlaced sporting event;
    File Size Processed: 10.02 GB, Play Time: 01h:08m:23s
    43.84 FPS (Average), 20.00 Mbps (Average).
    AC3 Audio: 2/0 Channels (L, R), 48.0 kHz, 384 kbps.

and an explanation on wikipedia
    For material that originated from a progressive scanned 24 frame/s source (such as film), MPEG-2 allows the video to be coded as 1080p24, irrespective of the final output format; these progressively-coded frames are tagged with metadata (literally, fields of the PICTURE header) instructing a decoder how to perform a 3:2 pulldown to interlace them. While the formal output of the MPEG-2 decoding process from such stations is 1080i60, the actual content is coded as 1080p24 and can be viewed as such, using a process known as inverse telecine, since no information is lost even when the broadcaster (as opposed to the receiver) performs the 3:2 pulldown.[11]

Obviously for UK read 25/50 instead of 24/60

Sky don't transmit 1080p50, but 1080p25 in a 1080i50 stream, exactly as the BBC is now doing on Freeview HD.

How else do you think the BBC are now transmitting 1080p25 using existing equipment and receivers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is all that the BBC are doing

How else do you think the BBC are now transmitting 1080p25 using existing equipment and receivers?

Actually the BBC might be doing it differently as I understand Freeview HD boxes do have a 1080p output which sky boxes do not.

But the above is what sky do.
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed - otherwise there wouldn't be all this fuss about it on the Freeview forum. Though I don't have Freeview HD yet in my area, I don't believe people would be discussing it if it didn't actually exist ;)
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they have not, all broadcast HD TV in the UK is 1080i two fields of 1/50 sec making one full frame every 1/25 sec. If the footage is derived from a single static frame like a frame of film because there is no movement between the two fields it's effectively a progressive picture, it's still transmitted as two interlaced fields. The only truly progressive broadcast source is 720p 1280 x 720 at 50fps but apart from VOD services no-one uses 720p.

you have just made an assumption based on your lack of understanding of mpeg4 H.264 encoding.

What you are missing is that Mpeg4 H.264 in the modes used by sky and the BBC Avoid encoding interlaced ether by frame or by macro-block depending on the mode used. Encoding interlaced video is inefficient and requires a higher bitrate to achieve an expectable picture quality. Thus the these mode where added to encode progressively whenever it is possible as a bandwidth saving measure.

The result is that all film based or 25p sources are encoded and broadcast as 1080p25 , it's flagged as an interlaced stream and it is your STB that re interlaces this before sending it to your TV.

as someone else mentioned with logs, Interlaced material can end up being encoded with odd average frame rates between 25-50fps as the encoder finds frames that do not require interlacing and encodes them as such
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would rather have 1080 50P but unfortunately I don't think most cheaper tv's support 50fps.

25P gives slightly better picture than current offering but 50i handles motion better so horses for courses.

My understanding is 50P offers the best of both worlds but needs far more bandwidth (I think it may even be double) and compatible tv's.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would rather have 1080 50P but unfortunately I don't think most cheaper tv's support 50fps.
    This is a misconception, all flatscreen non CRTs can show 50fps, indeed anything sourced as true interlaced 50 fields per second will be shown as 50 frames per second otherwise sports would look incredibly jerky.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Freeview is broadcasting genuine 1080p---or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    This is a misconception, all flatscreen non CRTs can show 50fps, indeed anything sourced as true interlaced 50 fields per second will be shown as 50 frames per second otherwise sports would look incredibly jerky.

Not interlaced 50 progressive.

I understand most tv's can't show 50P because they lack the necessary processing power to handle 50 Progressive frames per second.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they have not, all broadcast HD TV in the UK is 1080i two fields of 1/50 sec making one full frame every 1/25 sec. If the footage is derived from a single static frame like a frame of film because there is no movement between the two fields it's effectively a progressive picture, it's still transmitted as two interlaced fields.
    There is an "always encode as two separate fields" mode in MPEG encoders, and it's never used. Really. It's crap. Even for a genuine interlaced signal, it's desperately inefficient as soon as part of the picture stops moving.

The problem with wrapping 1080p25 in a 1080i50 stream is that the chroma sub-sampling is lower resolution (based on fields, rather than frames), some encoders don't always adapt properly (e.g. using quantisation matrices which are less than ideal, or picking field encoding due to combing-like content in the video, or just being stupid), and the true nature of the video might not always be correctly detected in the end.

Other than those issues, there is no inherent problem with encoding full "progressive" frames in 1080i50 mode - this feature exists because that's just a (momentary) still picture, and there are plenty of those in genuine interlaced content too.

