Options

Why isn't Classic FM on Freeview?

John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,617
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Apologies if this has been covered before (found nothing in a search) but it always strikes me as strange.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Just a suggestion but it is a national FM station, so anyone who wants to listen can?

It would just be a cost to Classic with little, if any, benefit.

(I know the Beeb stations are on there but that's a different matter).
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But they're on Sky (and Virgin too?) and that must cost them money?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I'd love to SEE (;)) Classic FM on Freeview too! :D
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    It's currently not priority. Although the other "INR"s are on Freeview, Global have decided not to get a slot for Classic FM, acquiring Freeview slots for Heart and Capital instead. Possibly Classic FM would need a higher bitrate (like on DAB), which would cost more.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    But they're on Sky (and Virgin too?) and that must cost them money?:confused:

Virtually unlimited bandwidth (for radio) on Sat, as opposed to scarce availability on FV..

I would like to see GOLD on Freeview. I think that would boost ratings massively.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but it is a national FM station, so anyone who wants to listen can?

It is a national FM station, but it does not have national coverage.

Classic FM transmits at the same power from almost all of the BBC main stations and some of the relays, but a good few areas have patchy or no coverage.

I assume this is down to the cost of providing (almost) universal coverage as the BBC does compared to covering the main population centres.

In this part of the world, reception in Perth is poor, and in places like Oban, Fort William etc., non existant
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I still believe that ClassicFM on Freeview would be a bonus for everyone, a lot of people could listen through dolby systems and have a better sound and ClassicFM could catch new listeners with a epg channel on Freeview. :)
  • Options
    PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pedantic point but BBC TV and radio on satellite has nowt to do with Sky apart from the Corporation paying to be included in the EPG.
  • Options
    SobellSobell Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I have found the audio quality of digital radio stations on Freeview to be far superior to those on DAB. I have my old Sony Freeview box connected to my Hi-Fi in my den an use it exclusively for radio listening. You just have to remember the channel numbers as there is no display! I would welcome and listen to Classic FM if it was available - it would make a change from 6Music!
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »

this is not true - unless you have an outdoor FM aerial here, you cant get Classic FM.

You can get it on DAB using just an indoor radio.
    I guess quite a few people rely on the internet stream plus satellite (Sky or Freesat) as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they said it cost more to get Classic FM onto Freeview than cable or satellite. Thanks for the tips re Oban etc Sid Law! Will remember that when next booking a holiday in Scotland!