Face pulling

Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
Forum Member
Why is it so many singers seem to think they've got to pull a series of ridiculous faces when they sing? Some are so off putting I find myself not listening to the singing!

Comments

• big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrea is particular guilty of pulling really annoying facial expressions when his performing I think.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes naturally as you focus on what you are singing about. It is not isolated to singing, many guitarists also do the same thing. It is a bad habit.

Now some people overdo the face pulling which I admit, affects the enjoyability of watching the performance. It is not a hard thing to overcome, I think Simon was spot on with this comment to Andrea.

People simply will always make facial expressions when singing, if they don't then they are not singing with enough emotion. People like Andreas must however, control it a bit, start singing in front of a mirror and all will come good.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take note Paul, Andrea and Jake. I can't watch them.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    I can watch Mr Andrea all day.....singing from the soul, for sure! !! Alot of currant artists are pulling worse faces than that imo.....nicki, iggy, kesha etc. And yet they're still around today still singing and no one is batting a eyelid
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    It comes naturally as you focus on what you are singing about. It is not isolated to singing, many guitarists also do the same thing. It is a bad habit.

Now some people overdo the face pulling which I admit, affects the enjoyability of watching the performance. It is not a hard thing to overcome, I think Simon was spot on with this comment to Andrea.

People simply will always make facial expressions when singing, if they don't then they are not singing with enough emotion. People like Andreas must however, control it a bit, start singing in front of a mirror and all will come good.

But the gurning that many seem to insist on seems a fairly new phenomenon! Look back 15 years plus and it didn't happen with such regularity!
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind the face pulling - it shows a bit of emotion and it's a good way to 'connect wth the song' like the judges always wang on about. I think the one face (which Andrea and Ben have been guilty of so far) that isn't so attractive is the 'something smelly under your nose' face. No idea where it's come from but it seems quite common this year.
  • LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrea does some really odd eyebrow movements and Jay sang his whole song with his face screwed up. I can't concentrate on the singing as I'm that busy laughing!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tall, lanky one in that boyband pulls the ugliest faces when he's trying to belt....he scrunches up one eye and looks like Quasimodo:o
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LH1 wrote: »
    Andrea does some really odd eyebrow movements and Jay sang his whole song with his face screwed up. I can't concentrate on the singing as I'm that busy laughing!

Jay is always squinting I wish someone would buy him some spectacles.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    The tall, lanky one in that boyband pulls the ugliest faces when he's trying to belt....he scrunches up one eye and looks like Quasimodo:o
    Roflmao ! So true infact he reminds me of a young Arsene Wenger.
  • Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

lol true

I think its called being "intense" or being "in the moment".

Much like when your doing a no.2

Oh no - did i just go there? :D
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    lol true

I think its called being "intense" or being "in the moment".

Much like when your doing a no.2

Oh no - did i just go there? :D

I actually loled!!!! You did go there indeed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Lola is another face puller..I was ironing and nearly burnt my top haha
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Andrea's face pulling was painful to watch!
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gurning has been popular in opera singing for years. Is there a way to sing opera without pulling off putting faces?
  • LSUduckLSUduck Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I've never minded face pulling. It's natural and shows some sort of humanity.
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was most noticeable tonight with Chloe as when she got to a certain part u could see she put her hand on her head and pulled a certain face and did it quickly as she seemed to remember late..it might have been choreography but I didn't think they had that for the sing off
  • MummyNutNutMummyNutNut Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrea is bad at face pulling but his voice is so good you kind of have to forgive him. Helen from the overs who got to judges houses was particularly bad at this - it put me right off her.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its how they convey "soul" or feeling when there is none in their voice.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a difficult balance I think. If they sang with no expression they would get criticised as well. I guess it comes with practice.
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't mind the face pulling - it shows a bit of emotion and it's a good way to 'connect wth the song' like the judges always wang on about.

You shouldn't need to convey emotion by pulling facial expressions only, you should be able to hear it come through in their voice, when someone talks you can tell by their tone of voice what they're feeling so it should be the same singing, if you listen to pink without watching, you can hear what she is feeling anyway but I suspect it would be harder to tell with some of the contestants this year. You can also see sadness in someones eyes too and a lot of actors can portray a lot of emotion with a subtle look and a subtle facial expression, you don't need all this over the top scrunching up the face, bending over in pain clutching your heart crap. :rolleyes:
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Its how they convey "soul" or feeling when there is none in their voice.

Agreed