Options

Are Talk Talk as bad as the on-line reviews would indicate?

Comments

• Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TalkTalk are the worst company I have ever had to deal with. I spent over two hours on Saturday trying to get someone on their online chat or phoneline to understand why my bill was wrong.
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very happy with Talk Talk until I received an email today stating my bill would be going up from October by over 16%!! Looking at moving to Sky now.
  • Options
    Gary_LevineGary_Levine Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Went live with talk talk last week after switching from BT, and there have been no problems. Very happy with the Fibre broadband service.

Talk Talk does appear to offer better value for money than BT., Would recommend Talk Talk to anybody considering joining.

Although I do miss my BT Home Hub 5 - sadly this won't work on talk talk.
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was with Virgin Media for a year, but bills kept rising for no reason until it got to 300pm

Calling bullshit on this. £300 a month, on broadband alone....how?
    TalkTalk is speedy, I get over 120MB download speed. Virgin is 152mb so there isn't that much difference in speed either.

And calling bullshit on this, too. Barely anyone gets 100mb with Talk Talk.

Edit - Talk Talk don't even DO a broadband package as fast as you claim, the largest package they do is 76mb and even then I highly doubt you'll actually get that speed. You're living in cloud cuckoo land, mate.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went live with talk talk last week after switching from BT, and there have been no problems. Very happy with the Fibre broadband service.

Talk Talk does appear to offer better value for money than BT., Would recommend Talk Talk to anybody considering joining.

Although I do miss my BT Home Hub 5 - sadly this won't work on talk talk.

After being with TalkTalk for 11 days, I've not had any problems with their broadband service. The router hasn't lost the connection. There's time yet though. I'm a bit baffled by the upload speed though. Nowhere near 1.2MBs/s (10Mbits). Unless they don't offer a 10Mbits upload for their 38Mbit service. The highest I've seen on a speed test is 2Mbits. It doesn't really matter though, just so long as I get as close as possible to the maximum download speed.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    And calling bullshit on this, too. Barely anyone gets 100mb with Talk Talk.

No one on TalkTalk is getting 100Mbit, the absolute maximum will be less than 80. The exception is in York where they are playing with their own fibre to the home network and offering 1Gbit
    zx50 wrote: »
    After being with TalkTalk for 11 days, I've not had any problems with their broadband service. The router hasn't lost the connection. There's time yet though. I'm a bit baffled by the upload speed though. Nowhere near 1.2MBs/s (10Mbits). Unless they don't offer a 10Mbits upload for their 38Mbit service. The highest I've seen on a speed test is 2Mbits. It doesn't really matter though, just so long as I get as close as possible to the maximum download speed.

Openreach sells a 40/2 FTTC product. They have probably put you on that as every penny counts to TT, including a small decrease in rental costs from Openreach
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Openreach sells a 40/2 FTTC product. They have probably put you on that as every penny counts to TT, including a small decrease in rental costs from Openreach

I wanted to be put on the 38Mbit package because I wanted cheap broadband. Anyway, no problems. Saying this though, I've only just come out of, what they call, the 'training period'. I'll give it 6 months and see how stable the service has been. I'm a bit puzzled as to why I'm not getting 10Mbits or anywhere near it. BT also had a 38/10 service.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »

This is correct. Talktalk only offer the 40/2 or the 80/20 products.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    This is correct. Talktalk only offer the 40/2 or the 80/20 products.

It was 10Mbits when I last looked, which was so many months ago. Unless they've recently upgraded their 38Mbit broadband upload speed. So, TalkTalk's maximum upload for their 38Mbit package is 2Mbits then. As long as I'm getting as close as possible to the maximum download speed, it's fine.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I've had their fiber broadband large for two months moved and was only without the service for a week. Speed wise excellent l, torrents averge at around 8.5 meg / sec. Now tv and netflix are are instant at highest quailty avaible. However comunication with talk talk is another thing its somthing you dread to do, i can not understand word they say half the time. If they improved customer service they potential be the best provider out there but at the momment it drags them down alot. Its just not nice to be attached company you can't properly comnicate with.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been with them for 9 years, no problems. Broadband is ADSL2+, 11Mb down, 1Mb up according to the router. Beware of internet comments about anything, lots of professional trolls out there. Reputation.com, who advertise on LBC, always sound very suspicious for a start.
  • Options
    Ellis-GardenerEllis-Gardener Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Been with TT now for coming up to 3 weeks.
    I am getting the exact same 10MB DL & 1MB UL I had with BT for years,
    Service has been rock solid and no throttling as of yet (I left a few torrents running overnight to see :)
    Their email service is shocking though, I can always log-in but constantly get "cannot connect to the mail server" so their email service is as good as useless.
    Oh, and they did put the prices up 7 days after I joined, from £2.50 a month for the BB to £5 a month and also £1 on the line rental.
    It still transpires it is cheaper than what I was paying BT and the wife has Internet/Facebook/Shopping, so if she's happy, then I'm happy!
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The actual service itself is fine. Their network, i.e. backhaul, is actually one of the best there is so you should get good speeds most of the time.

It's when things go wrong that the issues become obvious. A complex fault like mine has no chance of being solved by their call centres as quite frankly the call centres no very, very little about how broadband actually works.

I wouldn't recommend them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread*
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My experience is that the internet service is a little glitch prone, but generally good. The customer service department needs to be renamed, maybe customer wind up department. If you have to call them and you have anger issues, I suggest you don't without your therapist on standby.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't complain about them at all. Been with them for years now and hardly had any line problems.

We had one a couple of weeks ago and phoned them up, within 24 hrs we had an engineer call, he replaced the box in the front room, repositioned it to make it easier for me to reach (I'm disabled) and even filled in the hole that the old box had left cos we'd just had the room plastered, so he used some left over plaster. Brilliant service
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    Can't complain about them at all. Been with them for years now and hardly had any line problems.

