Leona - lacking personality?!?!

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with all due respect...where do you see leona getting up herself.
    Sorry, where did I say I thought Leona was up herself :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the point is Leona never seems confident, not as confident as she should be for someone with such a great voice.

And Nikitta got praise every week until ABBA week

But at the end of the day, Leona should win because she's amazing.
    I think you are getting confused. Nikitta was constantly told it was the wrong song choice for her. She only got praise the week she left.
    Leona has tried to make it in the music business for a while and hasn't got anywhere so naturally she would be questioning her ability but she has had nothing BUT praise since the show started and her confidence is building, thats not a bad thing, but it doesn't mean she's "up herself".
    At the end of the day, Leona is good but imo she is far from amazing.
  • GoodtohavemeGoodtohaveme Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    i must be getting tired....sorry i misread your earier comments. You said confidence. I was mistaken...again! time for bed i think.
  • GoodtohavemeGoodtohaveme Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I think you are getting confused. Nikitta was constantly told it was the wrong song choice for her. She only got praise the week she left.
    Leona has tried to make it in the music business for a while and hasn't got anywhere so naturally she would be questioning her ability but she has had nothing BUT praise since the show started and her confidence is building, thats not a bad thing, but it doesn't mean she's "up herself".
    i thinkthe proof of the pudding is when they get original songs to do that tey have to put there own stamp on it.

I must admit i was a big fan of Maria's but her voice didn't carry aswell on the recorded stuff and original songs, even though i really liked the single, i'm not convinced she has much more to give.
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never said she was "up herself", I do actually like Leona, she's got the talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I have to say I dont think Leona's voice is that great. People have a go at Ray for doing swing but why does Leona have to do the same routine to every song she has done so far. She walks up and down the stage like a pissed giraffe. Give her a dance/up tempo number to do then we will see if she really is a Mariah Carey or Christina Aguilera, which she and Simon Cowell obviously think she is. Sadly she is not and never will be. Brenda and Maria from last series are much better than her and have proved it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear - what a mess I started. But some funny old posts in here.

I disgree with everyone that says the X Factor is just about the voice. If you listen to Simon Cowell he says he created the X Factor as it's about the winner having the whole package and that's why he created the show. He says Shayne Ward has the X Factor (personally not my bag) but you can kind of see what he means.

Leona's confidence is growing and I hope she proves us all wrong, but she definitely needs to up the non-singing game a bit....IMO.

Is it time to start slating the MacDonaled Brothers yet? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charisma = Zero

Charisma Zeroguilera might actually be a better stage name than Leona
  • Woolleybear39Woolleybear39 Posts: 2,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapsrus wrote:
    Oh dear - what a mess I started. But some funny old posts in here.

Don't worry it's what DS is all about, healthy debate. Although on reading some posts I'm not sure about the healthy bit.
    Soapsrus wrote:
    I disgree with everyone that says the X Factor is just about the voice. If you listen to Simon Cowell he says he created the X Factor as it's about the winner having the whole package and that's why he created the show.

You're right, it is supposed to be about the whole package so personality has to come into it. Only time will tell whether Leona really has it.
    Soapsrus wrote:
    Is it time to start slating the MacDonaled Brothers yet? :D

You mean it hasn't started already? ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't seem to remember Shayne Ward having loads of charisma or personality.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but he had women of all ages throwing their metaphorical knickers at him as he was perceived to have the SeX Factor. Female contestants don't tend to generate the same kind of response from either sex. Well, maybe it still happens to KD Lang lol

Simon is rather embarassingly throwing his G String at Leona week in and week out. Do you think his mum uses Daz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I do think that everyone has to give Leona a chance and stop comparing her against much higher standards. Whitney, Mariah and Christina are not fellow contestants - they have long established careers (and each of them were mentored for a LONG time before they hit the public)!

Just as the public seems to be giving the MacDonald Brothers the benefit of the doubt and time to develop, so should they give Leona a chance.

I think she comes across very - well - dumb. But, in a way, it makes her endearing at this point - if she was all diva-esque she would have been gone a long time ago.

Anyway, as none of the contestants have the complete package, she should be given a fair shot. I, for one, would rather see someone with real talent win, versus personality. Britain has too many celebrity 'personalities' already! We need people with talent, even if its unrefined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You make a good point about celebrity personalities versus talent.

