Options

Hyperoptic FTTH broadband 20, 100, 1000Mbps

Comments

• Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Hyperoptic is not FTTH, its FTTP/B premises/building, not the home.

I've had Hyperoptic 1Gb for over a week now, so far so good.
    834Mb download
    880 upload
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/5179246285.png

Everything went smoothly for the installation. No problems (so far). Love it.

Hyperoptic run a fibreoptic cable into the apartment block, into their switch gear, from there is Cat 5e ethernet cables to each apartment to their own faceplate socket.

From their router I have a 10 meter Cat6 cable into a coupler connected to another 10m Cat6 cable, into a switch, 3m Cat5e cable to my PC. Speed makes no difference when PC is connected directly to the router with short cable.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »

834Mb download
    880 upload

Hyperoptic run a fibreoptic cable into the apartment block, into their switch gear, from there is Cat 5e ethernet cables to each apartment to their own faceplate socket.

From their router I have a 10 meter Cat6 cable into a coupler connected to another 10m Cat6 cable, into a switch, 3m Cat5e cable to my PC. Speed makes no difference when PC is connected directly to the router with short cable.

Very nice. I'm not jealous, no not one bit :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

834Mb download
    880 upload

I think it'll be a long time before BT gets around to providing that sort of speed to fibre broadband users. Still, 330Mbits download is still VERY fast though. That's when it gets here like.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think it'll be a long time before BT gets around to providing that sort of speed to fibre broadband users. Still, 330Mbits download is still VERY fast though. That's when it gets here like.

BT could do it today for their tiny number of FTTP customers. But we know that BT doesn't do forward thinking things like that - they'll wait for someone else to do it first. Like how they didn't offer consumer speeds above 512k-1Mbit, and business speeds above 2Mbit, until someone else showed how it's really done. Nor did they do ADSL2+ for years after someone else did it

So the FTTP that they overbuilt in the B4RN villages (you know, instead of doing it in a place that didn't already have fast broadband) will probably be first in line to get such an upgrade.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    BT could do it today for their tiny number of FTTP customers. But we know that BT doesn't do forward thinking things like that - they'll wait for someone else to do it first. Like how they didn't offer consumer speeds above 512k-1Mbit, and business speeds above 2Mbit, until someone else showed how it's really done. Nor did they do ADSL2+ for years after someone else did it

So the FTTP that they overbuilt in the B4RN villages (you know, instead of doing it in a place that didn't already have fast broadband) will probably be first in line to get such an upgrade.

Sad our Internet infrastructure is ran buy a incompetent back works thinking corporation. Hope it gets sold and broke up and maybe then we can see real change.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    You keep repeating that nonsense, but that doesn't make it true.
    BT knows exactly what it will cost today, what it will cost in 10 years, and what the demand is. They've opted for the solution that gives the best return on investment, which is what any sensible company will do. There's no point in spending billions to provide a service that most people neither want nor need, until such times as the need is there. Technology changes far to fast for that to be a wise option.

Wow you must work for bt:)

How can you seriously not see how backwards thinking your comment is. I mean take good look at other countries. You don't see them wasting time with FTTC. You don't need expert to understand that it would cost less going for full FTTH than in five years time when we move further into a digital age with streaming becoming more popular, I mean 4k just getting going two years from now 8k will be creeping up on us. Games on console are reaching 60+gb and growing in size.

You may not see any need in the extra speed however it's very ignorant to sit their and say theirs not millions of people including businesses who would use and pay more for such service right now, and in only a short time people crying out for the extra speed. Meaning BT will have spend billions yet again digging up roads when they got over done with and been set for a decade.
  • Options
    daveh75daveh75 Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Sad our Internet infrastructure is ran buy a incompetent back works thinking corporation. Hope it gets sold and broke up and maybe then we can see real change.

It amazes me people think separating/selling Openreach will automatically bring changes and improvements...
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveh75 wrote: »
    It amazes me people think separating/selling Openreach will automatically bring changes and improvements...

Given that it currently only invests in things when its parent company's retail arm thinks it can use it, then yes, it probably would. It might also help that it is free of a company that takes all the profit Openreach makes (including money from customers of all providers, not just the other arms of the BT group) and spends it on things that are totally unrelated to Openreach's network, such as sports rights or mobile networks.

