JLS have U.S record deal with Jive

SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
Forum Member
Heres a vid of a guy that works at Jive talking about them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv98KdW-Ido&feature=quicklist

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    So they are officially with Jive in the US then. Good for them :)
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    thats really good
    Forum Member
    And the radio campaign has already started. They are have been added to 8 radio station playlists so far:

http://addboard.mediabase.com/SongAddHistory.asp?Sngcde=JLS+EIL&ob=1&format=XX
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    That's exactly the right label for them in the States - I can easily see some appearances alongside Jordan and Archie coming up for them
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Wow! That's amazing. I wonder if they'll be big in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,693
    Forum Member
    I think it's great news for the boys i hope it all works out for them over their and i think it will they have the right look and sound and i think young teens will love them. But I know they are signed to a label connected to sony and i think it would only have been fair to give Alex the first shot at the US because they are already outselling her over here in the UK and if they sell well in the US that is even more pressure on Alex and her management and unfair pressure as well because obviously the comparison to Leona and how well Spirit did over their, just think maybe Simon should have put his foot down because the media loves JLS over here and have already picked up on the fact that they are outselling Alex if they go over to the US and sell well before Alex has had a shot then no doubt they will pick up on that aswell, just seems unfair that as the winner of the the show she may have to watch the runners up sell well in the US before she has even gone over their.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for them. Everybody In Love was the right song out of the 3 to launch them in the US.

They need the two big radio companies to get behind them though. Jive, being Britney's label, is the right one for them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASH_23 wrote: »
    I think it's great news for the boys i hope it all works out for them over their and i think it will they have the right look and sound and i think young teens will love them. But I know they are signed to a label connected to sony and i think it would only have been fair to give Alex the first shot at the US because they are already outselling her over here in the UK and if they sell well in the US that is even more pressure on Alex and her management and unfair pressure as well because obviously the comparison to Leona and how well Spirit did over their, just think maybe Simon should have put his foot down because the media loves JLS over here and have already picked up on the fact that they are outselling Alex if they go over to the US and sell well before Alex has had a shot then no doubt they will pick up on that aswell, just seems unfair that as the winner of the the show she may have to watch the runners up sell well in the US before she has even gone over their.

Simon isn't linked to JLS at all. I doubt EIL will be huge anyway. No offence JLS fans.

And UK Sales wise:

Alexandra - ~2.48 million
    JLS - ~1.93 million

They are hardly outselling her overall.

Anyway, i think it's mad that JLS are attempting to crack America when they haven't even bothered with Europe unless i'm missing something. Over-confidence imo
    Forum Member
    Stube wrote: »
    Anyway, i think it's mad that JLS are attempting to crack America when they haven't even bothered with Europe unless i'm missing something. Over-confidence imo

Jive have the reputation of being good with single, and they seem to live up to it, so it may be an indication that JLS' sound is suitable for American radio.
  • TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon isn't linked to JLS at all. I doubt EIL will be huge anyway. No offence JLS fans.

And UK Sales wise:

JLS - ~1.93 million

Also, doesn't there come a time when they have to be seen as acts in their own right, to escape the X-Factor tag? It'd be like saying that Leona may have done as well as Ray Quinn in Dancing On Ice. They are both acts who hope to achieve a successful and long-lasting career in the music industry, and to do that, they have to shake off the "X-Factor Winner" tag. And by constantly being linked to one another, it doesn't help.

Moving JLS to America at the current time is a good business decision. Maybe it's not the best time to move Alexandra? America is an incredibly fickle market - people like Robbie Williams have struggled to make it, but I remember a boyband called BBMak were supporting Britney and everything.
  • SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    I think with the right material they could do well over there..

& a lot of Alex sales are from her debut single Hallelujah aswell.. so a lot of hype from winning X Factor etc.. so I think without that her and JLS are around the same
    She sells more singles.. & they have sold more albums
    Forum Member
    TheBlueOne wrote: »
    Also, doesn't there come a time when they have to be seen as acts in their own right, to escape the X-Factor tag? It'd be like saying that Leona may have done as well as Ray Quinn in Dancing On Ice. They are both acts who hope to achieve a successful and long-lasting career in the music industry, and to do that, they have to shake off the "X-Factor Winner" tag. And by constantly being linked to one another, it doesn't help.

Moving JLS to America at the current time is a good business decision. Maybe it's not the best time to move Alexandra? America is an incredibly fickle market - people like Robbie Williams have struggled to make it, but I remember a boyband called BBMak were supporting Britney and everything.

