Options

How honest are you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In these sitautions, what would you do?

1. You find £20 on the floor, you cant see anyone around

2. You find £60 in a wallet on the floor, it has an work pass for a company up the road but nothing else

3. You find an envelope on the floor, it has a note saying 'sorry your wages are late', and £300 inside, no name or address

4. You're on a packed train, when you are about to get off and the carraige is now completly empty, you notice a brand new boxed laptop has been left on a chair

5. You find a diamond ring on the gym changing room floor

Comments

• Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd keep them all. Honestly.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all honesty, that would be the luckiest day i've ever had.
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep it.....

I used to consider myself an honest man but being honest doesn't get you anywhere, people just walk all over you.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2. You find £60 in a wallet on the floor, it has an work pass for a company up the road but nothing else

3. You find an envelope on the floor, it has a note saying 'sorry your wages are late', and £300 inside, no name or address

4. You're on a packed train, when you are about to get off and the carraige is now completly empty, you notice a brand new boxed laptop has been left on a chair

I'd keep 1 and probably hand the rest in, to be honest...
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. Keep it:o
    2. Hand it in to the company up the road
    3. Hand it in to the local police station
    4. Hand it in to a station official
    5.Hand it in to the gym reception

At least I hope I would be as honest as that - I've never stumbled across anything of value, ever.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Keep it.

2. Contact the company and ask if anyone has lost a wallet, leaving my details. If someone comes back with a description of the wallet that I'm satisfied with, I'll return it.

3. Hand it into the police.

4. Hand it into the police.

5. Leave a note on the gym notice board saying something along the lines of "Ring found in changing rooms" with my number. If someone calls with an accurate description of the ring and I'm satisfied with it, I'd return it to them.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there was some form of identification, as with the wallet, I'd return it. If not, I'd keep it.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »

Ditto

Handing in 20 would be pointless.. I can't see it ever being claimed at a police station.. so I 'may as well' take it.

Anything else is likely to be claimed and it would be strange stealing anything.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found £10 that had been left behind at the cashpoint, and took it into the bank. I'd return all those where I could or take them up the copshop.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member

1. Pick it up, put it in pocket, smile.
    2. Make a poor effort to find the owner.
    3. Try my damnest to find the owner. Someone's wages for a whole week. Too much to lose.
    4. Hmm... not sure. Is there a receipt with it?
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Pick it up, put it in pocket, smile.
    2. Make a poor effort to find the owner.
    3. Try my damnest to find the owner. Someone's wages for a whole week. Too much to lose.
    4. Hmm... not sure. Is there a receipt with it?

What about 5?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd keep number 1 and hand in the rest.

I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping something of a high value when I know there is a chance the rightful owner can be found -having lost a large sum of money myself I know how horrible it can be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »

I would do the same.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Number 4 could be a bomb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    1, Keep it. This has happened to me in the past.
    2, Go to the company up the road and ask if anyone has lost a wallet. Hand them my details and wait to see what happens.
    3, Hand it into the local police station.
    4, Leave it there on the train.
    5, Inform the person on duty at the gym what I've found and see what they think I should do with it. If they seem honest enough I'd probably just leave it with them to sort out.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    What about 5?
    lol... didn't notice there was a 5.

5. I would hand it in. I wouldn't know a diamond from a lump of coal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would probably keep it all, because if I was to hand it in I would have to assume people were as honest as me and not keep it for themselves too. Except for number 2 I would take out the cash and hand in the wallet, because all I would probably get for my trouble is a 'cheers love'.

Gosh and I thought I was honest too lol
  • Options
    MerryBerryMerryBerry Posts: 187
    Forum Member

1. I'd probably keep it.

2. I'd either take it to the company or as someone else said contact them saying I've found a wallet and if any one has lost it give me a ring and describe it.

3. Hand it in to the police.

4. Probably hand it in at the station or take it to the police station.

5. Put a note up in the gym saying I'd found a ring and maybe in the local paper too saying get in contact if they'd lost a ring.

At least I hope that's what I'd do in those situations. Well, I guess I should hand number one in but I guess it's seen as a 'small' amount so somebody might not try to find it, or expect anyone to hand it in. I lost £10 once and I didn't bother to try and find it. I was gutted and it was/is a lot of money to me but I knew that whoever found it just picked it up and put it in their pocket.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. You find £20 on the floor, you cant see anyone around I'd keep it

I'd probably hand it in

I'd probably keep it

As if that'd happen, but I'd hand it in.

Pawn it

There you go
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Keep it:o
    2. Hand it in to the company up the road
    3. Hand it in to the local police station
    4. Hand it in to a station official
    5.Hand it in to the gym reception

At least I hope I would be as honest as that - I've never stumbled across anything of value, ever.

Snap :)
  • Options
    bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess we never really know until we're tested, but I'd like to think the following:

Keep it, it's not like i've got any way of tracking the owner and it's unlikely someone's going to be contacting their local police station to see if someone's handed in a loose twenty.

Hand it in to the company office.

Hand it in to my local police station.

I have no way of knowing whose it is? In that case, hand it in to the station's staff / lost and found.

Hand it in to the gym staff, someone's very likely to phone them to ask if it's been found.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing about handing stuff in to the police, though, is there's still no guarantee the rightful owner will find and claim it-from what I've heard, most of the lost property handed in to the police is never claimed and ends up being sold off at auction or, in the case of cash, donated to charity. If there's no way of identifying the owner, you might as well keep it.
  • Options
    bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing about handing stuff in to the police, though, is there's still no guarantee the rightful owner will find and claim it-from what I've heard, most of the lost property handed in to the police is never claimed and ends up being sold off at auction or, in the case of cash, donated to charity. If there's no way of identifying the owner, you might as well keep it.

With cash and valuables handed in to the police, I think there is a policy of "finder's keepers" if no one has made a claim after six weeks, unless the police have reason to believe what you handed in was evidence in relation to a crime.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too honest here!!
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    1. Keep it. Although I did hand a tenner into the Police when I was a teenager (and then got it back 6 months later cos no-one had claimed it)

2. Hand it in to the company

3. Which floor? If it's in a building, hand it into reception. Outside, I'd like to think I'd hand it into the police. If it's my house, try and work out where it came from...

4. Alert a member of staff - it might be a bomb. If it's not, it's up to them to store it anyway

5. Hand it in - either to the police, or the gym