The fact is that even Ofcom has woken up to the issue - and they are a regulator that isn't exactly known for being heavy handed. If they think there's something wrong with the status quo, then there probably is - hence the announcement of several changes to the way Openreach works and operates, but stopping short of full separation (remaining as a constant threat to BT if they don't buck their ideas up)

I think people need to stop being so pessimistic and assuming that all change is bad. It's a very British mindset, unfortunately, and it probably explains why we are crap at so many things. Our telecoms network is one of them - many countries and their telcos are looking to get away from the technologies BT is actively deploying today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How can you seriously not see how backwards thinking your comment is. I mean take good look at other countries. You don't see them wasting time with FTTC. You don't need expert to understand that it would cost less going for full FTTH than in five years time when we move further into a digital age with streaming becoming more popular, I mean 4k just getting going two years from now 8k will be creeping up on us. Games on console are reaching 60+gb and growing in size.

You may not see any need in the extra speed however it's very ignorant to sit their and say theirs not millions of people including businesses who would use and pay more for such service right now, and in only a short time people crying out for the extra speed. Meaning BT will have spend billions yet again digging up roads when they got over done with and been set for a decade.

I agree that more speed is needed because of games moving towards download delivery and updates. 38 and 76Mbit download speeds were quite enough when games were only being delivered in physical form, but Steam and Origin are reasons why more speed is needed. There must be loads and loads of gamers out there, and they'll be choosing the FAR faster download delivery method. So yes, more speed will be welcomed and needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't really make a difference.
    Use the Electricity board companies as an example before they went private.
    Before, the actual workers would get good money for their work.
    Now private, with more office staff than ever than actual/labour workers, almost all of the the actual workers work for close to the minimum wage while CEO's and share investors take the bulk of the money.
    Look at the Electricity companies these days the sheer amount of people complaining about them. So... might as well have just kept things as they were as overall there is no overall difference to the customer. So-called competition is literally an absolute farce.
    Either way MP's through back-handers, or CEO's/investors reap the profit - not what's best for the customer.

The best designers are labourers/workers.
    People who are good with their mouth, often not done a days graft in their life and been to university are great at sitting on their arse and so end up in the office and get promoted up and up.

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Games on console are reaching 60+gb and growing in size.
    True, true.

Star Citizen, currently in development, the biggest crowd funded "anything" project of all time, will be over 100Gb in size on release date sometime 2017 maybe 2018. A download-only PC game. Just think what size those incremental updates will be lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, true.

Star Citizen, currently in development, the biggest crowd funded "anything" project of all time, will be over 100Gb in size on release date sometime 2017 maybe 2018. A download-only PC game. Just think what size those incremental updates will be lol

If true, it goes to show that we really do need much faster broadband speeds. Even with a 330Mbit speed, 100GBs would take about 40 minutes to download. It would take about 2 hours and 55 minutes at 9.5MBs (76Mbits).
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    No, I don't. I work for a major international company that supplies equipment to many ISPs, in many countries, so I have a pretty good view of the situation, at least in W. Europe & the US.
    How can you seriously not see how backwards thinking your comment is. I mean take good look at other countries.
    Yes, do. You'll see that the UK is in the upper half of the EU countries in terms of speed and rollout, better than many others.
    You don't see them wasting time with FTTC. You don't need expert to understand that it would cost less going for full FTTH than in five years time
    Nonsense. It gets cheaper all the time, no point in wasting money installing unnecessary equipment now, when they can install it for less if and when it's required.
    when we move further into a digital age with streaming becoming more popular, I mean 4k just getting going two years from now 8k will be creeping up on us. Games on console are reaching 60+gb and growing in size.
    And very, very few people give a damn. Gamers and TV-oholics make up a very small part of UK internet users. That is clear from that fact that in areas where FTTC and FTTH is available, only about 15% of people who could have it actually sign up.
    You may not see any need in the extra speed however it's very ignorant to sit their and say theirs not millions of people including businesses who would use and pay more for such service right now
    Businesses can have it, if they're willing to pay business rates. Many expect to get it for domestic rates, though. As for "millions" of people crying out for high speed internet, the facts simply don't bear that out.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    Before, the actual workers would get good money for their work.
    You must be joking. How many electricity workers 50 years ago could afford package holidays, fancy TVs, cars? A week in Butlins was more like it.
    share investors take the bulk of the money.
    Not true either, just look at the financial reports and compare the amount paid in dividends to that paid in wages.

