Options

"I hate animals"

ManDingo1967ManDingo1967 Posts: 332
Forum Member
My (now former) hairdresser said these words to me the other day. As an animal lover I was shocked that someone could express such a view. A fear of certain animals such as, say, dogs, I can understand but to actually say that you HATE all animals :confused::mad:

It depresses me greatly that there are people like this in the world. I am already fairly antipathetic to the human race and meeting people like this does nothing to alter my views. I find it abhorrent enough that there are people in this world who are deliberately cruel to animals, but those like my hairdresser aren't much better in my view. You know the type - those who post 'jokey' comments on an animal cruelty news story or say that human suffering is much more important.

To my fellow animal lovers, how do you cope with such people? Is it worthwhile taking time to 'educate' them (something I've always found frustrating in the extreme, but then I'm not a big talker) or do you respect their right to hold such views?

Comments

• Options
    BlueMoodBlueMood Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    I make sure they're left in no doubt exactly how ignorant they are.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if people don't love animals, so long as it doesn't mean they think they have free rein to hurt them. Really, we can't make everyone love what we love.
  • Options
    BlueMoodBlueMood Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    I don't care if people don't love animals, so long as it doesn't mean they think they have free rein to hurt them. Really, we can't make everyone love what we love.

You do hear people saying "I would never hurt them but ........".

Sadly, in my experience, the majority of people who hate, not simply dislike, animals are totally immune to the horror of animal cruelty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own, she didn´t say she wanted to hurt all animals that she comes across, merely she hates all cute furry fluffy things. Oh well.........
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »

That's about it really it is still a free country after all