New Puppy - interesting hints and tips ?

Comments

• FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    NewExample wrote: »
    I keep seeing the word 'crate', I misinterpreted it for being a bed, and no it's a cage. A fancy word for a cage. Dogs should be brought up without being kept imprisoned. They are lovely clever creatures, and if not it's your fault for bringing it up wrong. My dog is pregnant and at the moment she's leaking everywhere, but I feel tight leaving her in the kitchen (I wouldn't want to stay in there alone, in the dark - it's haunted.) so she lies on a blanket on my bed. She is one of the most behaved and affectionate, cute springers you could meet, everyone loves her. Why on earth you'd want to lock up your dog is beyond me and it's disgusting. Would you lock up your kids in bars?! They aren't birds, they're man's best friend :(

Would i lock up my kids in bars...........
    Er yes they were in cots until they had the understanding not to throw themselves downstairs or stick their fingers into electric sockets if they woke up during the night. puppy in crate for similar reasons. I lost a puppy as a teenager due to a freak accident during the night and while small they are safe and comfortable in their cosy beds snd kept safe. Both daughter and puppy have now grown out of this stage and are happy and well adjusted.

I have cramp in my neck looking up at some folk on their high horses. We all have our own styles of parenting and loving and caring for our animals.
    Forum Member
    Sorry cant edit as Im posting on my phone. Reading that post again i actually have steam coming out of my ears at the terminology 'disgusting'. My daughter is no longer 'behind the bars' of her cot since she was two and a half and puppys crate was removed and her bed left in the warm kitchen.

Then i go on to read puppy cant be left in the dark haunted kitchen and i start to giggle at the irony of this poster judging others for their lifestyle decisions:D
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Frillynix wrote: »
    Sorry cant edit as Im posting on my phone. Reading that post again i actually have steam coming out of my ears at the terminology 'disgusting'. My daughter is no longer 'behind the bars' of her cot since she was two and a half and puppys crate was removed and her bed left in the warm kitchen.

Then i go on to read puppy cant be left in the dark haunted kitchen and i start to giggle at the irony of this poster judging others for their lifestyle decisions:D

Thank you for proving its not just me :)

.... and well done for the cot analogy ! wish id thought of that one !!!!

p.s. my latest hint is to lock the old catflap. whilst Wilbur has currently discovered he can get back into the house from his "pooh area" through it I sense that sooner or later he will only end up getting half in !!!! :D
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there was a thread a while back about crating - and it got quite heated.

Perhaps the answer is that there is no answer. There are however good owners and not so good ones. The real question is whether the use of a crate is to suit the owner, or for the good of the dog.

In my old job (visiting host families) I came across a lot of people who used crates. The good ones allowed the dog to use it as a refuge - somewhere it could go when it wanted privacy and peace and quiet - and usually the door was left open. I was also horrified to find a couple of people who caged their dog for long periods while they went out - in case it damaged their home or messed.

Many years ago - I shared an office with an active toddler and a young dog. The dog went gratefully into the play pen when it needed quiet time - away from the child!
    Forum Member
    I certainly dont mind healthy debate :)

I can see pro's and con's to the use of crates and can fully appreciate that some people could misuse them.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    right so its ok to keep a bird in a cage but not a dog (by your reasoning, not mine, a crate is not a cage if used properly)?

Oh and your kitchen's haunted.

Sorry but any value or relevance that there might of been in your post (and I doubt there was any) or in future posts has been overshadowed by these two idiotic statements.
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I certainly dont mind healthy debate :)

I can see pro's and con's to the use of crates and can fully appreciate that some people could misuse them.

