Torchwood - Episode 3: 'Ghost Machine' (BBC3, 29th Oct 2006)

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote:
    Gareth Thomas was so disheveled I didn't recognise him til near the end!

Same here. It wasn't until he kicked Owen out of his flat and took his glasses off that I realised who he was. I shouted "Oh my God, its Blake" and my partner rolled his eyes and gave me that look as if to say "How on earth did I end up living with this sci-fi saddo". I'm sure many other forum members will recognise that particular 'look'.
    jamesp26 wrote:
    One thing about the show - the incidental music is absolutely superb. The music that played at the end when the old guy died at the end was perfect. Why can't Murray Gold be more like this in Doctor Who. Sometimes less is more.

Yes, I noticed this as well. Particularly in the opening scene with Gwen chasing the boy through the rail station. Much better music than in many of the Doctor Who episodes. The Torchwood music compliments the scenes so much better - often in Who (not all the time, but often enough that its annoying) the music seems at odds with the actors.

Three other points:
    1. I really enjoyed this episode, but must admit I was looking for a greater twist at the end. That said, Gwen is terrific and I think she reacted brilliantly to what happened.
    2. I really like the fact Torchwood is set in Cardiff. It makes a terrific change to London or 'the North' so I am a little perplexed that it seems to be such a sticking point for some people.
    3. I'm not too happy about this 'straight agenda' that seems to be creeping into the show. Last week we had to put up with a man and woman having sex, and Gwen in bed with her boyfriend. This week, Gwen re-visited romantic memories of life with her boyfriend. And we also had Gwen and Captain Jack getting all up close and personal while training to use guns. Gwen and Jack? Come on, BBC! Torchwood is supposed to be a Gay show, isn't it? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote:
    Same here. It wasn't until he kicked Owen out of his flat and took his glasses off that I realised who he was. I shouted "Oh my God, its Blake" and my partner rolled his eyes as if to say "How on earth did I end up living with this sci-fi saddo". I'm sure many other forum members will know what I'm talking about.

Yes, I noticed this as well. Particularly in the opening scene with Gwen chasing the boy through the rail station. Much better music than in many of the Doctor Who episodes. The Torchwood music compliments the scenes so much better - often in Who (not all the time, but often enough that its annoying) the music seems at odds with the actors.

Three other points:
    1. I really enjoyed this episode, but must admit I was looking for a greater twist at the end. That said, Gwen is terrific and I think she reacted brilliantly to what happened.
    2. I really like the fact Torchwood is set in Cardiff. It makes a terrific change to London or 'the North' so I am a little perplexed that it seems to be such a sticking point for some people.
    3. I'm not too happy about this 'straight agenda' that seems to be creeping into the show. Last week we had to put up with a man and woman having sex, and Gwen in bed with her boyfriend. This week, Gwen re-visited romantic memories of life with her boyfriend. And we also had Gwen and Captain Jack getting all up close and personal while training to use guns. Gwen and Jack? Come on, BBC! Torchwood is supposed to be a Gay show, isn't it?

LMAO! :D;)
  • musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    I watched the first two eps and was hooked, allthough this one apart from the teaching gwen to shoot scene was pretty poor!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed this episode a lot, hope the rest are as good.
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I liked the two episodes last week and of course next week should be a corker so I'll stick with the show, but last night's wasn't great.

The idea was very good, as was the first half or so of the plot, but I found the ending to be really poor. The whole thing about seeing "future echoes" and attempting to change them desipte it being unavoidable has been done a million times before with much better twists. Also the dialouge at times felt like it was written by Garth Merenghi, and the use of flashbacks to spell out a not-very-complicated plot was pretty patronising (yes, we all know he said he was going to get run over out there, it was just a minute ago!).

So, overall it was a good concept with some good bits at the start, but was probably one of the weaker episodes of the series.

Now, can we have more Naoko Mori please? :)
    Forum Member

Yes, a bit worried she'll end up sitting in the Torchwood office directing them from street to street - while the others get all the action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote:
    I'm not too happy about this 'straight agenda' that seems to be creeping into the show. Last week we had to put up with a man and woman having sex, and Gwen in bed with her boyfriend. This week, Gwen re-visited romantic memories of life with her boyfriend. And we also had Gwen and Captain Jack getting all up close and personal while training to use guns. Gwen and Jack? Come on, BBC! Torchwood is supposed to be a Gay show, isn't it? :rolleyes:
    That'd be funny, only we know you're not joking!
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eps 7 and 12 (at least) should give you more Tosh

My views on "Ghost Machine" are here:

http://theworldfromhere.blogspot.com/2006/10/torchwood-ghost-machine-810.html

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the use of flashbacks to spell out a not-very-complicated plot was pretty patronising (yes, we all know he said he was going to get run over out there, it was just a minute ago!).

Agree 100% with this. Thats what an "adult" show should be like. Not sex and swearing for the sake of it - (or more accurately a swearing episode and a sex episode, but I dont want to get started on that rant again) - but rather that you can treat your audience like adults.

Although there may be a distintion between "adult" TV (which is really TV for adolescents - "cause its got naughty words in it") and TV for Grown ups.
    Will have to wait until the series progresses to see which one Torchwood will grow into.
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote:
    That'd be funny, only we know you're not joking!

I think I just proved that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin_F wrote:
    3. People complaining about the accents - Wise up! Theres some ignorant sh*t being posted on this subject. They are in wales - people in wales often speak with a welsh accent. Get over it.
    EVERYONE has an accent. EVERYONE. Shows set in America - people speak with american accents (or Canadian ;) ), Glasgow with glaswegian accents, London with.... well you get the point.
    Its not set in England. Deal with it.
    I totally agree with that - and I hope that people will now knock it on the head and concentrate on the programme itself (and I say that as a Midlander, with a Worcestershire/Brummie accent, and proud of it).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Liked this episode a lot, but.......