I seem to remember reading something about Alex due in the US in late March :confused:
  • TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember reading something about Alex due in the US in late March :confused:

Yeah, but the point was some people were thinking "Why do JLS go first? Alexandra won." When the point is they are both now seperate acts going in seperate directions.
    Forum Member
    TheBlueOne wrote: »
    Yeah, but the point was some people were thinking "Why do JLS go first? Alexandra won." When the point is they are both now seperate acts going in seperate directions.

Gotcha, and quite agree - the XF is over, they've been following their own paths for quite some time now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would actually help Alexandra in the long run if JLS attempted first. If radio begin to play them, then when Alex comes along they would surely play her as well since she beat them in XF. Plus she has already been creating a buzz over there so here's hoping she breaks there.

Sorry this is about JLS :o

Oh and Sweetlikeheaven, if i'm being honest i think EIL doesn't deserve to be a huge hit over there but if JLS had far better material as you say, they could be huge. They need to stop with the cheesy lyrics.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And UK Sales wise:

JLS - ~1.93 million

Alexandra's sales are partly boosted there by the winners single but I think they're both doing well. Slightly surprising that Alexandra had the bigger single and JLS had the bigger album, I'd have predicted differently a year ago.

Simon will be seeing some sort of return on JLS and he could write the contracts to prevent runners up releasing before the winner in the US but I doubt he would be in a position to alter their US release dates at this stage and I don't see why he would want to. JLS being big in the US would actually be great for him and X Factor USA.

I think "Bad Boys" is far stronger than either JLS single. But as with the UK, there's no young boyband like JLS. So JLS will be filling a gap in the market, the question is how big is that gap? The fact that they are more RnB than other UK boybands is an advantage as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    ASH_23 wrote: »

I don't thnik JLS and their management are thinking about what's "fair"...it's dog eat dog world. If Alex wants to break America than that's down to herself and Syco...JLS are thinking about their own careers and not hers.

Good luck to the boys, I'd like to see them do well all over the world.
  • Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let JLS go first and be the experiment donkeys. lol! I've checked the american online response to JLS, and tbh its not really nice... but then that mainly Toyaz world readers mocking Toya for her liking of them.

Good luck to them. They wont be able to get away with miming over there tho. They will have to record a new album, and get some decent choreographers.. and sing LIVE.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all this Alex must go first cos she won XF is crazy. JLS are probably the first XF non winner to go stateside and have earnt it with hard work. Everyones like its cos they are a boyband - like there haven't been other boybands on XF. I wish them good luck.

JLS can sing and dance so should have no issues with live performances. Perhaps the digs about singing live should be directed to CC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Let JLS go first and be the experiment donkeys. lol! I've checked the american online response to JLS, and tbh its not really nice... but then that mainly Toyaz world readers mocking Toya for her liking of them.

Good luck to them. They wont be able to get away with miming over there tho. They will have to record a new album, and get some decent choreographers.. and sing LIVE.

To be fair Alex mimes her performances too. Both JLS and Alex need to stop that because that will not work over here, they will be eaten alive. Honestly before either of them come over here they need to start recording new music because the music they have right now isn't strong enough to make it over here, IMO!

Anyway congrats to JLS they could become big over here with the right material and we currently have no boybands or have had any for a while now.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    I'm really happy for the boys. I do hope they get a chance to sing live more often though - they're perfectly capable (as proven when they do sing live), I don't know why their management do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jive are very good with boybands they have had the some of biggest world wide boys band with Backstreet Boys and NSYNC so I think this is a very good move by JLS.
    Forum Member
    They got three more adds this week. Not bad for a new act.

