Options

first class stamps

spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
prob a daft question but I still have gold first class stamps are they still ok to use ?

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long the stamps just say 1st Class then they are perfectly valid to use still as.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have given up buying first class stamps as they don't guarantee a letter (or whatever) get to its destination any faster than 2nd class. I discovered this by accident when a couple of letters posted to me at 6pm one afternoon, arrived the following morning. Both had 2nd class stamps. Sometimes mail with a first class stamp will take several days.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Yes, providing the stamps are marked First Class, as opposed to having a marked monetary value, they can still be used at any future time for First Class postage.

When the cost of postage really did rocket up a few years ago, just before this happened, I purchased a large number of both First and Second Class stamps. I'm still using them today and they are perfectly legal.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the replies that is good to know as found two books of them in the kitchen drawer:D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I have given up buying first class stamps as they don't guarantee a letter (or whatever) get to its destination any faster than 2nd class. I discovered this by accident when a couple of letters posted to me at 6pm one afternoon, arrived the following morning. Both had 2nd class stamps. Sometimes mail with a first class stamp will take several days.

You're right. I have found the very same. I posted something 1st class on Monday (9am collection) to a local address in London. It still has not arrived. Yet I posted something else 2nd class on Tuesday (9am collection) again local address and it arrived the next day. :confused:

I always thought it was only at Christmas that there was no difference, but it seems to be all year round now.,
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was only at Christmas that there was no difference, but it seems to be all year round now.,

I think it's far worse down south, and particularly in London - up here the post is excellent, and almost always next day (even for second class).

I used to have to send birthday cards to my brother down south a couple of weeks in advance, and even then they were always sliced open before he received them (obviously looking for cash). We used to post them a week in advance, then we started getting stroppy phone calls about 'forgetting his birthday' :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's far worse down south, and particularly in London - up here the post is excellent, and almost always next day (even for second class).

I used to have to send birthday cards to my brother down south a couple of weeks in advance, and even then they were always sliced open before he received them (obviously looking for cash). We used to post them a week in advance, then we started getting stroppy phone calls about 'forgetting his birthday' :D

:D

You are right. I speak to people that live in Scotland and they can't understand what I mean as their postal service is excellent.

As for slicing the envelopes open. Yep, that happens very often. Always with what are obviously cards inside. As you say, they're looking for cash. Either that or they never turn up. More than likely sliced open and discarded.