More Who on Horror

Comments

• Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    chattswho wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I sometimes wish new who would do away with pointless stories within the series, but instead, turn the better stories into 2 or even 3 parters. Silurians for instance with its 7 parts to the story allowed for a really good & in-depth story to develop. Modern stories in dr who today are rushed too quickly.
    Watching Inferno now BTW.

all nu is pointless to me
    But Inferno is excellent and will rematch in a minute
    It's a shame that Liz left without an exit story as she was excellent and she was intelligent too which helps, I know the story is old but I prefer the effects and stuff to nu-who, it's a lot more enjoyable and reminds me what made me a fan of classic who, I watched 1-7 in the 90's and forget which stories weren't shown
    The effects are decent and the characterisation is strong
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed with the Jon Pertwee series' his first 2 only had 25 episodes each and from his third they have 26 episodes in each which is the format they use until his last series.
    They then do something similar when Tom Baker starts by only having 20 episodes in his first series and then upping them to 26 onwards, until Tom's last series which has 28 episodes.
    Peter Davison has his first series as 26 then second as 22 but with the 5 Doctors special which makes it up to 26 episodes and his last series of course is where he regenerates so Colin Baker takes over for the last story, with Peter doing 20 and Colin doing 4, so thats a short series too!

I wonder why the inconsistency in series length when from Jon's first to Peter Davison's last the standard was (or supposed to be) 26 x 25 min episodes?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalas schoolgirl outfit in City of Death is a reference to Gigi. espec the musical film version
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that Liz left without an exit story as she was excellent and she was intelligent too which helps, I know the story is old but I prefer the effects and stuff to nu-who, it's a lot more enjoyable and reminds me what made me a fan of classic who, I watched 1-7 in the 90's and forget which stories weren't shown

Inferno is another story that I can't remember having seen before. I watched some of the UK Gold re-runs but not all of them. When UK Gold first aired them they hadn't cleared the rights to the Dalek stories IIRC so they were skipped out, along with, obviously, all the episodes that were missing at that time.
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Silurians followed by Inferno in the same week is a joy!
    They are a little similar in plot and style though :blush:
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been really enjoying the Jon Pertwee Dr Who stories Horror Channel have been showing and I watched Inferno on Horror Channel this morning and what an entertaining atmospheric story it is. I really love Delia Derbyshire and Brian Hodgson's abstract electronic music on this which helps with the atmosphere of this story. This is what NuWho should be like but today's audience don't appreciate unique television nowadays which is the reason NuWho is like everything else on television nowadays.
    Forum Member
    Silurians followed by Inferno in the same week is a joy!
    They are a little similar in plot and style though :blush:

I actually was thinking of the Silurians a while ago so I'm happy to see it
    I would be over the moon if they showed existing stories from 1st to 7th in order
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another thing I've noticed, on the closing credits of Carnival Of Monsters (and The Green Death, to give another example), it says "Dr Who", but on Planet Of The Spiders it says "Doctor Who". When did this change?
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've got Freeview so I cannot see Horror Channel. I've got most of those stories on DVD anyway.
    I'm looking forward to UK Drama showing omnibus editions of the first 8 Doctors, starting from Sunday November 2nd! :)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Here's another thing I've noticed, on the closing credits of Carnival Of Monsters (and The Green Death, to give another example), it says "Dr Who", but on Planet Of The Spiders it says "Doctor Who". When did this change?

The closing credits of both Carnival Of Monsters episodes today were skewif too, so that the right hand side of all the words was sloped down below the level of the left hand side of the words!
    Forum Member
    IanMarter had a role in Carnival and went on to be Harry and I didn't know
    Excellent story
    The reference to chickens not being what they se givezs a cheeky reference to the twist of the story
    Excellent effects and plotting plus characterisation
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    24 Oct The Time Warrior
    28 Oct The Sontaran Experiment
    29 Oct The Sun Makers
    31 Oct The Ribos Operation

4 Nov The Pirate Planet
    6 Nov The Stones of Blood
    10 Nov The Androids of Tara
    12 Nov The Keeper of Traken
    14 Nov Logopolis
    18 Nov Kinda

http://www.horrorchannel.co.uk/shows.php?letter=D&genre=Entertainment
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got Freeview so I cannot see Horror Channel. I've got most of those stories on DVD anyway.
    I'm looking forward to UK Drama showing omnibus editions of the first 8 Doctors, starting from Sunday November 2nd! :)
    UKTV Drama is FTA (ch20 on Freeview) so we can all see this. Excellent! :D

I haven't seen any original Doctor Who (ie pre-nuWho) since being a kid in the 1970s so this is exciting. I hope enough of it is good (wobbly sets etc accepted and forgiven) to not spoil my/our enjoyment. :)
    Forum Member
    I watched it in the early 90s
    It's fine lol
    The effects are dated on Carnival of monsters but they pleases me plus the story and characterisation helped
    Same for Silurians with the dino
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea when they start the weekend repeats of the new batch?