If Simon was much more restrained in his testicular praise of her, I'd be perhaps a bit more open minded about her. However, I do object to being told from Week 2, who the winner is. I equally hate how disrespectful he is of others point of view regardless of whether or not it is put on for TV. He needs his reality checked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Princeton wrote:
    I do think that everyone has to give Leona a chance and stop comparing her against much higher standards. Whitney, Mariah and Christina are not fellow contestants - they have long established careers (and each of them were mentored for a LONG time before they hit the public)!

You make a very good point but when Cowell comes out with statements like "world class" you can't help but compare her to other "world class" performers and imo she doesn't come close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    NathalieR wrote:
    I couldnt care less if she may or may not be a really likeable personality, im sure being perceived in a negative light ever stopped others getting to the top (like the mariahs and whitneys and madonnas) and i dont watch X factor to vote for the nicest person, its not Big Brother!! Its about the talent imo and on that fron she should win whether she seems boring or dull or not. Anyway there are worse things to come across as then dull or boring, not that i think she is either anyway.

Surely having the X Factor is a combination of personality/talent? Robbie Williams is not the best singer in the world but is a huge star because he has the X Factor. it is about having charisma and some sort of personality whether good or bad - to give people something to remember them by and to talk about!

By the way I am not a Robbie fan but do see why others like him.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely having the X Factor is a combination of personality/talent? Robbie Williams is not the best singer in the world but is a huge star because he has the X Factor. it is about having charisma and some sort of personality whether good or bad - to give people something to remember them by and to talk about!

By the way I am not a Robbie fan but do see why others like him.

Fair enough maybe if the contestant was a complete knobhead or a really dislikeable and arrogant person but we are talking about someone whose personality crime is to, to some, come across as slightly shy/dull which isnt the worst character trait in the world. Chris Martin always strikes me as slightly dull but it hasnt affected his record sales.
    Forum Member
    Brenda and Maria from last series are much better than her and have proved it.[/QUOTE]

I think Leona has a star quality voice. Brenda has the x factor, great singing voice and oodles of great personality. Maria on the other hand had no personality and a half decent voice but she was nothing different.

Simon does know what he is talking about - he said Brenda was more suited to the West End and that is what she is being extremely successful at.
    Forum Member
    NathalieR wrote:
    Fair enough maybe if the contestant was a complete knobhead or a really dislikeable and arrogant person but we are talking about someone whose personality crime is to, to some, come across as slightly shy/dull which isnt the worst character trait in the world. Chris Martin always strikes me as slightly dull but it hasnt affected his record sales.

I would agree about Chris Martin's personality, however, he is not a solo artist.

Soloists need to have something memorable.

I would worry how Leona would cope on her own once Simon is not there to hold her hand! The only way for artistes to have a long-standing career is to learn to write for themselves and stand up for themselves.

That is why Will Young has been so successful and Gareth Gates has fallen by the wayside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

. Maria on the other hand had no personality and a half decent voice but she was nothing different.
    Simon does know what he is talking about - he said Brenda was more suited to the West End and that is what she is being extremely successful at.
    Thats how I feel about Leona.
    Simon doesn't know what he's talking about. He backed Gareth Gates & Michelle McManus and look what happened to them.
    Will Young & Kelly Clarkson parted company with him and have been successful.
    Simon is famous for his critiques of acts, for telling the truth but he doesn't even do that anymore.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noir75 wrote:
    I don't seem to remember Shayne Ward having loads of charisma or personality.............

Who.......... :confused:
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree about Chris Martin's personality, however, he is not a solo artist.

I would worry how Leona would cope on her own once Simon is not there to hold her hand! The only way for artistes to have a long-standing career is to learn to write for themselves and stand up for themselves.

That is why Will Young has been so successful and Gareth Gates has fallen by the wayside.

Well since none of us know what Leona is really actually like its difficult to say how well she will do. She doesnt appear a bad person (from the snippets i see) so i dont see a problem with, given the right material, she cant build a successful career.

Im a fan of Lemar but what has he done as a solo artist to make himself memorable? They dont all have to be Robbie Williams types to make it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member

I think she will do just fine. Looking at her website http://www.myspace.com/leonalewis and from what she has done so far she seems to have writing talent in spades. I think there is more to her than meets the eye