Boxing

Comments

• Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    tinman wrote: »
    It happens in heavyweight boxing,remember Lewis v Rahman

You can't compare the punches that decked Lewis to what happened to Price tonight. Lewis was decked by huge shots that caught him flush.

Thompson caught him with a short cuff of a shot and Price was knocked senseless by it. Thompson isn't even a big puncher. I was shocked that he went down from a punch like that.

I was never entirely convinced by Price because of the absolutely dire opposition he's faced and he's always looked a bit stiff and amateurish, but I didn't realise that he had virtually no chin at all.

On this evidence, Fury would demolish him and so would any top level heavyweight.

I really don't know where Price goes from here, but I can't see him going further than a European title at best. He certainly won't be winning any world titles that's for sure.

It's a shame because he's a nice guy, but a heavyweight with virtually no punch resistance is not a recipe for success. No wonder they've been feeding him stiffs for so long instead of stepping him up.
    Forum Member
    It wasn't like Thompson did anything special mind you, it was a seemingly cuffing shot, and Price went down like a sack of shite. There's always been rumours about his ability to take a shot (well not just rumours, he was prone to getting stopped in the amateurs), but seeing him on silly street from a punch like that is... alarming.

There's no way that punch would have decked a top heavyweight. Not in a million years. Even Fury would have taken that without a problem.
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Audley actually looking like a boxer for once tonight in Prizefighter. What a waste!!

Yeah, but look at the quality of the opposition he was facing. They were absolutely dreadful.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Yes, but that was a real vicious punch, here it looked like Price only got taped on the side of the head.

I can only think that there was some sort of rabbit punch effect to it as there looked nothing to it and price just folded to the ground. It was a bit of a freak of an ending to be honest and it never looked like a potential knockout blow, heavyweight or not.

It got him round the ear region, which is a sure fire way to shake your senses a bit. It's the same punch which always rocks Amir Khan's world.
    Forum Member
    It got him round the ear region, which is a sure fire way to shake your senses a bit. It's the same punch which always rocks Amir Khan's world.

That punch wouldn't have even wobbled most heavyweights and Thompson is not a big puncher.

If Price can't take a shot like that he's got nowhere to go.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying otherwise. Being compared to Amir Khan in terms of punch resistance isn't a good thing.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audley wins Prizefighter. The rest of the country stifles a yawn ..
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying otherwise. Being compared to Amir Khan in terms of punch resistance isn't a good thing.

Based on tonight's evidence, I'd say Price's chin isn't even as good as that.

It really was a nothing punch and I've never seen Khan decked by as weak a shot as that. I had heard that Price's chin wasn't great, but I didn't realise it was quite THAT bad.

It's a shame because Price is a nice guy and fights with Fury or Haye could have been very interesting. After tonight, I would give Price absolutely no chance against either of them.

What a disappointment.
    Forum Member

Audley's biggest problem has always been that he fights scared against decent opponents and freezes.

Tonight he was fighting fat journeymen and he wasn't afraid of them.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Audley's biggest problem has always been that he fights scared against decent opponents and freezes.

Tonight he was fighting fat journeymen and he wasn't afraid of them.

To be honest he looked absolutely terrified going into the first fight!

The fact that he is talking about another crack at a world title is so so wrong. Whats worse is he will probably end up getting into that level of fight again and what even more wrong is that i'll probably end up paying to watch it again despite his previous horrific efforts.

Also sad to see whats become of Herbie Hide according to todays paper. A decent boxer at one point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The fact that he is talking about another crack at a world title is so so wrong

I was thinking about this last night and I'd actually give him a shot in his very next fight. I know it sounds ridiculous and it would certainly be totally undeserved, but I think if you put him straight back in the ring with someone of World Championship quality, it would not only save us from having another 12 months of listening to his bluster about "redemption" and believing he can still win a World Title, but it would also be a quick and painful reminder that he simply is not good enough to compete at a World Championship level.

I suspect what will actually happen is that he'll carefully choose his next couple of opponents to maintain the facade that he's "redeemed himself". He'll then likely have to look at a World Title eliminator against a ranked opponent, because I doubt any promoter would want to take a chance on him repeating his performance against Haye.

Once that match happens, he'll get his arse handed to him and the cycle starts all over again ..
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about this last night and I'd actually give him a shot in his very next fight. I know it sounds ridiculous and it would certainly be totally undeserved, but I think if you put him straight back in the ring with someone of World Championship quality, it would not only save us from having another 12 months of listening to his bluster about "redemption" and believing he can still win a World Title, but it would also be a quick and painful reminder that he simply is not good enough to compete at a World Championship level.

I suspect what will actually happen is that he'll carefully choose his next couple of opponents to maintain the facade that he's "redeemed himself". He'll then likely have to look at a World Title eliminator against a ranked opponent, because I doubt any promoter would want to take a chance on him repeating his performance against Haye.

Once that match happens, he'll get his arse handed to him and the cycle starts all over again ..

There is a certain merit to what you are saying, although it would be wrong as you say.