Mediabase Top 40 Airplay Adds

28 KE$HA F/3OH!3 Blah Blah Blah Kemosabe/RCA/RMG
    25 RIHANNA Rude Boy Def Jam/IDJMG
    24 JUSTIN BIEBER Baby Island/IDJMG
    18 TAYLOR SWIFT Today Was A Fairytale Big Machine/Uni Republic
    17 JASON DERULO In My Head Beluga Hts/Warner Bros.
    14 IYAZ Solo Beluga Heights/Reprise
    14 LADY ANTEBELLUM Need You Now Capitol Nashville/Capitol
    13 SELENA GOMEZ & THE SCENE Naturally Hollywood
    13 TAIO CRUZ Break Your Heart f/Ludacris Mercury/IDJMG
    12 NEW BOYZ Tie Me Down f/Ray J Asylum/Warner Bros.
    9 KEVIN RUDOLF I Made It (Cash Money Heroes) Cash Money/Uni Republic
    9 TREY SONGZ Say Aah Songbook/Atlantic
    9 YOUNG MONEY Bedrock f/Lloyd YM/CM/Universal Motown
    8 TRAIN Hey, Soul Sister Columbia
    7 SHONTELLE Impossible Universal Motown
    6 MATISYAHU One Day JDub/Or/Epic
    6 TIMBALAND Carry Out f/Justin Timberlake Mosley/Interscope
    5 LIFEHOUSE Halfway Gone Geffen/Interscope
    5 LUDACRIS How Low DTP/Def Jam/IDJMG
    5 OWL CITY Vanilla Twilight Universal Republic
    5 PITBULL Shut It Down f/Akon Mr305/PGM/J/RMG
    4 ADAM LAMBERT Whataya Want From Me RCA/RMG
    4 B.O.B Nothin' On You f/Bruno Mars Rebel Rock/GH/Atlantic
    4 FRAY Syndicate Epic
    4 LA ROUX Bulletproof Cherrytree/Interscope
    4 ONEREPUBLIC All The Right Moves Mosley/BG/Interscope
    3 ALLISON IRAHETA Friday I'll Be Over U 19/Jive/JLG
    3 BOYS LIKE GIRLS Two Is Better Than One Columbia
    3 CAVO Let It Go Reprise
    3 JAICKO Fast Forward (FFWD) Capitol
    3 JLS Everybody In Love Jive/JLG
    3 LADY GAGA Telephone f/Beyonce Interscope
    3 MAINE Into Your Arms Fearless
    3 ORIANTHI According To You Geffen/Interscope
    3 THE SCRIPT Breakeven Phonogenic/Epic
    2 APOLLO DRIVE Papercut Robbins
    2 CARMEN REECE Right Here REAL MF LTD
    2 DAUGHTRY Life After You RCA/RMG
    2 JOHN MAYER Heartbreak Warfare Columbia
    2 KRIS ALLEN Live Like We're Dying 19/Jive/JLG
    2 MICHAEL BUBLE Haven't Met You Yet Reprise
    2 PARAMORE Ignorance FuelByRamen/Atlantic/RRP
    2 THREE 6 MAFIA VS. TIESTO Feel It f/S. Kingston/Flo Rida Columbia
    2 X-MAN/BIG SHOT/BIG REC/KUNIQUA Heart Of The City (Who Dat) ---
    1 BLACK EYED PEAS Imma Be Interscope
    1 COBRA STARSHIP Hot Mess FuelByRamen/Atlantic/RRP
    1 DAVID GUETTA Sexy Chick f/Akon Astralwerks/Capitol
    1 DEBI NOVA Drummer Boy Decca/Universal
    1 DRAKE KANYE LIL WAYNE EMINEM Forever Interscope
    1 DRAKE MURPHY She's Going Crazy Redline Music Group
    1 GREEN DAY 21 Guns f/American Idiot Cast Reprise
    1 JAY-Z Young Forever f/Mr. Hudson Roc Nation
    1 K GATES Black & Gold ---
    1 KINGS OF LEON Sex On Fire RCA/RMG
    1 KRIS ALLEN Heartless 19/Jive/JLG
    1 LIL UNO So Addicted ---
    1 LITTLE BOOTS Remedy Elektra/RRP
    1 MADONNA Celebration Warner Bros.
    1 MILEY CYRUS When I Look At You Hollywood
    1 MUDKIDS Do It Again (Go Colts '10) ---
    1 MUSE Uprising Warner Bros.
    1 R JAYE Poison Lyrical Marketing
    1 ROB THOMAS Someday Emblem/Atlantic
    1 SMOKEY F/FLO RIDA & GIT FRESH What Girls Like Supafli Ent.
    1 SNOOP DOGG I Wanna Rock DS/Priority/Capitol
    1 TIONNE Unfreeze JDI/Universal Records
    1 VITA CHAMBERS Young Money UMG
    1 YOUNG AND DIVINE Shake That Bubble RCA/RMG
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe they are going with EIL.

Its a terrible song, they should have led with Beat again, which actually sounds up to date.
  • CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if all else fails, they might rely on condom sales.

Watch from 4.20 onwards. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2n0hR0jN-M