Options

Madonna - her most underrated and overrated songs

2»

Comments

• Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jump is one of my faves off that album, the other one is Forbidden Love.

Don't judge me but my other COAD favourite apart from Get Together and Jump is I Love New York. :D Good to see you on the forums again! :)
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Don't judge me but my other COAD favourite apart from Get Together and Jump is I Love New York. :D Good to see you on the forums again! :)

I quite like I Love NY too, the lyrics are quirky.

Yes, i'm still on the forums though I do tend to be more of a lurker these days and only post occasionally. I don't tend to frequent the soap forum as much as I used to but once Captain Featherbrain and Mouthy Mare return that may change!
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Underrated - Secret, Angel, Human Nature, Justify My Love
    Overrated - True Blue, La Isla Bonita, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Vogue
  • Options
    TomAceTomAce Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Overrated: 'Like a Virgin', 'Music', 'Get Together'

Underrated: 'Oh Father', 'Rain', ''Til Death do us Part'
  • Options
    Big GunsBig Guns Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Over rated - Music, Ray of Light,
    Under rated - Bad Girl, Power of Goodbye, Love Spent, Ghosttown
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Underrated singles: Bedtime Story, American Life, Deeper & Deeper, What It Feels Like For a Girl, Drowned World

Overrated: Music, Open Your Heart, Material Girl
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we just stick to singles to make things simple, surely by definition the móst under-rated Madonna track has to be 'Gambler'. I believe it's still in the top third of her best-selling UK singles, yet no-one knows it today and it's never played anywhere. I much prefer its galvanic electro-rock thrust to the 'nice' but somewhat insipid Crazy For You from the same film soundtrack.

Over-rated - well I have to agree with others that 'Like A Prayer' never seemed that great as a single. Please don't get me wrong, it's an absolutely fantastic SONG - just not, I ever felt, prime single material. Clearly though plenty enough people thought otherwise at the time! :blush:
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overrated - Either Vogue or Like A Prayer
    Underrated - Live To Tell

My favourite Madonna songs are Like A Virgin, Into The Groove, Papa Don't Preach and True Blue.
  • Options
    TomAceTomAce Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Over-rated - well I have to agree with others that 'Like A Prayer' never seemed that great as a single. Please don't get me wrong, it's an absolutely fantastic SONG - just not, I ever felt, prime single material. Clearly though plenty enough people thought otherwise at the time! :blush:

I think it would have been a crime to have left Like a Prayer sitting on an album somewhere without a release and video. It's one of Madonna's defining and radio friendly songs. Whether it's overPLAYED or not, that is another thing, and could possibly make one tired of the song.:kitty:
  • Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Underrated - Nothing Fails, Over and Over, Spanish Eyes, Oh Father, I Don't Give A, Beautiful Killer, Spotlight,

Overrated - Open Your Heart, Beautiful Stranger, This Used To Be My Playground
  • Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overrated: Like a Prayer, Like a Virgin, Ray of Light, Frozen (anything off that album)
    Underrated: Deeper and Deeper, Secret (or anything off Bedtime Stories), Erotica, Justify my Love, Angel

Roughly I'd say her mid 90s stuff (apart from that bloody Ray of Light album) is largely forgotten but I kind of like the sexy/R&B Madonna stuff in this era. Both Erotica and Bedtime Stories were fantastic albums.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overrated - Confessions of a dancefloor era.
    Underrated - Bedtime stories era

this totally. Now i've set myself free of madge. Feels real good.;-)
  • Options
    Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under rated: Everybody, You'll See, Bad Girl

Over rated: Ray of Light
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Underrated:

Take A Bow
    Secret
    The Power of Goodbye
    Nothing Really Matters
    What It Feels Like For A Girl

If we're talking about non-single tracks, much of the Bedtime Stories album ranks highly as far as underrated Madge stuff goes. Love love love love that album! People (not Madonna fans) sometimes forget that was her first foray into R&B/urban music, not Hard Candy 14 years later.