We had one a couple of weeks ago and phoned them up, within 24 hrs we had an engineer call, he replaced the box in the front room, repositioned it to make it easier for me to reach (I'm disabled) and even filled in the hole that the old box had left cos we'd just had the room plastered, so he used some left over plaster. Brilliant service

To be fair the person who came to your house was probably a BT employee, TalkTalk simply got them to come out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did actually log-in to update this thread (I am the OP) but I got somewhat side-tracked reading the forums.

I just wanted to say that we have had excellent service so far from TalkTalk, the Internet has been always available, speeds have been as good as we received from BT for 10 years.
    I really cannot fault them.

However, as a member pointed out earlier in the thread "You only find out how good a company is when you run in to problems" and thus far we have been lucky enough to not experience any technical faults or problems.

Thank you all once again for your input, opinions and advice. It's been invaluable!
  • Options
    OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been with Talk Talk since January 2015. My experience has been good on the whole. Lately however, there have been connectivity issues with the message "Limited Ethernet" being displayed and the Internet connection drops out. I think this could be due to various factors and not necessarily Talk Talk's area of responsibility. The Internet connection always comes back, though sometimes not for a few hours. If it gets worse I will contact Talk Talk of course to discuss this, though it is not a major problem at present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    I have been with Talk Talk since January 2015. My experience has been good on the whole. Lately however, there have been connectivity issues with the message "Limited Ethernet" being displayed and the Internet connection drops out. I think this could be due to various factors and not necessarily Talk Talk's area of responsibility. The Internet connection always comes back, though sometimes not for a few hours. If it gets worse I will contact Talk Talk of course to discuss this, though it is not a major problem at present.

If it gets worse? That should be bad enough. Losing internet connectivity for a few hours should only happen on a rare occasion when some major problem happens somewhere.
  • Options
    rcmaccrcmacc Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    As a talktalk fibre customer myself my connections always been fine, no worse than my previous BT just cheaper, one advantage after 3 months I moved house to one with no line and its cost me absolutely nothing to install except an new 18 month contract.

It didn't quite go right though, my call for the move was answered by a foreign call centre, I don't think India but South Africa??? The chap was actually a bit too friendly but my move was initiated, several emails and texts later my new line was due to be installed - happy days. So a day off work for the install and this is where it all went wrong, despite phone calls and texts from TalkTalk about my install date and even a text from Openreach no one turned up - a call to TT on the day was hopeless they had no idea what Openreach were up too, all they could advise was that Openreach may turn up until some ridiculously late hour. Sorry TalkTalk major fail here and a pissed off customer who had a wasted day off work.

After getting the ceo office involved apparently Openreach had a 'Systems Issue' and my appointment was then remade for two weeks later ffs - so after moving house no broadband for nearly a month! The ceo office did get my install expedited and the following day I had a new line strung from my house to the pole - no Fibre though only standard broadband, fibre would have to wait 2 weeks but at least my phone and adsl now worked. Two weeks later I was finally back on fibre.

To be fair to TalkTalk they did get my line sorted, its not cost me anything to move and their broadband is actually pretty decent lol.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello forum members,
    I have arrived at Digitalspy due to finding a post from an ex BT call centre employee via Google.
    I do not wish to divulge my situation with BT as I am currently seeking legal advice, suffice to say I was left with very little choice but to switch my phone-line & broadband (The OH will scream blue murder if she cannot get on Facebook or do on-line shopping, and of course it's my fault :(

I digress, I signed up to Talk Talk and my service is due to go live next week but I am starting to think maybe I have been hasty and made a mistake, on-line reviews for Talk Talk range from "poor" to "absolutely ******* useless".
    Now I am well aware that the only time people tend to review a company is to report poor service, as a juxtaposition, good service is rarely ever praised with a review.

So, are Talk Talk as bad as I have read, any members here with Talk Talk who can allay my trepidation that I have made a huge mistake!

Paul

well paul my wife has had talk talk for15 months, 3 months over the contract agreement.. within the time i have moved back in with my wife talk talk have phoned her sent her letters and cut the service,, because they cannot take the money when they feel like it, she told me it used to be on the same date every month , but of late it became 2 or 3 days earlier than the agreed date.. ok ,, but when they phoned her they are rude, and are bullies.. as my wife is disabled and needs a life line on the phone line, they do not care, they have cut her off for a lousy fiver,
    cut long story short i have set the ball rolling to change to other supplier, and they have promised never to change the date of the direct debit..
    so marks out of ten 4.. my advice on the troubles my wife has had dont bother.. even their routers are slow and internet dips constantly.. their tv box also freezes every day. total shite.. from paul.
  • Options
    ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    I dealt with talk talk in my previous workplace, incompetent does not even come close. Despite phone calls, letters, emails not once in three years did they get the name of the account correct. They billed incorrectly and in one case billed us for about £25 we did not owe, again countless phone calls, emails and letters. In the end when I was asked to call them again I said I would pay the money myself rather than have to call and deal with them again. They are horrific.
  • Options
    OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If it gets worse? That should be bad enough. Losing internet connectivity for a few hours should only happen on a rare occasion when some major problem happens somewhere.

Today it did get worse, unable to access the Internet for many hours. I rang Talk Talk who confirmed this as an unstable connection and did some tweaks which resulted in my router having a green Internet light, instead of a red one or none at all, and therefore I could connect.

I found them easy to speak to on the phone. Now to see if the connection does stay stable.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as my migration is under way, i have paid talk talk four days ago. over the phone. not the automated way. spoke to an advisor.. still getting several phone calls a day asking when i am going to pay my account.. dam bloody nuisance they are..
    roll on end of the month new supplier...