I Don't Like Ben's Voice

GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
Forum Member
I'm probably in a minority but I cringe when he sings as it sounds like he's forcing it. Is that his real singing voice or is he just putting it on? If that's forced then there's no wonder he gets sore throats. It really grated on me tonight.

He shouldn't have touched that song. Only Aerosmith do it justice.

He's another one who thinks looks are going to just get him through.

Comments

• sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love his voice. Still, each to their own. The fact that he is good looking is merely a bonus. He certainly doesn't rely on it.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor man's Richard Marx. Got exposed tonight. Actually I should not be using his name in the same sentence as Richard Marx!!!!

I have changed it to washed up busker on the london underground trying to sound rock like.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    I don't like it either. It's very unpleasant.
  • hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love his voice I love everything about him and loved his performance tonight
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His voice is marmite - either love it or hate it. I'm with the hate, I'm afraid.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I think he is good but needs better song choices.
  • 09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me either... I didn't mind it on Jealous Guy, but this week and when he sang Bridge Over Troubled Water it sounded strained. I just don't like gravelly rock voices, sounds like he needs a good cough to me!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Voice wise he's a one trick pony
  • Love BearLove Bear Posts: 35,754
    Forum Member
    I'm not keen either - also, this may sound silly but he leaves me cold, there's something about him that I really cannot warm to but I can't put my finger on it.

It's amusing how Mel's never forgiven him for calling Cheryl beautiful and not complimenting her though.
  • sorrellsorrell Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think he's in a different class that the other acts, and I mean that in a good way!
    I love his voice, and his looks. Having said that, though it's only week 3, he hasn't really been forced out of his comfort zone yet - sure later in the competition he'll be given something that doesn't suit his personality or his vocals and maybe he could find himself in trouble - For me, that's the trouble with the X factor and year on year with the odd exception churns out some mediocre talent who ends up committed to be Simon Cowell's puppet for the next few months/years until they're dropped back into obscurity or managed to pull themselves back up and forge a decent career for themselves!

Pity Ben has had to use this show to get himself "out there". Most singers stick to the style that suits them and there's a good reason for that!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love his voice but he's singing completely the wrong songs imo. I think he should be singing more soul than rock. I said that he should have done Across 110th Street this week which he was never going to as Cowell has probably never heard of Bobby Womack but that's the sort of direction Ben should be going in imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he can sing but he doesn't perform the song. There's more to it than just singing in tune and smiling. He needs to show more connection with the lyric and a bit more emphasis otherwise it looks like a rehearsal!
  • bebo83bebo83 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I'm probably in a minority but I cringe when he sings as it sounds like he's forcing it. Is that his real singing voice or is he just putting it on? If that's forced then there's no wonder he gets sore throats. It really grated on me tonight.

I don't find it cringeworthy but I do agree with the rest.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His "grit" covers up the total lack of emotion.
  • valeziovalezio Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    I love his voice. Still, each to their own. The fact that he is good looking is merely a bonus. He certainly doesn't rely on it.

Agree with you. I really love his voice. I'm a Bryan Adams fan & would love Ben to try some of his rocky tracks. Ben is in my top 3 definitely ;-)
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I love his voice but there was no emotion in his performance last night. Simon was right, it was too sing-a-like.

What was he saying to Mel, was he apologising for something in the VT that had pissed him off?
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valezio wrote: »
    Agree with you. I really love his voice. I'm a Bryan Adams fan & would love Ben to try some of his rocky tracks. Ben is in my top 3 definitely ;-)

No PLZ would rather not hear any legendary Bryan Adams song getting murdered by a complete amateur.

Last night exposed him severely. The week before the song arrangement saved him. He has a gritty sounding voice, but no ability to use it. There is no way he could control his voice when singing higher notes from artists like Bryan Adams, doubt he could even hit those notes to b honest, simply far too inexperienced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I personally am not a big fan of Ben and don't rate him as highly as some of the other contestants.

I think he has played it way too safe with his song choices so far and his performances have also been quite dull and boring tbh.

He has failed to make any sort of impact vocally or also through his performances too. He better start going out of his comfort zone and taking chances if i am to even continue to take notice in him lol
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He has a great Rock voice.
    Joe Cocker had a similar typr voice and look how far he went.

His good looks are a bonus :)

I HATE that Aerosmith song - especially by Aerosmith.
    What an overated group.