Options

Whooping banshee audiences on The Cube, X Factor, Million Pound Drop and CIN

CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am not a fan of any of these shows in particular but even if i was I could simply not sit through them because of this new obsession with screaming, whistling and hollering at anything!

Host walks on - mad screams from audience
Host says good evening - mad screams
Host say's something not even vaguely funny - mad screams
Host says 3 more things - 3 more breaks for mad screaming
Host introduces guests - mad screaming
Inane chat ensues - mad screaming follows

etc etc etc for a whole bloody hour

Obvioulsy the X Factor is by far the worst but The Cube and Million Pound Drop audiences are almost as bad! Especially considering they aren't even winning any money themselves and there is no way they could possibly be that excited about someone entering a cube to play a game for 1k or some randoms on the Drop.

Some of the cheering on tonight's CIN has just made no sense at all.

I am assuming this is all as a result of tv execs who tell the producers to ramp up the audience noise as it indicates to the public how popular and exciting the show is?? The problem for me is that it doesn't do this at all, it just aggravates. Indiscriminate clapping and wailing just spoils it when there actually is a moment worth getting excited about.

World we live in I spose, not gonna change now, but they must do research on this don't they?? Surely high percentage of public cannot stand the noise on X Factor?

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a good post. I agree with you about X-Factor. I have stopped watching more than a few minutes of this scream-fest. Of course it is the producers I blame who have people whipping up the audience into a frenzy. Talk about mob-mentality!

Strictly seems to be going in that direction with all the standing ovations but completely mediocre performances.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I call them 'whooptards' ©
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try watching an episode of "Conan" ... the audience continue to whoop and cheer and scream for about a
    minute after "The Basic Cable Band" have finished playing the opening title music. The crowd sound not
    entirely dissimilar to a bunch of rabid hyenas being force fed a huge overdose of illegal narcotics!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me about it is the producers don't seem to care about how much the noise can spoil it for the viewer at home. Maybe it creates a great atmosphere in the studio but they really should mix the sound so it doesn't drown out everything else for those watching on TV.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree.

I can never hear anything the judges are saying on the X Factor and totally gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great post. I agree, gets on your nerves, and does spoil these shows. Do these people not feel a bit silly? I couldn't imagine myself whooping like an idiot at nothing in particular.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand the noise on the X factor, it has to be completely the producers' choice to have so much noise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    51st state and all that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The audience is just one of the reasons I hate those shows- the fix factor in particular.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We know that these audiences are whipped into a frenzy by the warm up team but what sort of moron cheers when someone hits a good note on the X Factor?
  • Options
    Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, it really is off putting and ridiculous all that screaming and shouting..I often have to take an asprin afterwards.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor definitely has the worst audience of all. Why they insist on going straight to the judges critique while the audience are still whooping and hollering always baffles me. The audience only start to calm down when you get to the last judge's comment.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted - Double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X Factor definitely has the worst audience of all. Why they insist on going straight to the judges critique while the audience are still whooping and hollering always baffles me. The audience only start to calm down when you get to the last judge's comment.
    And sometimes the judges get fed up of trying to be heard about the noise.

Why someone behind the camera cant try to quieten the audience down at that point, in the same way they would have whipped them into a frenzy to begin with is beyond me
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the op.

The other thing that has appeared recently that I hate is the auto drum background thingy that seems to be an essential nowadays.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I don't notice it on other shows so much but my god, it pisses me off on the X Factor. You can't hear anything the judges are saying. I swear I heard a woman scream out "I want your babies" to Simon the other week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the contestants and Dermot commented on it last night, saying they couldnt hear what the judges were saying!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its all scripted and canned for your delight, enjoy :D
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate those morons who scream too. They even feel it's necessary to clap in the song, as heard in CiN. I was watching a performance from CiN from 1993 on Friday, and although the audience were excited, they didn't clap along.

They drive me insane and totally ruin X Factor for me, I just want to tell them to SHUT THE F**K UP!!!
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    I hate those morons who scream too. They even feel it's necessary to clap in the song, as heard in CiN. I was watching a performance from CiN from 1993 on Friday, and although the audience were excited, they didn't clap along.

They drive me insane and totally ruin X Factor for me, I just want to tell them to SHUT THE F**K UP!!![/QUOTE]

Totally, thing is you feel bad for thinking like that but after weeks and weeks of them screaming and ruining the show you just can't help it, watchin gtv shouldn't be that stressful imo :)
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the contestants and Dermot commented on it last night, saying they couldnt hear what the judges were saying!!

And all the while Simon is egging it on for his baby boy band , he encourages the yelling and squeeling from the young girls .
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    And all the while Simon is egging it on for his baby boy band , he encourages the yelling and squeeling from the young girls .

That's because they conveniently quieten down when it's his turn to speak.

To anyone that has been to a live X Factor show in recent years - does it sound as bad in the studio as it does at home?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, The Cube and X Factor are recording in the same studio (Fountain Television, Wembley) so it could be that the sound mix from ambient audience effects mics that are normally suspended from the lighting grid, aren't really changed and the bass and treble are banged right up - a trick also employed by London Weekend Television in the 80's for shows recording in Studio 1, which when the full studio audience (around 500 - 600) all laughed out, very briefly the sound went into crackle distort. Rather than get the sound director to ride the faders, it became in the industry a feature of the programmes from that studio - IIRC it was known as 'the LWT Roar'.
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X Factor audience need to be neutered.