Lowest cost for One Plan

Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been giving a lot of thought to switching to Three and have concluded that it's probably the right move for me.

I need tethering, so that pretty much limits me to the One Plan but even the SIM-only One Plan is nearly 2.5x what I'm paying just now which is putting me off a little.
So I was thinking that the other option would be to try and find some cheap deal with a handset which I could flog, maybe with cashback as well.

I haven't had a chance to look much yet but I was wondering if anyone knew of or could recommend any particularly good deals?
Thanks.

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    I've been giving a lot of thought to switching to Three and have concluded that it's probably the right move for me.

I need tethering, so that pretty much limits me to the One Plan but even the SIM-only One Plan is nearly 2.5x what I'm paying just now which is putting me off a little.
    So I was thinking that the other option would be to try and find some cheap deal with a handset which I could flog, maybe with cashback as well.

I haven't had a chance to look much yet but I was wondering if anyone knew of or could recommend any particularly good deals?
    Thanks.

If I remember the cheapest phone you can get on the 24 month one plan contract is 28 pounds . The reason the sim only one plan is so much is because it a 30 day contract not a year.Is unlimited data and tethering and free 4G probably best sim only deal available at moment. Don't go with 12 month contract one plan that only gives you 2GB.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

Thanks.

Affordable mobiles are doing £22pm for the one plan with a free HTC 8S (worth £150 brand new). 22x24= £528 - £140 for selling the phone = £388/24= £16pm theoretically.

Alternatively you can get the one plan for £14pm from affordable mobiles but it's a cashback deal that involves you sending your bill in every 3 months. So there is a risk it might not go through. I wouldn't recommend it myself.

http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/3/the_one_plan_(new)/htc/8s/47977988.html

http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/3/the_one_plan_(new)/lg/l3/47909892.html

What phone are you looking to get though?
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    am i right in thinking you can ask for 18 moth conracts and the provider has to offer it you
    Forum Member
    am i right in thinking you can ask for 18 moth conracts and the provider has to offer it you

nope. You can ask for a 12 month contract and they have to offer. but this can be with or without a phone. And if i remember correctly three don't do any 12 month contracts with a phone.

Still worth asking for an 18 month contract but they're not obliged to give you one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Affordable mobiles are doing £22pm for the one plan with a free HTC 8S (worth £150 brand new). 22x24= £528 - £140 for selling the phone = £388/24= £16pm theoretically.

Alternatively you can get the one plan for £14pm from affordable mobiles but it's a cashback deal that involves you sending your bill in every 3 months. So there is a risk it might not go through. I wouldn't recommend it myself.

http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/3/the_one_plan_(new)/htc/8s/47977988.html

http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/3/the_one_plan_(new)/lg/l3/47909892.html

That's not a not bad deal actually on the HTC 8S it's a pretty decent Windows phone as well.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free Galaxy S3 on Three
    300 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data, 24 month contract,
    £20 per month.

http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3/pay-monthly.html?min=any&txt=any&cl=any&lr=any&data=any&fg=any&net%5B%5D=4&sb=
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    Free Galaxy S3 on Three
    300 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data, 24 month contract,
    £20 per month.

http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3/pay-monthly.html?min=any&txt=any&cl=any&lr=any&data=any&fg=any&net%5B%5D=4&sb=

Next time read the OP mate ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on the One Plan at £22 a month. Came with a low-end LG Android phone, but got £100 auto cashback. So it works out at something like £17 a month over 24 months.

For the contract length, if anything the longer the better.

Truly unlimited data including unlimited tethering isn't something I can see them maintaining after they launch LTE. They've said they won't charge more, but that doesn't stop them from dropping tethering or capping it on new contracts going forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mtj wrote: »
    I'm on the One Plan at £22 a month. Came with a low-end LG Android phone, but got £100 auto cashback. So it works out at something like £17 a month over 24 months.

For the contract length, if anything the longer the better.

Truly unlimited data including unlimited tethering isn't something I can see them maintaining after they launch LTE. They've said they won't charge more, but that doesn't stop them from dropping tethering or capping it on new contracts going forward.

They can't impose a limit on the tethering that would go against entire point of the one plan as it is meant for that. To cap the speed of LTE would be pointless as well. If they ruin the one plan they going lose a lot of people.