I said I was confused at first and through a search I discovered a crate was a cage. And I live in a 1700s old working cotton mill cottage and I assure you that it is. Quite simply. And she cannot stand it, very weird goings on happen day and night and she'll just growl in midair for no apparent reason, have her tail and hairs on back stand up and act very defensive about something in the room. I see odd light flashes and the lights go on and off by themselves and the plugs are always being unplugged, especially the kettle and telly.
    I understand my post did sound quite offensive to those owners who would prefer to use the cage in early development, but it's up to you and what you're used to and your instincts surrounding what is right and wrong and more beneficial to your dog. For us, she was in the kitchen in her big bed (before we moved here) and would stay sound asleep after I went to bed and all the lights were out, outside then quick treat, then rub her belly and go to bed! She'd whimper a bit but go to sleep straight away almost. Since moving here, a few weeks in the kitchen were enough to say something was definitely wrong and I couldn't handle leaving her in there anymore, at first I thought it was mere getting used and settling in, but more time I spent here the more I realised why. I was very skeptic of it all at first but dogs see more in their wavelength field of vision and sense things around you, especially springers, very clever adorable animals. I'm used now and in fact was chatting to my neighbour earlier who had had a priest in her basement, as an inspection before some exorcism :o :eek: ... I'm not bothered do me no harm :D

And I would agree with that post :) I think they have a negative thing about them, and I wouldn't wish to lock my dog up in one, my choice.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [Rant back on]

Would you make your kids ride in the boot of your car ? Would you make your kids eat from bowls on the floor ? Do you make your kids pooh outside on the grass ? Would you let your kids sleep at the end of your bed every night ? The kid analogy can be useful but never really works except for people who have never had kids. Dogs are part of the family and are loving and caring companions. They aren't the same as kids by their very nature though.

..... And personally i think its equally disgusting that people who think their kitchens are "haunted" are allowed to be responsible for animals ;)
    Your last comment is ignorant which I appreciate my post was, I was on a rant as I disagree with cages. Am I allowed an opinion? And wtf you live here and see for yourself you annoying imbecile.
    Forum Member
    NewExample wrote: »
    Your last comment is ignorant which I appreciate my post was, I was on a rant as I disagree with cages. Am I allowed an opinion? And wtf you live here and see for yourself you annoying imbecile.

So you expect an opinion but refuse me one :confused:

First you call me disgusting and now an "annoying imbecile". Sadly you obviously missed my original smiley implying a tongue in cheek response with the last comment :rolleyes:

You've made a huge contribution to a thread that was meant to be a warm discussion about getting a new puppy.:rolleyes:

Glad i didn't suggest my kids followed this thread to get ideas for the new family addition ........

Oh..... And for the benefit of others here is the private message i have just received from the poster:

Puppy thread.
    Your comment in the puppy thread was out of order. What on earth? Do you bloody live here? You have no idea of my house you c*nt so **** off.

Classy......:eek:
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Oh dear... Enjoy your holiday NE!

How are things going Stuart? I'm in housetraining Hell. :p:D
    Forum Member
    Oh dear... Enjoy your holiday NE!

How are things going Stuart? I'm in housetraining Hell. :p:D

Wilbur seems to be halfway there with his housetraining tbh. The breeder had the pups asking to go out for a wee so it was a great start. We have had a few puddles but mostly when we havent noticed him wandering to the door. :o

He is on a regular 4am first wake up and then 6am is playtime :D .... hence my posting so early on a Sunday morning :p obviously he is now fast asleep again now and snoring at my feet :D

biggest problem we have is his obsession with grabbing at clothes - but mostly the clothes of my 14 year old daughter. She is getting paranoid to be honest but i think its that, because she is youngest, she is much more playful with him so he sees her more at his level. she has lost a few pairs of school tights already tho ! :) We had a friend bring their 6 year old daughter round yesterday and Wilbur was gentle as anything with her !
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Hee! Tux is a stealy thief. He keeps nicking socks off the clothes horse when nobody's watching and stashes them in his crate. :D I'm up at silly o'clock for the same reason, meanwhile the whippy has fallen asleep on my feet with his ear inside out. :rolleyes: :D
    Forum Member
    Hee! Tux is a stealy thief. He keeps nicking socks off the clothes horse when nobody's watching and stashes them in his crate. :D I'm up at silly o'clock for the same reason, meanwhile the whippy has fallen asleep on my feet with his ear inside out. :rolleyes: :D

He did sleep through the whole night on Friday so we thought we had made a breakthrough - but it only lasted the one night :p

Ive been through it all before with dogs and twice with kids so I now it wont last forever :)

We are just looking forward to being able to take him out for walks.... less than 3 weeks to go :D

Wilbur likes socks too - but prefers them still on the foot .....:(
    Forum Member

What kind of pup is Tux ?

