Options

Have you ever travelled long distance?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oz was the furthest, Sarawak jungle the most remote, and 10 weeks overland in South America the longest single journey.
  • Options
    FiFi5000FiFi5000 Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Flight: London - Malaysia BUT had a stopover in Dubai with a quick walkabout then got diverted to Dhaka, Bangladesh cos of some severe weather in Malaysia and had to wait then we had to land in Singapore due to some damage or nonsense in KL, and then finally got to KL to join a queue of people screaming at the lack of info / unpleasant staff from an airline connected to a ground which a team from higbbury play at ha

Bus - 25 hours from Victoria - Bratislava ... was fun on a virtually empty coach with nice people chatting away at different service stations from somewhere in Belgium to Nuremberg to Plzen; got bad at Prague as the bus filled out with early risers and id not actually slept

Train - 26 hours +/- Hong Kong - Beijing - Did this trip twice on visa runs. Generally ok exept the loudspeaker in the compartment and was cool to arrive at Wuhan over the Yangtze river just at breakfast time

Uncomfortable long journeys also included a trip on a bus in North Luzon in the Philippones with my feet squashed behind bags of sugar and flour which meant i had massive cramp. Also, the Peru bus trip in the Andes from Arequipa which reaches 4800m and could be called the pukewagon. Yuck.

I think ive gone off travel. Slippers, a pipe and corrie for me now
    Did you actually go through customs in Dubai so that you can say that you had offically been into Dubai beyond the airport?
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six days at sea without seeing land, between Bridgetown and Funchal. I think that would be my longest single journey.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    if so, where?

DIstance - Saudi Arabia - 7 hours flight away. Wasn't too bad as I had an aisle seat and the food and entertainment was fine. My longest single journey without a break was Bucharest to Munich - 28 hours on the train, but around half of that was a sleeper from Budapest, from which I transferred as my train was attached to it. Actually, we stopped a few times for 30 mins or so, which was fine to get out and stretch your legs, go and buy an ice cream, fill your water bottle, buy a sausage and mustard. Sleeper was brand new and airconditioned and very nice. I arrived refreshed and replete, unlike the people who had sat up all night, who looked like death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    FiFi5000 wrote: »
    Did you actually go through customs in Dubai so that you can say that you had offically been into Dubai beyond the airport?

Not on that occasion, it was a KL-dubai (stop) - Uk return and i did stop for a couple of days on the outward journey for a bit of xmas shopping but on the way back just was a brief stretch of the legs then herded back on
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flight to Denver - about 10 hours. And the longest bit of driving I ever did was 15 hours, to Yorkshire from Cornwall. That major road (pretty well the only A road, I think) that goes down through the whole of Cornwall, was blocked so there was a massive diversion. It took us most of what should have been the entire time it took to get home to Yorkshire, just getting out of Cornwall.

We ended up driving pretty well 15 hours straight, just to get home. Within a mile of our house, the bridge over the Ouse was down - another lengthy diversion right through a town, to get to the next nearest crossing point. Nightmare.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gloucestershire to Perugia in Italy by car, no sleeping over. Took 36 hrs.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done

24 hour flight ( 1 hour stopover in Bangkok ) London - Sydney

In Sydney 3 days on business.

Then 14 hour flight from Sydney to Los Angeles.

In La for 2 days on business.

Then LA back to London, which would normally take 9-10 hours, but ending up taking 24 hours because of an emergency landing in Minneapolis( Heart attack on plane not technical but a bit scary as we knew the plane was turning around before any announcement was made). We were then taken to Washington DC for a new crew as they didn't have enough hours to take us back to London. We were very kindly given a free cup of coffee in Washington Dulles airport !! then back to London by 11pm and expected to be in the office the next morning after finally arriving home at 3am.

I will never do anything like this again
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Longest plane jorney would be Melbourne to Heathrow
    Longest bus Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls (and back again)
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicago to Buenos Aires. Flying over the Equator was not fun--turbulance galore of the "just shoot me now" variety.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bay of Islands - Auckland - Kuala Lumpur - London - Glasgow.

Was a complete zombie for about 4 days after that journey.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Longest flight - Heathrow to Rio De Janeiro, about 12 hours. It was ok. The turbulence going over the Equator was erm... "fun" but otherwise it was a fairly uneventful typical BA flight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    The longest flight I have done was 13 hours to the Maldives.

The longest drive was from Toronto to Winnipeg. We covered 1400 miles in 2 1/2 days.

Going back to Canada next year on a road trip. Will spend 2 weeks touring in a Winnebago. Can't wait.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Longest air travel was Manchester>Amsterdam>Minneapolis St Paul>Las Vegas ( 4 flights, 18 hours)

Longest drive was Las Vegas to Lubbock, Texas, through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas - 15 hours driving.
  • Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16 hours london-los angeles-hawaii
    7 hours london-new york
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Been to australia 20 hours flying time and 6 sat in airport for connecting flight. never again.
    drove to the south of france, that was a road trip!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    The longest non-stop flight you can get is on singapore airlines from newark to singapore, flying time 18hrs50mins. Awful, imagine taking that flight!
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rochdale to the Ukrainian city of Lviv by coach, 48 hours.
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the bottom of the road in 1972, never again.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aye to Australia, takes a good 20 odd hours!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    In 2010 I went on the Transiberian/Transmongolian railway to China. Certainly the longest journey I have taken overland, but others I met were going on to South Korea, Japan, across the Pacific by cargo ship to Canada, etc. No planes on the way out - I took the train from my home town to London, then the Eurostar to Brussels, then other trains across Euope to Moscow. I travelled across Russia, Mongolia, and China to Beijing. I also went on to Xian, from where you visit the Terracotta Army. Mongolia was another world/century/planet. I would love to go again, and see more of those countries.
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester-London-San Francisco-Hawaii 16 1/2 hours.

Blackburn-Dover-Dortmund 14 hours by coach for a U2 concert.Only for U2 would I do that trip again!