If a company needs to raise money for expansion, it has two choices. It can borrow money from a bank & pay interest, or it can sell shares & pay dividends. Personally I'd much rather see dividends paid to individual shareholders than see yet more money pour into bankers' bonuses.
    The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, anyone?
    Both are getting richer, although the rich do get richer faster, of course. A 10% increase means more when you have a million than when you have a fiver. We have nothing like the levels of poverty that existed in Dickensian times, although the current low inflation rate risks making things worse if it doesn't change soon.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And very, very few people give a damn. Gamers and TV-oholics make up a very small part of UK internet users. That is clear from that fact that in areas where FTTC and FTTH is available, only about 15% of people who could have it actually sign up.

It has reached 21% now and rises each quarter.

Meanwhile approx. 2.1m (45%) of Virgin Media customers now take 100Mb or more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom's annual internet speeds report was published on Thursday and contains the following estimates
    Fixed broadband take-up by headline speed (proportion of lines)
    				2014	2015
    ‘Up to’ 10Mbit/s and above	91% 	93%
    ‘Up to’ 30Mbit/s and above 	32% 	42%

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/broadband-research/nov2015/fixed-bb-speeds-nov15-report.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has reached 21% now and rises each quarter.

Meanwhile approx. 2.1m (45%) of Virgin Media customers now take 100Mb or more.

Loads of families out there will likely welcome higher speeds. It shouldn't be too long before BT makes a 330Mbits speed available to everyone on fibre connections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be joking. How many electricity workers 50 years ago could afford package holidays, fancy TVs, cars? A week in Butlins was more like it.
    Put it this way: they were getting bare minimum double what they were getting since any time after the electricity companies went private. Literally they were. Just like the local government highways pot-holers were getting minimum three times their usual council wage for laying the ducts for what is now Virgin Media's national infrastructure.

Not true either, just look at the financial reports and compare the amount paid in dividends to that paid in wages.
    Utter, utter load of bollucks. Just like how since the 1990's the younger generations (us) were told that (from so-called facts) apparently jobs after WW2 were up until we joined the EU jobs was very difficult to get. Yet every 60+ year old working class man I've known have said how they literally just walked out of their job and walk into a new job the same day, without even a CV or reference phone call to any previous employer.

If a company needs to raise money for expansion, it has two choices. It can borrow money from a bank & pay interest, or it can sell shares & pay dividends. Personally I'd much rather see dividends paid to individual shareholders than see yet more money pour into bankers' bonuses.
    You are thinking modestly and that's exactly how the world works these days ie it benefits the business minded and university educated rather than the hard/labour workers = rich get richer from the more education they achieve, not from actual experience on the job or how hard they work. Its obvious we are becoming more office based than actual skill/labour based. Before we adapted the CE legislations we were quite literally the best skill based country in all the world outside the US, the BS British Standard trademark was close to the best in the world that is now basically close to forgotten.

Both are getting richer, although the rich do get richer faster, of course. A 10% increase means more when you have a million than when you have a fiver. We have nothing like the levels of poverty that existed in Dickensian times, although the current low inflation rate risks making things worse if it doesn't change soon.
    I agree with you on this. However, our very poorest are still living very poor and with very little help to get them off their feet. We would rather use the worst example of slackers of the lowest working class than help all the other working classes become middle class. Its far easier to import labour typically from east EU than to help our own.

My point still stands though that the rich are getting richer and the poor get poorer.
    The poor have only been getting wealthier from the expansion of the EU. But since recent years we have been open to "use-and-abuse" from the newest EU members. We have some of the best benefits in the world which is being abused lately from the poorest EU countries. Those people are used to wages of 10% of our wages so when they work here they are living the dream when they can get a legit job here.
    Forget it, this can go on and on and on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be too long before BT makes a 330Mbits speed available to everyone on fibre connections.
    Well...
    Its always been the same old story in this country since Telewest/NTL first announced broadband. There was no sign what so ever of BT being interested in faster speeds over 56k dial up until the cable co's announced something new.

