My brother has just landed in Heathrow yet the media say everythings at a standstill!

Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,631
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They really are talking shite, if my bro has just landed in Heathrow it can't be that bad and why are they saying that particular airport is closed?

Comments

• SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    They have too many people in the terminals waiting to get on flights - of course they are letting planes land that are already on their way!

There are still loads of flights that have been cancelled and therefore lots of frustrated people.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heathrow is now open, but with limited movement.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really are talking shite, if my bro has just landed in Heathrow it can't be that bad and why are they saying that particular airport is closed?

"They" aren't saying the airport is closed. "They" are saying that travel has been disrupted.

From the BBC news website, for example:
    BA said all short-haul flights out of Heathrow were cancelled but it aimed to run as many long-haul ones as possible.

I personally haven't seen or heard any news reports saying the airport is totally closed.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "They" aren't saying the airport is closed. "They" are saying that travel has been disrupted.

From the BBC news website, for example:

I personally haven't seen or heard any news reports saying the airport is totally closed

Neither have I, in fact on the BBC news this 9 am morning they said a few flights have taken off and some had landed. There are many cancellations though.

Landing a plane is not so complicated as getting one ready for departure and actually taking off. As far as I know there is nobody up in the sky de-icing the plane before landing. Try to take off with ice on the plane and it is usually disaster. So the media are not taking shite are they?
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Neither have I, in fact on the BBC news this 9 am morning they said a few flights have taken off and some had landed. There are many cancellations though

D'oh! You quoted my post before I edited the typo! I'm embarrassed! :o:D
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D'oh! You quoted my post before I edited the typo! I'm embarrassed! :o:D

I have sorted it, typo corrected, easily done:D
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landing is fine (well not fine but easier!!)

It's the taking off and frozen planes that are casuing the problems!
  • alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they def closed T5 today - I should know I was due to fly at 3.35 - no flights were going or coming in
    tbh I think they just needed to stop for a day and get things sorted.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My aunt has landed from Bulgaria, but that's at Gatwick. They spent millions on equipment to deal with this though didn't they. Way to go Heathrow lol
    I feel extremely sorry for people stranded at airports at the moment, & on the roads, but especially the ones not able to fly. Christmas ruined for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they def closed T5 today - I should know I was due to fly at 3.35 - no flights were going or coming in
    tbh I think they just needed to stop for a day and get things sorted.

flights were coming in to t5 this morning.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Sure I saw on the news earlier that one of the two runways was open. The delays are due to the backlog, not that the place is at a total standstill.