My 'Silurians' had a jump in transmission so I cant transfer to disk yet.

Alternatively, are all versions of the Silurians Dvd Vidfired as there seems to be more than one version?
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    4 Nov The Pirate Planet
    6 Nov The Stones of Blood
    10 Nov The Androids of Tara
    12 Nov The Keeper of Traken
    14 Nov Logopolis
    18 Nov Kinda

http://www.horrorchannnel.co.uk/shows.php?letter=D&genre=Entertainment
    No Power of Krull or Armageddon Factor?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »

The Credits didn't change to "The Doctor" till Peter Davison took over (and then went back to "Doctor Who" for Chris E).

Prior to that it was a mixture of "Doctor Who" and "Dr. Who".

First and Second Doctors were credited as "Dr. Who" for their entire runs.

Spearhead from Space was the first story to use "Doctor Who" but as noted Pertwee was also credited as "Dr. Who" on occasion.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never saw the Tom Baker era as a child due to moving to a different country and no BBC so I'm catching up with them now. Deffo my favourite Dr. I find the current format series far too bombastic more often than not so I'm also enjoying low key way they used to make 'em.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I hope Horror show Mark of the Rani again as I love to see the cliffhangers for that.
    Mark:
    1. The Rani reveals herself by taking off her hat
    3. The Doctor asks where Stephenson has got to

See they sounds thrilling! :D

That's a problem that affects all of S22's stories - they were designed as 45 minute episodes, not the usual 25 minutes, and so had one "true" cliffhanger. When the 25-minute versions were being prepared by BBC Enterprises (now BBC Worldwide) for international sale, they had to find the nearest "cliffhanger-like moment" in the run up to the 25 minute mark (not over 25 minutes) to make a new cliffhanger.

I've not seen the 25 minute versions of the other S22 episodes bar Revelation of the Daleks, and yes, the "cliffhangers" made from the middles of the original parts 1 and 2 to make the cliffhangers of the new part one and the new part 3 on the 25-minute versions are pretty terrible, but then again, they weren't designed to be cliffhangers, just moments of surprise like you get through any episode of Doctor Who.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I don't know why the City of Death gets so much praise. I think it's one of Tom Baker's very worst stories. All those endless shots of people running around Paris, just to show they're in Paris, are so tedious. And I hate the flippant, comic, self-aware tone.

The only part of it I like is Julian Glover's Scaroth.

That is what the entirety of the time when Graham Williams was producer was like, and it got worse as his period went on. The Horns of Nimon cannot be taken seriously for this reason. At all. Ever.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    No Power of Krull or Armageddon Factor?

That's a bit weird. Like showing Episodes 1 to 8 of Trial of a Timelord and stopping. Well, a bit.

Haven't got Horror Channel but delighted at the idea that people could be, indeed are, watching absolute classics, IMHO, like Silurians, Inferno, Carnival of Monsters, Androids of Tara and the magnificent Kinda for the first time. Great. :cool:
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Horror Channel are showing the Peter Davison season 21 story Frontios on November 20th. I remember the Tractators. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the Sun Makers, even if the staging of the fights was just about the most perfunctory in the history of television!
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the Sun Makers, even if the staging of the fights was just about the most perfunctory in the history of television!
    Apart from Horror Of Fang Rock I remember being disappointed with that entire 1977-78 season. Watching The Sun Makers this week, I realise now that the story wasn't that bad but at the time it seemed a million miles removed from the excellent stories that had been broadcast just a few months earlier at the start of 1977.

Horror are now showing The Ribos Operation, the first story from The Key To Time story arc and from the next season on from The Sun Makers and it is a much better story. And Mary Tamm looks absolutely gorgeous - I was 14 at the time that this serial was shown and can remember how much in lust I was with her at the time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I liked about Sun Makers was the obvious digs at the Labour tax regimes of the era and the relationship between The Collector and Gatherer Hade, the latters obsequiousness in his addressing of the former was a conveyor belt of amusement.