Could Top Up TV make a come back in 2011?

tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As 2010 is coming to a end and some the space that the company had on freeview not there as reported.

Are there in talks with other box makers to bring HD to TUT, with them holding rights for ESPN, SKY Sports 1 & 2 and Gold & Home for extra services that box makers could offer buyers ?

Is there talks with Sky as they have space and wished to bring a pay service to freeview for some time and with them now having channel one which was owned by virgin.
They could together bring a box that as HD & SD with pay services ??

Also in 2012 there are plans for extra mux in some areas so they could buy the space for full paid channels to come to freeview.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    As 2010 is coming to a end and some the space that the company had on freeview not there as reported.

Are there in talks with other box makers to bring HD to TUT, with them holding rights for ESPN, SKY Sports 1 & 2 and Gold & Home for extra services that box makers could offer buyers ?

Is there talks with Sky as they have space and wished to bring a pay service to freeview for some time and with them now having channel one which was owned by virgin.

Also in 2012 there are plans for extra mux in some areas so they could buy the space for full paid channels to come to freeview.

Let's hope not. No new pay services on the DTT platform would be my preference.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Top Up TV can't really make a come back when it hasn't gone anywhere.
    I am waiting for some clown to start the first "will Top Up TV make it past 2011" thread.:)
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well either way TUTV needs to update its software more frequently and change the way it delievers content as thats two aspects which seem to cause annoyence on these forums in the past. They have righly put more enpathisis on sky sports and espn however they need a rethink on the TV Favourites and perhaps film services - wern't there supposed to be warner films??

hmmm: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/cricket/3255522/Dont-get-Dizzy-in-Adelaide.html bottom paragraph, why such empathis on TUTV in a news corp paper? I also see desmonds trying to get in on it as well http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/213399/Matthew-Hoggard-on-pre-battle-nerves
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/cricket/3255522/Dont-get-Dizzy-in-Adelaide.html bottom paragraph, why such empathis on TUTV in a news corp paper? I also see desmonds trying to get in on it as well http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/213399/Matthew-Hoggard-on-pre-battle-nerves

Interesting finds, obviously Top Up TV are paying for these promotional paragraphs. As News Corp is trying to gain approval to buy the 61% of Sky it doesn't own, there is no harm in it looking good in front of the regulators by promoting a non-Sky platform, even if most of the revenue from DTT Sky Sports subscriptions goes back to Sky anyway.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUTV will survive with $ky Sports and ESPN but I did notice that Anytime is not available with the £36 pm minimum 12 months sport contract plus free reconditioned PVR. It is only available on monthly contracts. Given TUTV's statement that Anytime is continuing, I'm not making any comment.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The basic problem is, DVB-T (hello Albert!) doesn;t work as intended - due to design flaws - hence, only carries about half the data originally intended.

This caused the collapse of ITV Digital, and severely affects the financial viability of ANY pay tv service on digital terrestrial (whatever it's called).
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    The basic problem is, DVB-T (hello Albert!) doesn;t work as intended - due to design flaws - hence, only carries about half the data originally intended.

This caused the collapse of ITV Digital, and severely affects the financial viability of ANY pay tv service on digital terrestrial (whatever it's called).

Conveniently capacity on UK DTT is increasing at switchover on the SD Muxes.

Back to the original 64 QAM mode that ITV Digital used making up for the "lost" capacity but with more power and a switch from 2k to 8k.

If three multiplexes reverted to pay TV (I personally hope not), 30 SD channels could be easy, along with higher coverage (90% not 73%) and a more robust signal. Very viable if other companies hadn't already got a stranglehold on the Pay TV market and hadn't the migration to HD TV arrived.

The ITV Digital issue was using DVB-T in transmission modes unsuitable for low powered coverage, and in my opinion just as bad as giving local TV poor low powered analogue services that again made it hard for services to remain viable.

This was uniquely a UK planning issue, and DVB-T and T2 have been successfully implemented in many countries, including in the Netherlands where Digitenne operates a multi channel pay TV service via DVB-T. If anything was broke - it was the planners who thought they could use 64QAM 2k DTT at low signal levels.

DVB / COFDM isn't that bad, and actually quite versatile in the different modes it can operate at, compared to 8VSB and its issues with multipath and changes to radio propagation, and the need to come up with E-VSB to sort the fringe reception issues out. Yes, 8VSB is better with low power, but that's not an issue here in the relatively densely populated UK once analogue transmission are out of the way and power can go up.

The following is speculation:
    I think a DVB-T Pay service could be quite possible based on the very different post-switchover environment - but obviously could never match satellite and cable capacity.

