2012 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Invasion of the Dinosaurs: actors Richard Franklin, Peter Miles and Terence Wilton, director Paddy Russell, script editor Terrance Dicks, designer Richard Morris. Commentary on first 10 minutes of episode 5 by actor John Levene.

Android Invasion: actors Milton John and Martin Friend, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, production assistant Marion McDougal.

Thanks a lot for that JCR.
    Quite an interesting group on "...Dinosaurs". That should be really good.
    A shame Tom isn't on "Android Invasion".
    Maybe Milton can explain why Crayford never thought of checking underneath THAT eyepatch to see if his eye was actually in fine working order!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Levene commentaries are always "interesting" ... ;)
    Forum Member
    John Levene commentaries are always "interesting" ... ;)

Aww, bless him. I liked him doing his solo commentary on an episode of "The Time Monster". It was different! :)
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the info text on Invasion Of The Dinosaurs reveals the actress originally cast as Sarah Jane Smith was April Walker. After 40 years of not being revealed that's a very odd, low key way for it to slip out.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh. Thanks, Gslam!
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Apparently the info text on Invasion Of The Dinosaurs reveals the actress originally cast as Sarah Jane Smith was April Walker. After 40 years of not being revealed that's a very odd, low key way for it to slip out.

haven't heard of her, but looking her up seen she was in an episode of Fawlty Towers but thats all ive seen her in.
    Forum Member

That is indeed strange! Did you buy it today? What's your verdict? You might not have watched it all yet. Wondered what the picture quality of episode 1 of IOTD was like. :)
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only know because Gareth Roberts tweeted it earlier. Haven't watched it yet.
    Forum Member
    I only know because Gareth Roberts tweeted it earlier. Haven't watched it yet.

Ok dokey.
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is indeed strange! Did you buy it today? What's your verdict? You might not have watched it all yet. Wondered what the picture quality of episode 1 of IOTD was like. :)

I've just watched up to episode 4 and it's a great story. Really engaging and so what if the dinosaurs are crap?
    If you're a grown adult and can't cope with something so irrelevant like that then you've got problems.:rolleyes:

Episode one looks great in colour, looks all on film and a bit washed out but we're lucky to have it when just a couple of years ago it didn't look possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the colour episode 1, even though the colour wasn't great in parts it was certainly better than i was expecting.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne814 wrote: »
    Just watched the colour episode 1, even though the colour wasn't great in parts it was certainly better than i was expecting.

Just curious ... where does the colour version appear on the DVD menu? Is it on the main Episodes page like the Unearthly Child pilot, or is it tucked away on the special features list?
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Just curious ... where does the colour version appear on the DVD menu? Is it on the main Episodes page like the Unearthly Child pilot, or is it tucked away on the special features list?

Special features.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    Special features.

Bah. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes its in special features, but once you turn it on it will be automatic colour first episode whenever you watch it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Very interesting commentary tracks on the Invasion of the Dinosaurs episodes. Toby Hadoke does a great job moderating, and tries (with a bit of a struggle) to squeeze as much information out of Paddy Russell as he could. Peter Miles is great fun as usual and Terrence Dicks gets yet another chance to use his well worn phrase about Mac Hulke being his "friend and mentor in the business" ;)

I was having a think about what stories are still to be released on DVD, and there aren't many left. It will be interesting to see how the release schedule pans out for the rest of this year.
    Forum Member
    Shane54 wrote: »
    I've just watched up to episode 4 and it's a great story. Really engaging and so what if the dinosaurs are crap?
    If you're a grown adult and can't cope with something so irrelevant like that then you've got problems.:rolleyes:

Episode one looks great in colour, looks all on film and a bit washed out but we're lucky to have it when just a couple of years ago it didn't look possible.

That's great. Really looking forward to seeing "Invasion Of The Dinosaurs" on DVD. I can finally replace my dodgy UK Gold recording from years ago!! :) Would loved to have heard Barry Letts on commentary for this one. :cry:
    Forum Member

Also, I reckon the "tidied up" black & white version of episode 1 will look pretty good. I was astonished how polished the DVD release of "The War Games" looked! It was as if you were watching a late 70's story with the colour turned down! :)
    Forum Member
    littlepete wrote: »
    Very interesting commentary tracks on the Invasion of the Dinosaurs episodes. Toby Hadoke does a great job moderating, and tries (with a bit of a struggle) to squeeze as much information out of Paddy Russell as he could. Peter Miles is great fun as usual and Terrence Dicks gets yet another chance to use his well worn phrase about Mac Hulke being his "friend and mentor in the business" ;)

I was having a think about what stories are still to be released on DVD, and there aren't many left. It will be interesting to see how the release schedule pans out for the rest of this year.

I love the commentaries. Looking forward to buying this set! You always get a chuckle with Uncle Terrance's anecdotes!! :D

For the record, according to Amazon the next releases are:

January 23rd "The Sensorites"
    February 13th "Revisitations 3 ("Tomb Of The Cybermen", "The Three Doctors" and "Robots Of Death")
    March 5th "The Face Of Evil"
    March 26th "The Daemons"
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Face of Evil commentary is actors Louise Jameson, Leslie Schofield, David Garfield, Michael Elles and Harry H Fielder, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, film cameraman John McGlashan, plus Toby Hadoke

The Dæmons commentary: actors Katy Manning, Richard Franklin & Damaris Hayman, and director Christopher Barry.

Source DW magazine 443.
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    The Face of Evil commentary is actors Louise Jameson, Leslie Schofield, David Garfield, Michael Elles and Harry H Fielder, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, film cameraman John McGlashan, plus Toby Hadoke

The Dæmons commentary: actors Katy Manning, Richard Franklin & Damaris Hayman, and director Christopher Barry.

Source DW magazine 443.

Thanks JCR. Ah, Katy!! Swoon swoon :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes its in special features, but once you turn it on it will be automatic colour first episode whenever you watch it

Really? :eek: Wonder if that works with every DVD player... :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A reminder of April Walker's character in Fawlty Towers :)

http://i44.tinypic.com/ek0thd.jpg
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the commentaries. Looking forward to buying this set! You always get a chuckle with Uncle Terrance's anecdotes!! :D

For the record, according to Amazon the next releases are:

January 23rd "The Sensorites"
    February 13th "Revisitations 3 ("Tomb Of The Cybermen", "The Three Doctors" and "Robots Of Death")
    March 5th "The Face Of Evil"
    March 26th "The Daemons"

Don't knoiw when they're out but as far as i'm aware they're lining up:
    Reign of Terror with animated missing episodes
    Planet of Giants - with audio reconstructions of original episodes 3 & 4
    Reconstructed Shada - getting released with More than 30 yrs in the Tardis
    Ace box set - which I think is Happiness Patrol and Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Don't know if they're all out this year though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane54 wrote: »
    Don't knoiw when they're out but as far as i'm aware they're lining up:
    Reign of Terror with animated missing episodes
    Planet of Giants - with audio reconstructions of original episodes 3 & 4
    Reconstructed Shada - getting released with More than 30 yrs in the Tardis
    Ace box set - which I think is Happiness Patrol and Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Don't know if they're all out this year though.

Ace boxset is Dragonfire and Happiness Patrol