Falling in love with someone online without actually meeting in person?

Comments

• Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Pfft. GTFO you player.

LOL Awh, I bet they wont!

Both Miss XYZ and JoeJoe are lovely and they seem legit! We should totally stalk them on their first date.

OI! HOW MANY TIME 'AVE I GOTS TO TELL YOU SHE'S MINE!?! :mad:

I'm trying to use you as bait to get him off of her scent.:D

Well it wont work! :p

I am legit, the only little fib I've ever told on here about myself was the other day, I told OhWhenTheSaints I look like Heather from Eastenders. That's not strictly true - we are both female and brunette but that's where the similarity ends. :D
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol oh shhhhhhhhh or however many H's there are - you're far too cynical!

Let the people have their love!

Besides, JoeJoe's already admitted he's a ginge, so we all know he's not exaggerating about any good looks there... *cough* You know I keed.

Oh you biatch :eek:

I'm alot my blonde ACTUALLY, i was ginger ISH as a nipper, but not so much now! :D

I posted a pic on here the other day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Er cos people tend to exaggerate how good looking they are.

And some people post pictures of themselves from 15 years ago.

And some blokes even pretend they are women.

And some people are married but say they are single.;)

Some people might, other people are genuine and tell the truth.

A lot of us have seen the photo HaloJoe posted at the weekend, it was just a normal pic, not something done to make women drool over him and think he's something he's not.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol oh shhhhhhhhh or however many H's there are - you're far too cynical!

Let the people have their love! Did you fall in love with a married man pretending to be a woman who sent you pictures of his mother from twenty years ago?

Besides, JoeJoe's already admitted he's a ginge, so we all know he's not exaggerating about any good looks there... *cough* You know I keed.

Haha...........:D

There are 5 'h', s;)
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no experience of it myself but I would be too cynical to get too attached, people can be anyone they want on line, so you don't know if you are falling for a fantasy. Some of the nastiest and dangerous abusers present themselves as charming, until they have you under their spell. I'd say to anyone be careful. Better safe than sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Some people might, other people are genuine and tell the truth.

A lot of us have seen the photo HaloJoe posted at the weekend, it was just a normal pic, not something done to make women drool over him and think he's something he's not.

So wheres your pic then?;)
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whos the horndog of an old guy slobbering all over the forum ladies with a hot name now, eh? :p

You may as well go one step further and say, "soooo... what are you wearing?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whos the horndog of an old guy slobbering all over the forum ladies with a hot name now, eh? :p

Not me lol..........I probably wouldnt believe it was the OP anyway.;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You may as well go one step further and say, "soooo... what are you wearing?"

Nothing :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I haven't posted one purely because I like the anonymity on here. My fear is someone I know seeing who I am and getting offended at something I might say, not because I have anything to hide about myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't posted one purely because I like the anonymity on here. My fear is someone I know seeing who I am and getting offended at something I might say, not because I have anything to hide about myself.

I have a feeling you're a major hottie :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Yes it is possible. happened to me, was chatting for months before meeting and id fell for that person already before meeting them. When we met i had this whole preconception of what i thought they would be and they were totally different. Had to adjust to the real person and i remember on the first date thinking i dont actually like you, your not who i thought you were, that said by the end of the night i had adjusted to them and we hit it off and i fell madly head over heels for them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same as me, thats the best way to be as well.

Some people take internet forums really seriously and I have seen some pretty bad stuff on other forums where people have given out too much information about themselves and things have been taken too far.

I enjoy talking to people on here and having a laugh but would never ever give out personal information or photos because I always think the person I am talking to, or who is reading my post could be a potential nutter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not me lol..........I probably wouldnt believe it was the OP anyway.;):D

Why wouldn't you believe it was me? Do you think I'm a man or something? The other day someone on here mentioned me adding him as a friend on facebook. I didn't because like I said to him, I have no way of knowing if he's nutter or madman. I'm beginning to think maybe I should have just so he could confirm that I am actually who I say I am!
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I fell in love with my 2nd husband after he proposed.... which was only a week and a half after we met! Id been married once before , done everything by the book courted during a 2 yr engagement, big white wedding , then he turned into an utter bastard, affairs left right and centre, debts mounting up, drinking,lazy etc etc, it was a blessed relief to be divorced from him when he ran off with another woman. But I was stay at home mother in my 30s with a young child, I didnt want to date lots of men even if i could get a babysitter and couldnt face going out by myself to be a pick up. this was pre computers facebook and internet dating etc. My block of flats had a communal garden which was overgrown and I tried to turn it into a lovely garden for everyone, one other elderly lady came out to join me and we got chatting over the weeks and after telling her how lonely I was she fixed me up on a blind date with her son. Literally 10 days into dating he asked me to marry him. He didnt want to live at home forever , he was too shy to date and had never had a girlfriend, he desperately wanted a wife and children , I wanted to get remarried and have more children before it was too late , we both fancied each other, both decent people, both willing to throw caution to the wind and give it a go, I just thought sod it I might never meet anyone half decent ever again and I hated living on my own, that was 18 years and 3 children ago and we are VERY happily married, stupid thing to do on reflection I know but so glad I did, I knew he was a kind person as on our second date he came round my house with some magazines for me and chocolate for my daughter, my 3 kids are grown up now and my eldest girl secretely loves her stepdad more than her real dad. He has been a wonderful husband and father

Perfect.