I think ive just PM'd you with a link to some pics of wilbur but photo sharing is like voodoo to me :p magical and mystical .....
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think crates are cruel but I've never had to use one with my dogs .Now people who put clothes on animals ,They should be shot .
    Forum Member
    ic wrote: »
    I don't think crates are cruel but I've never had to use one with my dogs .Now people who put clothes on animals ,They should be shot .

definitely ..... :D

although in his last few weeks we did buy our last dog a 'flying jacket' style coat for warmth as he had lost so much weight and was constantly cold :cry:
    Forum Member
    ic wrote: »

Definately agree there! stuart and arghh Im really enjoying reading about Wilbur and Tux.

Phoebe took only a week or so to get properly housetrained - it was the chewing in the early days that was the problem!

The bottom stair carpet was a gonner as was the dining room table leg. She is two now and has come out of that and is a lovely big bouncy part of the family. hope you continue to keep us updated on their progress. By the way stuart i hope you have alerted the mods to your pm. The irony eh :)
    Forum Member
    Definately agree there! stuart and arghh Im really enjoying reading about Wilbur and Tux.

Phoebe took only s couple of weeks to get properly housetrained - it was the chewing in the early days that was the problem!

The bottom stair carpet was a gonner as was the dining room table leg. She is two now and has come out of that and is a lovely big bouncy part of the family. hope you continue to keep us updated on their progress. By the way stuart i hope you have alerted the mods to your pm. The irony eh :)

Wilbur has, this morning, managed to make it to the top of the stairs :eek:

we will now be putting something across to discourage this to help his hips ! Its a whole learning curve after 12 years as to how to puppy-proof your house :p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94348942@N06/sets/
    Forum Member
    :cry:

we will now be putting something across to discourage this to help his hips ! Its a whole learning curve after 12 years as to how to puppy-proof your house :p

Oh my! Look at that FACE. He is just beautiful.

You will have so much fun with him he looks so cheeky:)
    Forum Member
    Oh my! Look at that FACE. He is just beautiful.

You will have so much fun with him he look so cheeky:)

We are just intrigued to know how he is going to end up as apparently the coat style doesnt settle for up to 12 months :eek:

His mum was very tight curls - but we think he wont be as 'poodly'

Either way he has a lovely face and very 'knowing' eyes :D trouble i suspect :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

Awwwwww! How lovely. Just remember a puppy is harder work than a baby, but they grow up quicker so are wor the hard work ans and you'll be fine :D
    Forum Member
    So you expect an opinion but refuse me one :confused:

First you call me disgusting and now an "annoying imbecile". Sadly you obviously missed my original smiley implying a tongue in cheek response with the last comment :rolleyes:

You've made a huge contribution to a thread that was meant to be a warm discussion about getting a new puppy.:rolleyes:

Glad i didn't suggest my kids followed this thread to get ideas for the new family addition ........

Oh..... And for the benefit of others here is the private message i have just received from the poster:

Puppy thread.
    Your comment in the puppy thread was out of order. What on earth? Do you bloody live here? You have no idea of my house you c*nt so **** off.

Classy......:eek:

:eek::eek: nice..........
    Forum Member
    We are just intrigued to know how he is going to end up as apparently the coat style doesnt settle for up to 12 months :eek:

His mum was very tight curls - but we think he wont be as 'poodly'

Either way he has a lovely face and very 'knowing' eyes :D trouble i suspect :p

My jackapoo (jack Russel x poodle) was tight curls the first few weeks, then went quite wirey, now at 18 months he's more like a yorkie than a poodle, and people don't beleive me when I say he's jack Russel cross! His sisters were a similar colour to your pup, and grew up to have soft golden fur now (they live near me)
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    My jackapoo (jack Russel x poodle) was tight curls the first few weeks, then went quite wirey, now at 18 months he's more like a yorkie than a poodle, and people don't beleive me when I say he's jack Russel cross! His sisters were a similar colour to your pup, and grew up to have soft golden fur now (they live near me)

ive just had to google jackapoo as i really couldnt visualise it :)

very sweet :D
    Forum Member
    ive just had to google jackapoo as i really couldnt visualise it :)

very sweet :D

He's lovely! But like I said, just looks like a long haired yorkie now! Bless his cotton socks. He's tiny though, half the size of my cat!
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a very nice looking dog.