If their job is to investigate alien artefacts, presences etc, how come thy don't follow up where the ghost machine came from? Didn't the guy find it in some old bloke's garage in a tin box with alien money in it?

If I was in their shoes, I'd want to have a poke around to see if there's anything alse in there - like a TARDIS :confused:
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin_F wrote:
    The domestic stuff. Yeah... can see peoples point about it but I thought it was actually quite well done. Yes it was boring, but Gwen was bored as well! Think that was the whole point. To show that will all this new stuff going on, domestic stuff is an unwelcome interruption.
    That said... who phones their other half at work and asks if they want any washing done?? :confused: Guy just seemed like a bit of a tool.
    Someone whose partner just got a new job, and now seems to spend hardly any time with them? Someone who's feeling lonely and wants some contact, some communication, and this is as close as they can get? (Not very) deep down, I don't think he was really asking about the washing.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked this episode a lot, but.......

If their job is to investigate alien artefacts, presences etc, how come thy don't follow up where the ghost machine came from? Didn't the guy find it in some old bloke's garage in a tin box with alien money in it?

If I was in their shoes, I'd want to have a poke around to see if there's anything alse in there - like a TARDIS :confused:

Cap'n Jack dismissed the box of stuff as having all drifted in through the rift - I found that a bit weak, and am worrying that we may end up with 'flotsom of the week' episodes that have no more significance than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote:
    I totally agree with that - and I hope that people will now knock it on the head and concentrate on the programme itself (and I say that as a Midlander, with a Worcestershire/Brummie accent, and proud of it).
    Well there are two different complaints about the accents. One: complaining purely because it's Welsh; and two: complaining because you didn't understand dialogue because of the Welsh accent of that particular actor. While "one" is plain ridiculous, "two" may be perfectly valid. I've experienced "two" and I have relatives in Wales and am pretty used to the accent. I do wonder how the US or Canada are going to cope though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Thought the episode was excellent, the best of the 3 so far. No unnecessary 'adultness', just a really good drama with a hint of scifi. Bring on more Jack!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    The Slug wrote:
    Someone whose partner just got a new job, and now seems to spend hardly any time with them? Someone who's feeling lonely and wants some contact, some communication, and this is as close as they can get? (Not very) deep down, I don't think he was really asking about the washing.
    As my other half said at that point "If I'd had to explain to you how the washing machine worked it would have been a bloody short relationship!" :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    ratings known yet?
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member
    Whilst I only voted "Average" for this episode, it was a definite improvement over last week. No sex, subtle violence and only one swear word. In fact, at one point Gwen says something bad and it could have been so easy for them add swear words at that point, but they didn't. So well done to them for showing that they can do adult subtlely.

As for the rest of the episode. I just found it a bit dull. Not a lot actually happened and the explanations given were just technobabble. Some very bad acting this week too.

Still an improvement on last week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After having felt the emotions of the victim, I wonder if the ugly cockney (can't remember his name) will change his attitude to using the date rape spray now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tagchild wrote:
    After having felt the emotions of the victim, I wonder if the ugly cockney (can't remember his name) will change his attitude to using the date rape spray now.

I think that was purposefully why (character development-wise) Owen got that memory. We had to know he was a bit of a lech in the first place though.

G
  • The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen's boyfriend is the new Mickey the Idiot character. Unfortunately for him.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me so far torchwood has been a tad dissapointing.I thought last nights episode never really amounted to much.I suppose being a fan of Doctor Who I was expecting much more of a DW connection, being as nearly episode in the last series of DW mentioned the word Torchwood,which in itself I Felt was a little unfair due to the fact this show is not for the younger audience but was constantly being plugged on DW,so the kids were getting the teasers only to find out that they would not be allowed to watch it.
    What about older Who fans, after watching Tourchwood and seeing the potential it could have,will DW still have the appeal?I just wish that when they decided to bring Back DW they aimed at marketing it to a more mature audience,say 12 upwards and then RTD idea of Torchwood could have been incorporated into DW,a bit like U.N.I.T.that way they could have pushed the boundries a bit further and had just the right ballance of sci-fi horror and mennace without it being too childish or too Adult.Just my opinion though.
  • The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madj40 wrote:
    For me so far torchwood has been a tad dissapointing.I thought last nights episode never really amounted to much.I suppose being a fan of Doctor Who I was expecting much more of a DW connection, being as nearly episode in the last series of DW mentioned the word Torchwood,which in itself I Felt was a little unfair due to the fact this show is not for the younger audience but was constantly being plugged on DW,so the kids were getting the teasers only to find out that they would not be allowed to watch it.
    What about older Who fans, after watching Tourchwood and seeing the potential it could have,will DW still have the appeal?I just wish that when they decided to bring Back DW they aimed at marketing it to a more mature audience,say 12 upwards and then RTD idea of Torchwood could have been incorporated into DW,a bit like U.N.I.T.that way they could have pushed the boundries a bit further and had just the right ballance of sci-fi horror and mennace without it being too childish or too Adult.Just my opinion though.

I just think why bother inventing Torchwood to begin with, UNIT was already in existence doing much the same sort of stuff. They could have had a special department.
    Perhaps Torchwood are the "Boffins" that the Brig was always talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Master wrote:
    I just think why bother inventing Torchwood to begin with, UNIT was already in existence doing much the same sort of stuff. They could have had a special department.
    Perhaps Torchwood are the "Boffins" that the Brig was always talking about.

Was there not some unpleasantness about the UN threatening to sue the BBC?

G