In fairness though when LTE comes out it will just be a faster speed the data that is used shouldn't go up to much at all. I think the speeds won't be as fast as vodafone or EE but it still should work.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the deal I'd looked at last night.
    I've bought from Affordable Mobiles before with no problems, I've also had cashback deals before with no issues (albeit not from Affordable Mobiles) so I'd have no qualms about going down that route.

I'm going to look round various other online retailers, I was just curious if anyone knew of anything of a similar or cheaper price.

Don't care.
    I'll be buying a handset outright, I just want on the One Plan as cheaply as possible. I'll flog whatever handset comes with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone aware of any other mobile sites worth looking at other than Affordable Mobiles and BuyMobilePhones.net?

Dialaphone is out because they're owned by P4U and P4U don't deal with Three.
    Weirdly, e2save, OneStopPhoneShop and mobiles.co.uk are all no longer offering deals on Three. They're all owned by CPW, whose own homepage is dominated by a deal on Three for the S4.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in theory when my one plane contracts ends in my iPhone 4S could I take out a new contract on the one plan cheaper and then port my number out then back in onto the new contract and still use the new sim in my iPhone 4
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    So in theory when my one plane contracts ends in my iPhone 4S could I take out a new contract on the one plan cheaper and then port my number out then back in onto the new contract and still use the new sim in my iPhone 4

Yes. But if you're an existing customer you might be able to get a good retention deal that beats any new customer deal. The chance is slim but i'm paying £12.50pm for the one plan at the moment so it can be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow was that on retention ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. But if you're an existing customer you might be able to get a good retention deal that beats any new customer deal. The chance is slim but i'm paying £12.50pm for the one plan at the moment so it can be done.
    That sounds like the sort of deal I'd like ;)
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Wow was that on retention ?

Yes, but i got this more than a year ago when Three had good retention deals on the one plan. I don't think you can get it for £12.50pm now. The cheapest offer i and others have had is £14pm now.

So i'm going to stay on the £12.50pm for the meantime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This seems to be the best deal around, unless anyone's aware of any more sites to look at.
    But I have discovered that the likes of QuidCo offer £40 cashback for Affordable Mobiles, which would take the effective monthly cost down below £13/month.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on the one plan 24month contract for £27 p/m :-)

(The unlimited data/tethering option)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    They can't impose a limit on the tethering that would go against entire point of the one plan as it is meant for that. To cap the speed of LTE would be pointless as well. If they ruin the one plan they going lose a lot of people.

In fairness though when LTE comes out it will just be a faster speed the data that is used shouldn't go up to much at all. I think the speeds won't be as fast as vodafone or EE but it still should work.

The sim-only 12 month One Plan already has limits. It only has 2GB of data.
    Forum Member
    The sim-only 12 month One Plan already has limits. It only has 2GB of data.

You're missing his point. That's a new plan that was introduced as a new plan. It was not bait and switch operation that other companies like T-Mobile and Virgin did recently with their unlimited data.

Three would not stop unlimited data and tethering on their top end plan as that's the whole point of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're missing his point. That's a new plan that was introduced as a new plan. It was not bait and switch operation that other companies like T-Mobile and Virgin did recently with their unlimited data.

Three would not stop unlimited data and tethering on their top end plan as that's the whole point of it.

Completely agreed the Sim-only 30 day rolling and 24 month phone contract are there top plans. The 12 Month contract I don't see much point in you might as well get the 30 day rolling it's not a lot more a month and you can cancel whenever you want.

Plus if you sign up now or already are you can keep the contract, as they can't remove any of the features of it they couldn't as they it would be against the law. A lot of americans still have unlimited data because of grandfather plans I imagine eventually The One Plan may become like that if it gets removed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He never suggested they would do a 'bait and switch' style move either, he was postulating that with the introduction of LTE, they may change their tariffs:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True it doesn't but if you sign up before that time you will be safe and be able keep on the contract available now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    True it doesn't but if you sign up before that time you will be safe and be able keep on the contract available now.
    Well, provided you never upgrade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I get a nano sim for an iPhone 5 if I take out a contract for the LG, they have different sims and then 3 will know what I'm up to