Audley has become a caricature of the caricature of himself now and its quite interesting to see how deep he can go into the "I know i was shit and i know i was shit the last time i said that i knew that i was shit but now that ive realised that i was shit then and shit before that, i'm actually now quite good" routine.

There is a certain entertainment to be had fom that. I picture him in his mid-60s announcing that he has finally realised why he was crap for all these years and he is really still a contender!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    There is a certain entertainment to be had fom that. I picture him in his mid-60s announcing that he has finally realised why he was crap for all these years and he is really still a contender!

He'll be taking on the other residents in the retirement home for a shot at redemption and the OAPBC belt :D
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly right.

It's panning out as I said it would.

Next stop is a title fight of some description; then more abject failure & more delusion; mark my words.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    It happens in heavyweight boxing,remember Lewis v Rahman

Both fights were ended with vicious one shot KOs ironically.:eek:
  • stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    I do actually like Audley as a guy, comes across as genuine nice guy, just wish someone would tell him that he will never ever make it at world level.

As for David Price, lets hope he never takes a harder punch than he did last night!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next stop is a title fight of some description; then more abject failure & more delusion; mark my words.

The International Boxing Council's Heavyweight belt is currently vacant, so he might stand a chance ..
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Tyson 'My Big Fat' Fury hasn't been in the media as well, did he collapse as well?
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,849
    Forum Member
    Based on tonight's evidence, I'd say Price's chin isn't even as good as that.

It really was a nothing punch and I've never seen Khan decked by as weak a shot as that. I had heard that Price's chin wasn't great, but I didn't realise it was quite THAT bad.

It's a shame because Price is a nice guy and fights with Fury or Haye could have been very interesting. After tonight, I would give Price absolutely no chance against either of them.

What a disappointment.

I agree with what you say but whats your take that it might have been the punch to the stomach just before the punch to the head that really did the damage?

I didn't hear or see what Price had to say afterwards so don't know what he blamed it on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well ive got to say i'm genuinely surprised at David Price a guy i thought he wasn't gonna beat Wladimir but give him a good showing and test the big guy but to get knocked out by a bloke that Wlad beat so easily last year just shows the astronomical level there is in the Heavyweight division!

As for Fraudley no real surprise that he won prizefighter as someone has already said he's good at beating the fat journeymen but when it comes to the real deal he chokes and it and honestly if he's in the title picture yet again well then that's another nail in the Heavyweight division's coffin! :sleep:
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I agree with what you say but whats your take that it might have been the punch to the stomach just before the punch to the head that really did the damage?

I didn't hear or see what Price had to say afterwards so don't know what he blamed it on.

I've never seen a fighter wobbling about all over the place like that from a body punch. His legs were absolute jelly when he finally managed to get up.

Price himself says it was the head shot.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There really is no competiton out there for the brothers at the top, so to me at the moment that particular division is dead, there is a lot more talent in the other divisions.

I know that the heavyweight division, is supposed to be the main event, and the one that people outside the boxing world look towards first and foremost, but the level of talent there is just not up to scratch.

If Audley ever gets a shot at either brother, then they should really just shut down that division altogether, that is how bad it would be.
    Forum Member
    Well ive got to say i'm genuinely surprised at David Price a guy i thought he wasn't gonna beat Wladimir but give him a good showing and test the big guy but to get knocked out by a bloke that Wlad beat so easily last year just shows the astronomical level there is in the Heavyweight division!

As for Fraudley no real surprise that he won prizefighter as someone has already said he's good at beating the fat journeymen but when it comes to the real deal he chokes and it and honestly if he's in the title picture yet again well then that's another nail in the Heavyweight division's coffin! :sleep:

Price has been completely exposed unfortunately and it's difficult to see where he goes from here. The first time he fights anyone remotely credible and he gets knocked out in the second round against a non puncher.

Apart from anything else, it's badly damaged his reputation and people won't be afraid of him now.

It just goes to show how utterly dire his previous opponents were really. And to think that some people (not me) were talking about him beating one of the Klits!
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,849
    Forum Member
    I've never seen a fighter wobbling about all over the place like that from a body punch. His legs were absolute jelly when he finally managed to get up.

Price himself says it was the head shot.

Frank Bruno had a guy wriggling all around on the floor didn't he after a big body punch back in the day? Jumbo Cummings?
    Forum Member
    There really is no competiton out there for the brothers at the top, so to me at the moment that particular division is dead, there is a lot more talent in the other divisions.

I know that the heavyweight division, is supposed to be the main event, and the one that people outside the boxing world look towards first and foremost, but the level of talent there is just not up to scratch.

If Audley ever gets a shot at either brother, then they should really just shut down that division altogether, that is how bad it would be.

I agree.

The heavyweight division is dire. It's by far the worst it has ever been in my lifetime. We desperately need another fighter like Tyson to bring it back to life like he did in the 80s.

What's really worrying is the lack of black American heavyweights. They've dominated the division for decades, but now there are virtually none and those that are coming up through the ranks in America look very ordinary.

If someone had told me 10 or 20 years ago that there would come a time when there were no good black US heavyweights I'd have said they were crazy.