Options

What to go for?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder if anyone can help me please? My daughter is 15, and I want to get her either a laptop and graphics tablet, or a tablet for Christmas. She creates manga characters, but also uses the internet. I would say her characters are her major interest. Which is the best to go for? My budget is around £350.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laptop and a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet, then see if you've enough left over to pick up a copy of Manga Studio Debut. Unfortunately a Wacom Bamboo can set you back £50+ leaving not much budget remaining for the actual laptop... There are cheaper graphics tablets out there but I've used Wacom devices for 10 years or so. I tried a different brand a few years back and it was awful so I went back to Wacom.

There are methods of inputting on tablet devices with a pen but nothing as good as a dedicated graphics tablet as an input device.

But if you had much more to spend there's always Cintiq... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I was getting worried that a tablet may be a bit restrictive and not as robust as a laptop.

I bought her a Bamboo earlier this year, but she can`t get on with the work area (it just says Bamboo Pen on the box) Do you mean this tab? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-CTH-470K-DE-Bamboo-Pen-Touch/dp/B005OPKVF0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1351509802&sr=8-16

I could run to more if I have an existing laptop refurbished, maybe £200 for the graphics tab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she already has a Bamboo then she might just have to knuckle down and get used to it :D Getting used to any graphics tablet takes some work so she might just need more time with the device. It's the easiest thing in the world to put it down and go back to using a mouse but they're worth persevering with!

After years of using the higher spec Intuos devices I went for a Wacom Bamboo Medium early last year, the equivalent latest model is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-Medium-Graphics-Tablet/dp/B005TYVSAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351516000&sr=8-2
    It gives me between A5 and A4 workspace which is fine for me and I know many other graphic artists and illustrators who use that size. The Intuos models start at about £180-£190 for just a small model and if it's the size that is an issue then that won't help. The medium Intuos devices start at about £230+.

I've tried using smaller tablets than that and, yes, they can be annoying and some precision is lost but it shouldn't stop you from using it, it's all good practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had one with a bigger work area, but when that broke I couldn`t get another.

I was thinking of getting her this mred. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aiptek-MediaTablet-Ultimate-II-Professional/dp/B005APAKIW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1TY684HXGJL24&coliid=I25HMRQ035GPV2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only use Wacom now after using a cheaper product in the past that just wasn't anywhere near as good (build quality, pressure sensitivity and resolution where all issues, even though the cheaper product promised a lot, it didn't deliver) so I personally wouldn't bother with it but it does get some good reviews outside of Amazon so might be worth a punt.

However, it looks to me that you'd get less than A5 workspace on that particular model. Dependent on the actual size of the tablet she currently has she might not see much difference...

As money is an issue, and as she already has a Bamboo tablet anyway, then I suggest you put all your money into the new laptop and she needs to get used to using her current device! :D
    Workflow from the Manga illustrators I know (well, not just Manga... most of the illustrators I know!) is that most/all of the basic illustration work is hand-drawn on paper first, then scanned in to be traced/inked and coloured on computer. Even though bigger is better in these jobs, a small Bamboo is more than capable of the digital work that goes into this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I only use Wacom now after using a cheaper product in the past that just wasn't anywhere near as good (build quality, pressure sensitivity and resolution where all issues, even though the cheaper product promised a lot, it didn't deliver) so I personally wouldn't bother with it but it does get some good reviews outside of Amazon so might be worth a punt.

However, it looks to me that you'd get less than A5 workspace on that particular model. Dependent on the actual size of the tablet she currently has she might not see much difference...

As money is an issue, and as she already has a Bamboo tablet anyway, then I suggest you put all your money into the new laptop and she needs to get used to using her current device! :D
    Workflow from the Manga illustrators I know (well, not just Manga... most of the illustrators I know!) is that most/all of the basic illustration work is hand-drawn on paper first, then scanned in to be traced/inked and coloured on computer. Even though bigger is better in these jobs, a small Bamboo is more than capable of the digital work that goes into this.

Thanks for taking so much time with your replies. She does both hand illustrations and less on the pc. I have put your suggested tablet into my wish list :)