Options

Plusnet down

shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
Forum Member
✭✭
Their website is offline and I can't access some other websites and game services. Thinking of leaving them now, I've had more issues with their service than my previous ISP (O2).

Anyone else with issues?

Comments

• Options
    Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their website is offline for me too. However i've managed to remotely access my parent's home CCTV which is running on their Fibre Broadband connection, so I guess their Fibre service is still up.

Their Support / Community forums are still online, if you want to ask them the question

http://community.plus.net/forum/
  • Options
    DigiRadioManDigiRadioMan Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Things go wrong from time to time, Fibre is working.

Hosting is up. Just there portal has gone off line.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there were some other issues too. However, I'm able to access the other sites and services now.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down for maintenance apparently
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still down, it's slow to load up when it is online.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything down at plusnet :mad:
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes it's down this morning? :confused:

says 'planned maintenance' on the status page

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2

but only for some areas..
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of the plusnet engineers put a comment on their forum

https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143623.16.html
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    PlusNet had problems here from around 0405-0905 BST, at least according to the DDNS updater which runs on my tablet every five minutes.

I've now changed my PlusNet router settings to using OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) and GoogleDNS (8.8.8.8) as my primary and secondary servers respectively-- either should be more reliable than PlusNet's, and the chances of them both being down for different reasons simultaneously should be negligible.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was off when I woke up at 7.30 as my phone would not get emails, but must have come back on about 8ish
  • Options
    JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Mine went off just after 12am.

I find it odd and alarming that many lost theirs around 1/2am but no one at PlusNet realised there was a problem until 7am.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayyK wrote: »
    Mine went off just after 12am.

I find it odd and alarming that many lost theirs around 1/2am but no one at PlusNet realised there was a problem until 7am.

You get what you pay for. I assume you're on some sort of domestic use package for
    about 20 quid/month ?

If so, do you really expect faults to be sorted in the middle of the night ?

If you're paying 100 quid a month, then that's a different matter
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. I assume you're on some sort of domestic use package for
    about 20 quid/month ?

I do agree with you, but I'd hope that critical infrastructure failures affecting a lot of customers mean alarms and people getting out of bed, even if it's a cheap ISP or not.

The people paying £1000 a month are the ones who expect that level of service when their individual connection has failed
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find bizarre is that despite incidents like this, there are still people trying to suggest that we are going to close down our incredibly robust and reliable TV and radio transmission systems and get it all on the internet instead. Imagine the uproar if something like this happened when people wanted to watch their favourite programme in the evening, or even worse a big event like a football match. I just can't see it happening.
  • Options
    stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well in plusnets defence ive been a custmoer for years and can honestly say its very very rare that ive ever had any problems. this current situation was resolved quite quickly bearing in the mind the severity of it.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    What I find bizarre is that despite incidents like this, there are still people trying to suggest that we are going to close down our incredibly robust and reliable TV and radio transmission systems and get it all on the internet instead. Imagine the uproar if something like this happened when people wanted to watch their favourite programme in the evening, or even worse a big event like a football match. I just can't see it happening.

its all about money

if they can sell the spectrum they will

id say 2020 for switch off
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

If it became that important, money and time would be put into it to make sure it works well. You can't compare today's infrastructure with that 5 or 10 years down the line. TBH I can't think I've ever had a truly major internet outage. I am with competent ISPs though.

Wasn't it the case that the old digital TV transmission network was done on the cheap? It wasn't crucial to have the utmost reliability because the important channels were on analogue. Hence our relatively slow digital switchover as it was more or less rebuilt properly. The same is true here.

But bear in mind that DTT and satellite are not infallible - if anything, it's more so, because you're only served by one transmitter or satellite, and if it does fail then it's a big deal (as Peterborough and numerous satellite failures can show)
  • Options
    JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    about 20 quid/month ?

I would expect a multi million pound company should at least be aware their servers went down. It took them 7 hours to realise there was a fault, where exactly was everyone? They must employ more than two people.
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to this news article PlusNet were "working through the night" on the problem.
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/website-and-connectivity-woes-strike-plusnet-uk-customers.html

Brian
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect a multi million pound company should at least be aware their servers went down. It took them 7 hours to realise there was a fault, where exactly was everyone? They must employ more than two people.

It took them 7 hours to announce the fault (to domestic customers), but how do you know they didn't detect it straight away ?
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    It took them 7 hours to announce the fault (to domestic customers), but how do you know they didn't detect it straight away ?
    How could the fault get announced during the night?? I would expect any technical types to (only!) use the "service status" web pages - but they were inaccessible due to the fault!!!!!:p

Normal customer-facing CS staff in companies like these tend to work ~8am to ~10pm
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A PlusNet Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk:

Since early this morning we’ve experienced an outage which affected our phone and broadband service as well as our website. We’ve worked throughout the night to resolve this and have made a lot of progress with most of our customers now up and running. However we still have a few issues which we’re working to solve as soon as possible. We would like to sincerely apologise to our customers for the inconvenience caused.”

That's a confusing statement.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The strange thing was that I could get on to their website and Facebook but hardly anything else!
  • Options
    EadfrithEadfrith Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Anyone having problems this morning?