I have skyped with some before meeting, kinda like a pre-meet of you will. Video seems to do wonders, however my dates did seem to work, but I wasn't committed.

that said, you can date online. Just take precautions, and you never know it can work out.

that story above is what it's all about, that's real love right there.

I must admit i am more liberal than most, I dont have any rules as such. I can date someone if they have kids. Doesn't bother me. if they are older or younger than me by a fair bit, again doesn't bother me. love is love if it works then let it work, don;t let a daft rule get in the way.

Hope many of you find true happiness it is the best thing ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't you believe it was me? Do you think I'm a man or something? The other day someone on here mentioned me adding him as a friend on facebook. I didn't because like I said to him, I have no way of knowing if he's nutter or madman. I'm beginning to think maybe I should have just so he could confirm that I am actually who I say I am!

I think youre ok to talk to so it doesnt bother me if you are male or female.:o

Not bothered either way.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    I have a feeling you're a major hottie :p

No I'm definitely not. :o:o

To give you some idea of what I look like, during the 'Umbrella' era a lot of people kept telling me I looked like a white version of Rihanna. I couldn't see it myself but apparently they all could. A man in a pub stopped me once and asked if anyone had ever told me I look like Kelly Clarkson because he thought I looked like her. And last but not least, about 12/13 years ago one of my kids used to point at a picture of Victoria Beckham and say 'Mummy' because he thought it was me. Now those 3 women look nothing alike at all in my opinion but if you combine the 3 you might have some idea of what I look like! :eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I think it's possible, at least to get to know someone really well, become very close to them, and know you are compataible in personality/style, and hope that it will be (physical) love when you meet in person.

I am now in a lovely long distance relationship with someone I met on the phone a year ago through a wrong number call. We got to taking almost every day, and were affectionate and flirty, without ever saying anything 'false', i.e. anything that we couldn't truthfully say because we had never actually met. I did get to the point of jokingly referring to him to friends as my 'telephone boyfriend', but never without the inverted commas. I flew out to meet him 4 months in (big adventure), partly because I thought we needed to know whether this was 'for real' or not. And because he kept inviting me.

And - at least so far - it is for real. That was clear almost instantly, though there were a few hours of being a tad paralysed by embarassment.

Neither of us had lied or misprepresented ourselves. I think there are ways of telling whether someone is honest (i.e. details, consistency). And yes being able to search the net is backup, but not the main guarantee.

My opinion may of course be distorted by my good experience, though that was phone (where you can hear someone's voice) and not the internet. But I interact with lots of people by email at work and when I meet them their live personality always matches their email one.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Someone leave you, Rodge?

I've been married 15 years. But I had break ups before that, as we all do. Why do you ask?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think youre ok to talk to so it doesnt bother me if you are male or female.:o

Not bothered either way.:D

Well just for the record, I am female. I was last time I checked anyway. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'm definitely not. :o:o

To give you some idea of what I look like, during the 'Umbrella' era a lot of people kept telling me I looked like a white version of Rihanna. I couldn't see it myself but apparently they all could. A man in a pub stopped me once and asked if anyone had ever told me I look like Kelly Clarkson because he thought I looked like her. And last but not least, about 12/13 years ago one of my kids used to point at a picture of Victoria Beckham and say 'Mummy' because he thought it was me. Now those 3 women look nothing alike at all in my opinion but if you combine the 3 you might have some idea of what I look like! :eek::eek:

I have and i'm now rather horny :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I've fallen in love with the idea of a person many times but I eventually saw sense.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol everyone on here assumes I'm a man!

What's their deal eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    I have and i'm now rather horny :p

oh dear. :eek:

Christina and sweh look so much better than me, hopefully they can help you out with that. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fell in love with my 2nd husband after he proposed.... which was only a week and a half after we met! Id been married once before , done everything by the book courted during a 2 yr engagement, big white wedding , then he turned into an utter bastard, affairs left right and centre, debts mounting up, drinking,lazy etc etc, it was a blessed relief to be divorced from him when he ran off with another woman. But I was stay at home mother in my 30s with a young child, I didnt want to date lots of men even if i could get a babysitter and couldnt face going out by myself to be a pick up. this was pre computers facebook and internet dating etc. My block of flats had a communal garden which was overgrown and I tried to turn it into a lovely garden for everyone, one other elderly lady came out to join me and we got chatting over the weeks and after telling her how lonely I was she fixed me up on a blind date with her son. Literally 10 days into dating he asked me to marry him. He didnt want to live at home forever , he was too shy to date and had never had a girlfriend, he desperately wanted a wife and children , I wanted to get remarried and have more children before it was too late , we both fancied each other, both decent people, both willing to throw caution to the wind and give it a go, I just thought sod it I might never meet anyone half decent ever again and I hated living on my own, that was 18 years and 3 children ago and we are VERY happily married, stupid thing to do on reflection I know but so glad I did, I knew he was a kind person as on our second date he came round my house with some magazines for me and chocolate for my daughter, my 3 kids are grown up now and my eldest girl secretely loves her stepdad more than her real dad. He has been a wonderful husband and father

What a lovely story. Glad it all worked out for you. :)