Options

rosemary...itv2...David/monkey

Comments

• Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    Ok then lets take this further. Lets just say this was a programme filmed in the North Pole. I came back to camp from a trial and someone commented that I looked like a polar bear. Would I be upset - hmmmmmmmmmmmm no. Insults can be found anywhere if your look for it.

So very true, I was a bit slow in rewinding and typing but post #62 is exactly what I heard. No malice at all, unless of course you're looking for it.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was clearly his physique not his colour that made her say that.

Yes because one of the first things you notice about monkeys is how muscular they are.
    Monkey's are 'clearly' muscular aren't they?
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    Well, in an effort to be careful, I'll be more exact

Rosemary said ( verbatim ) "Once, I saw him coming through the jungle , like this ...like this almost litle monkey" ... followed by a guffaw of laughter

I suppose it depends whether she would have said this if it was 'another' fit hunky camp mate.
    Would she have used the term 'little monkey' if it was Mark Wright for example...we'll never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    So has nobody ever called someone "a little monkey" - either because they're mischievous, funny or just plain irresistible - all of which apply to the adorable Mr. Haye.

A small child perhaps.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm puzzled at her use of the word "little".:confused:
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I can't help but think we'd all be a lot better off if we just made decisions based on what we feel is correct instead of being conditioned to make daft knee jerk reactions out of fear.

Yes I have to agree , but I live in the society who deem it unacceptable and so I abide by that .When I was a kid we used words that I now dont , as I know its not a word that is taken in the context I mean it . So I dont use it , I am aware its not acceptable , its that simple
    I dont think at all that Rosemary was racist in that context , I do think she was very silly though
  • Options
    LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    I suppose it depends whether she would have said this if it was 'another' fit hunky camp mate.
    Would she have used the term 'little monkey' if it was Mark Wright for example...we'll never know.

The chances of Mark Wright being as cute and as adorable as a monkey are pretty slim. He is a total twonk.
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    It was a bit weird was laughing up till then too, when she described him as a hunk, then said monkey :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »

As in cute maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The chances of Mark Wright being as cute and as adorable as a monkey are pretty slim. He is a total twonk.

Lol...true..I was trying to think of a male camp mate who's had a good body...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Le't recap, just so we understand what the objection here is

Rosemary recalled, that, on seeing a black man in the jungle, she thought it was a monkey

I don't really care whether she 'meant' it in a racist way or not .... it is unacceptable

Why did you twist her words?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was clearly his physique not his colour that made her say that.

yes I saw it as that too ... she sort of made a gesture with her arms too which was how body builders stand/walk which isn't dissimilar to how monkeys stand
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D that is so true ,Cute he aint
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'And David, may I tell you? I have to just say this live on television'

'I am scared, about what you're going to say'

'David is such a hunk'

'We know that'

'I am a middle aged lady, and I'll tell you, once I saw him coming through the jungle, like this, like this (holds her arms out) like a little monkey, a lovely, and he looked so fit, and I thought, you know, this is terrific, this is fabulous'

I'm sure that she didn't intentionally have any ill intent, but if that's what happened and the way that she said it, well it sounds pretty bad.:D
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »

I think you've nailed it. Term of endearment, nothing to do with his ethnicity. Now if she'd said gorilla I'd be the first one on the streets demonstrating, but "little monkey"? Come on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have to agree , but I live in the society who deem it unacceptable and so I abide by that .When I was a kid we used words that I now dont , as I know its not a word that is taken in the context I mean it . So I dont use it , I am aware its not acceptable , its that simple
    I dont think at all that Rosemary was racist in that context , I do think she was very silly though

Well said, remember Carol Thatcher and her 'golliwog' comment which saw her get sacked from the 'One Show'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not particularly PC, and sometimes think the world gone mad (I'm 43) but as I say I did rewind to hear it again as I thought I had misheard her & it was a bit of an 'ouch' moment. I think it was more an unfortunate than a racist thing, she clearly adores him.
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you twist her words?

*sigh* ... I've quoted Rosemary's exact words above

I really don't think this a matter of somantics

You can't say the sight of a black man 'coming through the jungle' puts you in mind of a monkey ... whatever words you use to describe the connotation

you just can't :(
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    uberman wrote: »
    I think she said 'with his arms out like a little monkey', not 100% sure though.

I think she said that as well. Imo in order for a comment to be racist there has to be some sort of intent there. Clearly as Rosemary was almost swooning over David there really was no intent of racism and certainly no hint of criticism.

I must admit, when I heard the comment I did flinch slightly, but when I really thought about it I could see nothing wrong with it. The problem is, the word has been used as a racist insult, particularly at football matches where bananas have also been thrown at black players. Clearly in those circumstances it is racist, but surely it has to be about intent and context as well. As a word it is a fairly harmless one, but in certain situations it can be an insult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake, this thread is pathetic in so many silly ways. Nothing she said was in any way, shape, or form racist, it was more endearing. David would be totally horrified that what she said about him was having people accuse her of rasicm. Get a grip!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh* ... I've quoted Rosemary's exact words above

I really don't think this a matter of somantics

You can't say the sight of a black man 'coming through the jungle' puts you in mind of a monkey ... whatever words you use to describe the connotation

you just can't :(

You can if the speaker is oblivious to his colour and purely talking about his gait ie the way he walks and holds himself.

I can't stand Rosemary but this was clearly her meaning.
  • Options
    LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the outcome, and however she meant it - she will not get another tv programme if this is picked up by the press. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Anyone who thinks she was being racist is a dumbass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake, this thread is pathetic in so many silly ways. Nothing she said was in any way, shape, or form racist, it was more endearing. David would be totally horrified that what she said about him was having people accuse her of rasicm. Get a grip!

Gosh...sorry I started this now. I just wanted clarification of what she said as I couldn't make it out. I knew that some would feel it was a racist reference. I don't believe it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »

have you even read the thread ? The vast majority are saying it wasnt intended as racist ,It was daft though