As much crap as Virgin Media get for their... lets say, money saving methods, if it wasn't for them we would still be on far less broadband speeds. Just think if the government had invested into the cable co's back in the 1980's and scrapped future investment into BT, we could have quite literally had the best broadband infrastructure in the world. There would have been no debt for Virgin Media they could have upgraded and expanded their infrastructure to their hearts content with no limitations from having to implement Traffic Management technology = something the shoddy NTL side brought in and not Telewest who really did have the best network at the time before merger into Virgin.

Its all down to politics, and the privileged educated university folks. Out-right clearly they had no clue what so ever even in the very slightest. Its all about spending less now to reap the most reward now, rather than invest into future proofing. This argument of it costing more money is a load of crap, that's what greedy so-called educated folks try to make us believe. F'ing clueless the lot of them. All that education and have no common sense between any of them all because they are not practical minded in the slightest. Such a farce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well...
    Its always been the same old story in this country since Telewest/NTL first announced broadband. There was no sign what so ever of BT being interested in faster speeds over 56k dial up until the cable co's announced something new.

As much crap as Virgin Media get for their... lets say, money saving methods, if it wasn't for them we would still be on far less broadband speeds. Just think if the government had invested into the cable co's back in the 1980's and scrapped future investment into BT, we could have quite literally had the best broadband infrastructure in the world. There would have been no debt for Virgin Media they could have upgraded and expanded their infrastructure to their hearts content with no limitations from having to implement Traffic Management technology = something the shoddy NTL side brought in and not Telewest who really did have the best network at the time before merger into Virgin.

Its all down to politics, and the privileged educated university folks. Out-right clearly they had no clue what so ever even in the very slightest. Its all about spending less now to reap the most reward now, rather than invest into future proofing. This argument of it costing more money is a load of crap, that's what greedy so-called educated folks try to make us believe. F'ing clueless the lot of them. All that education and have no common sense between any of them all because they are not practical minded in the slightest. Such a farce.

I completely understand why the government didn't invest in fibre optic cables back in the 1980s because the internet for homes had just started and they didn't know if it would take off or not. Investment in fibre broadband should really have happened not long after 2000 when the popularity of being connected to the internet started soaring. Investment in fibre has happened very late in the UK. About 10 years after it should have been done. Still, at least our broadband speeds are starting to get faster and faster as the years go by. We do need our speeds upped a lot though. UK YouTubers would welcome their upload speeds being upped by so many 10s of Mbits. I think 1Gbit would be okay for about 8 years, maybe more. We really do need a big increase in broadband speed though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, it appears that Pipex, the first UK ISP, started in 1990. Well, still, it's not that far off. I was thinking about the server Tim Berners-Lee had connected to the internet when making my previous post. Anyway, yeah, the government should have invested in fibre after 2000 when the number of people connected to the internet started increasing more and more very rapidly.
  • Options
    AscendAscend Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I wish my area had it. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ascend wrote: »
    I wish my area had it. :(

I think all, or nearly all, areas in Britain will eventually be fibre enabled. There must be a lot of YouTubers in Britain who would love a fibre connection because of its fast upload speed. Britain does seem to be moving, at a decent pace, towards getting as many people as possible on fibre connections now. I've just searched for how many areas are FTTC enabled over here and came across the below link. When clicking on the top checkbox, it shows that there's a TON of exchanges that are FTTC enabled. Clicking on the next one down shows that a load more are planning to be enabled within the next 3 months.

http://fttc.eclipse.net.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are rumours that Virgin are about to announce a 500/50 residential service.

Their Twitter feed confirms something new is coming: https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/status/717759556743471104

Personally I think they need to sort out the severe over-utilisation on parts of their network before rolling out these mega speeds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are rumours that Virgin are about to announce a 500/50 residential service.

Their Twitter feed confirms something new is coming: https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/status/717759556743471104

Personally I think they need to sort out the severe over-utilisation on parts of their network before rolling out these mega speeds.

Virgin always seems to be one step ahead of BT all the time. BT are sort of close to launching a 330Mbit broadband service once the trial proves to be successful. I think it's 330Mbits.