Had ITV digital have survived until 2010 and still have control of its original three multiplexes it could easily be offering e.g. Sky1, Living, MTV, Watch, Comedy Central, GOLD, Home, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel on the one mux;
    Sky Movies Premier HD, Sky Sports 1/2 HD, Eurosport HD on the second mux via DVB-T2
    and SD versions of Universal, SyFy, Sky Sports News, Discovery, Eden, NatGeo (and possibly a few ITV branded services with CITV/ITV3&4 being pay services - we'll never know) via the third mux with BBC1,2,3,4,CBBC, Cbeebies, Parliament, News /ITV1, 1+1, 2, Five, C4, E4, More4, Film4 plus BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD, C4HD and BBC HD in DVB-T2 making up the Free to Air section.
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    I am waiting for some clown to start the first "will Top Up TV make it past 2011" thread.:)

I do hope that "clown" remark wasn't aimed at myself ;)
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »

I agree, so many people are worried about TUTV it's beyond silly now. i'm getting it too via the BT forums, some clown there believes the smart people choose sky and those that don't are idiots.

he even made a statement based on my comment of "an important point in any service is the EPG", which is true, many of us use it to get the TV we want. for Him to report that the EPG is the least important thing of any box is ludicrous.

i honestly don't know why TUTV and now BT are so hated. I don't get why BT are branded selfish for wanting Sky sports...
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i honestly don't know why TUTV and now BT are so hated. I don't get why BT are branded selfish for wanting Sky sports...

This is the result of bad customer service which irates certain people who then spout off at any opportunity.

Then you have the $ky supporters who are either paid to do so or naive. This is a well known method of affecting public opinion by infiltrating forums in true $ky bully boy style. Don't feel too sorry for BT because they used to do it and got found out. The pro $ky line is always in keeping with official company policy; you never get any independent thinking. If you take happy customers, $ky will always outnumber BT & TUTV, so any minority view such as a TUTV supporter won't win.

All I would suggest is don't take it so personally. They are all in business to make money and get one over the opposition. If the WMO is lawful, TUTV will survive. If it isn't, well that doesn't bear thinking about.
    Forum Member
    i know what you mean Ray. it's just it seems so childish though. why go to all that effort?

I spose it just gets boring that's all.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest it seems rather odd that some people are so over protective when it to some companies that they have no connection to other than maybe as a customer. ;)

If you don't like what you read don't read it, or ignore it.

Maybe these companies should listen to what their customers and ex customers have to say and make the nessecery improvments needed.

All this "Everyone else is doing it so let's follow" is what has ruined so many companies past and will do so in the future.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    tvmad-alan wrote: »

they know where they went wrong

when they got rid of the old service

you would get a channel at certain times of the day when people watched that type of channel

went fantastic then they got cheap and changed :mad:
    Forum Member
    To be honest it seems rather odd that some people are so over protective when it to some companies that they have no connection to other than maybe as a customer. ;)

If you don't like what you read don't read it, or ignore it.

Maybe these companies should listen to what their customers and ex customers have to say and make the nessecery improvments needed.

All this "Everyone else is doing it so let's follow" is what has ruined so many companies past and will do so in the future.

Not always seen as overprotective, but sometimes, uncalled for ridiculing of certain services seems very odd.

as we know sky are a pain in what they do, it was clear they removed SSN because of SS1&2. therefore a fair few freeview users thought it was TUTV/BT being selfish. hardly their fault. they have a platform, they wanted to offer a sports package, sky basically said no and were dealt with accordingly.

then if you head into the BT area on this site, you get the odd insult of 'you've not got sky, you're paying a high price therefore you must be an idiot without any sense'.

the thing is, when I see threads after threads and post after post of people hoping upon hope for a service to disappear. is getting beyond silly now.

you get the point I'm trying to make across?

if they listened to their customers, then they'd be giving everyone full Hd and 3d for £1 a month.... and have a box that makes the coffee, torrents illegal films off the net, and blocks all the sport channels. :rolleyes: the box isn't that bad now.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not always seen as overprotective, but sometimes, uncalled for ridiculing of certain services seems very odd.

So? there are odd people everywhere, i find it odd that it upsets you so?
    as we know sky are a pain in what they do, it was clear they removed SSN because of SS1&2. therefore a fair few freeview users thought it was TUTV/BT being selfish. hardly their fault. they have a platform, they wanted to offer a sports package, sky basically said no and were dealt with accordingly.[/QUOTE}

Sky are greedy, I don't like them i would rather freeview than ever go back to them.

QUOTE=stuntmaster;46702590]then if you head into the BT area on this site, you get the odd insult of 'you've not got sky, you're paying a high price therefore you must be an idiot without any sense'.

Paying over the odds for a lesser service when you have other options available to you then i would also consider them an idiot.

If however you have no choice then it is understandable, saying that though when companies like top up tv offer cheap unreliable hardware for so long i have no sympathy when they get a bad name.

I have no experience of BT, if i did and it was on par with TUTV i would say the same about them.
    the thing is, when I see threads after threads and post after post of people hoping upon hope for a service to disappear. is getting beyond silly now.

I read silly stuff all the time, whoosh it goes over my head i don't care. I read reviews but in the end i will try them for myself if they sting me i leave and i will not go back.

Pretty sure that is the same for most.

QUOTE=stuntmaster;46702590]you get the point I'm trying to make across?[/QUOTE]

I do.
    if they listened to their customers, then they'd be giving everyone full Hd and 3d for £1 a month.... and have a box that makes the coffee, torrents illegal films off the net, and blocks all the sport channels. :rolleyes: the box isn't that bad now.

Hmm now your being silly.

ohh merry xmas! :)