Cheers,
    David.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand most tv's can't show 50P because they lack the necessary processing power to handle 50 Progressive frames per second.
    It's 1920x1080p50 that's only recently becomming common.

1280x720p50 has been there all the time, as has 720x576p50 - that's even handled by some old 100Hz CRTs.

It's not the frame rate that's the problem - it's the total data rate, and having an input that supports it.

Cheers,
    David.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are the concise details of the Freeview HD change:
    The Freeview HD platform has always been specified to provide a 1080p25 capability. This is why STBs are mandated to have a 1080p50 output to enable seamless up-conversion to a mode which is guaranteed to be present in all display devices. A great deal of material is shot natively at 1080p25 and there are significant advantages in maintaining 1080p25 through to the viewer's display. Within a single programme interlaced may be used for moving credits, cross-fades and studio shots whereas progressive may be used for location shot material.

Up until now this capability has not been exploited and 1080p25 material was encoded using a 1080i25 encoding mode. But after a software upgrade on the 22nd/23rd March the HD encoder supporting BBC HD on Freeview HD has been set-up to automatically detect progressive material and change encoding mode appropriately. The encoded bitstream can only change at each GOP boundary to ensure decoders maintain a consistent display. This means that each coded video sequence either contains interlaced or progressive pic_struct values within the bitstream. The transitions between interlaced and progressive modes are entirely dependent upon how a programme has been made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there is quite a lot of misinformation on this thread, I wonder if anyone can confirm or deny this (No offence, Loz - would just like another opinion)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    As there is quite a lot of misinformation on this thread, I wonder if anyone can confirm or deny this (No offence, Loz - would just like another opinion)

None taken. :)

2Bdecided would be a good person to comment as he knows what he is talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »

It's not the frame rate that's the problem - it's the total data rate, and having an input that supports it.

Cheers,
    David.

Agreed. You have twice as much as data to process with 50P vs 50i and thats what many tv's can't handle.

50P and even 100i is the Holy Grail of TV but like many technologies there's just no push towards widespread adoption because broadcasters just see increased bandwdith costs and tv manufacturers see little demand in the absence of 50P broadcasts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Freeview HD platform has always been specified to provide a 1080p25 capability. This is why STBs are mandated to have a 1080p50 output to enable seamless up-conversion to a mode which is guaranteed to be present in all display devices. A great deal of material is shot natively at 1080p25 and there are significant advantages in maintaining 1080p25 through to the viewer's display. Within a single programme interlaced may be used for moving credits, cross-fades and studio shots whereas progressive may be used for location shot material.

Up until now this capability has not been exploited and 1080p25 material was encoded using a 1080i25 encoding mode. But after a software upgrade on the 22nd/23rd March the HD encoder supporting BBC HD on Freeview HD has been set-up to automatically detect progressive material and change encoding mode appropriately. The encoded bitstream can only change at each GOP boundary to ensure decoders maintain a consistent display. This means that each coded video sequence either contains interlaced or progressive pic_struct values within the bitstream. The transitions between interlaced and progressive modes are entirely dependent upon how a programme has been made.

Now thats very interesting. But how does this affect Freesat?
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzer wrote: »
    considering there are 2 BBC HD streams (one of which could be used for Sky and the other for Freesat if that becomes an issue)
    Just spotted this; there is just one BBC-HD stream, but it has two sets of IDs
  • Wayne MouleWayne Moule Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzer wrote: »
    Since this has been testing on Freeview HD, I was just wondering if this is viable on Freesat - considering there are 2 BBC HD streams (one of which could be used for Sky and the other for Freesat if that becomes an issue). I was wondering if Freesat boxes support it...

It doesn't sound like it.

As stated in the BBC Blog about this, a Freeview HD spec box output is mandated to output 1080P, Freesat isn't.

Are we going to be able to see the difference, time will tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't sound like it.

As stated in the BBC Blog about this, a Freeview HD spec box output is mandated to output 1080P, Freesat isn't.

Are we going to be able to see the difference, time will tell.

But that doesn't mean that the BBC might encode Freesat transmissions as 1080p25 as described above as Sky does, and leave the TV to handle it, rather than handling it in the Freeview HD box.

What people see on the screen should just be the same - differences in the quality of the decoding aside...
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    Just spotted this; there is just one BBC-HD stream, but it has two sets of IDs
    Only one stream just two SID's for same data

http://www.linowsat.de/cgi-bin/lsat.cgi?0282-10847-V-2050-0-0

So how does that help ?