Options

Why does Milliband not commit Referendum; Monachy or Republic?

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That would be progressive and move things on.

Comments

• Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Zimmie wrote: »

That would be a very divisive policy because those who love the royal family will not vote to elect a government that would put their position in jeopardy. Politicians only state popular policies that sound good to the people.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Committing to something involves actually making a decision. However it is worth noting that pretty much every poll on the subject has come down on the side of keeping the monarchy - in which case what is in it for Milliband.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I'm a republican, but I'm not in favour of single issue parties. Unless it was part of a whole set of reforms to modernise the state I wouldn't be interested.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was the last time Ed Milliband committed to anything? The guy will say anything if it will help him get votes. Just look at all the things he's promised to do with the "tax on bankers bonuses" He just goes from one bandwagon to the next, making a commitment to do something then abandoning it when something else comes along.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member

No it wouldn't, because you're implying republics may be inherently more progressive than constitutional monarchies, which they aren't.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    Because, even as a republican, it's not an issue that should be high up the agenda.

And the result is a foregone conclusion - we would remain a monarchy. And it wouldn't be close
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Because he is smart enough to realise that it is not an issue which affects the way most people would vote.

You can look at any number of polls saying that x no of people support a Republic, but to any politician seeking election a more relevant question is, 'What are the top 3 most important issues that affect who you vote for?' Ditching the monarchy never even comes close to being mentioned in the top answers to that. From an electoral point of view it's a classic lose-lose policy, all it can really achieve is to piss people who disagree with you off and it is unlikely in itself to make people change their votes to you.
  • Options
    year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    The usual reason ..............Lord milliband sounds more impressive
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You don't really have much of a grasp of our history and our Parliamentary system do you?
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The truth is that most people don't care either way about the monarchy.

My own opinion is that the money saved from not having a monarchy would never be filtered down to the common man. It will be snaffled up by the trough-feeders in Westminster.

There is also the fact that the idea of either a President Cameron or President Milliband makes me want to vomit.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

My own opinion is that the money saved from not having a monarchy would never be filtered down to the common man. It will be snaffled up by the trough-feeders in Westminster.

There is also the fact that the idea of either a President Cameron or President Milliband makes me want to vomit.

the main reason to have a monarchy, more than the financial benefits, to me, is that it stops the PM being president.

Imagine president Blair. every week the PM has to go and see the queen and account for himself in his handling of her country. i think this provides the PM with an important sense of perspective.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

when you say progressive. do you just mean that we currently have a monarchy, so not having one would be progressive?
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    When was the last time Ed Milliband committed to anything? The guy will say anything if it will help him get votes. Just look at all the things he's promised to do with the "tax on bankers bonuses" He just goes from one bandwagon to the next, making a commitment to do something then abandoning it when something else comes along.

agree.....Ed Milliband blows with the wind on much less issues....i doubt he will make a stand against something he believes in if it will cost him votes.....something Tony Benn never did...whether you agreed with Tony Benn on not he had ideals something todays politician with soundbites and opinion polls sadly lack....
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would we elect a President Cameron or Miliband? If we went for a model similar to the Irish one, they wouldn't even be interested in going for the job; it would be constitutional. I doubt people here are inherently more incompetent in choosing their Heads of State than the Irish, who have historically chosen well-loved and respected folk. Anyway, I broadly agree with what others have said - the monarchy is indefensible, but there are other 'vote winners' which the politicians will espouse.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Why is that? Do you just not like the title "President"?

Though if we followed the Irish model, neither of those choices would be likely. We could have a "ceremonial" President with limited powers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it wouldn't, because you're implying republics may be inherently more progressive than constitutional monarchies, which they aren't.

Getting rid of titles, and the idea that we should bow or curtsey to our head of state and their family instead of electing them democratically, seems pretty progressive.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    the main reason to have a monarchy, more than the financial benefits, to me, is that it stops the PM being president.

Imagine president Blair. every week the PM has to go and see the queen and account for himself in his handling of her country. i think this provides the PM with an important sense of perspective.

The British PM has become more presidential in recent decades - e.g. Thatcher and Blair.

At present the PM has powers invested in him by the Head of State, the Queen, such as to declare war without parliamentary approval.

This is undemocratic - an unelected head of state should not have powers to dish out important responsibilities like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why is that? Do you just not like the title "President"?

Though if we followed the Irish model, neither of those choices would be likely. We could have a "ceremonial" President with limited powers.

What is the point of abolishing the monarchy to replace it with a ceremonial President?

My problem is not the term President but the people who would be called it. Neither Cameron or Milliband has had a political thought that hasn't been rigourously focus-tested to banality. Everything they do is with the idea of vote winning not what is best for us.

I would rather have Charles as my king than those snake-oil salesman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is the point of abolishing the monarchy to replace it with a ceremonial President?.
    A President would be democratically elected instead of being Head of State merely through an accident of birth.
    My problem is not the term President but the people who would be called it. Neither Cameron or Milliband has had a political thought that hasn't been rigourously focus-tested to banality. Everything they do is with the idea of vote winning not what is best for us.
    Sounds as though you would also object to them being called Prime Minister! Your quarrel seems to be with two particular people, rather than the post they might fill, or be filled by others who you might be OK with.
    I would rather have Charles as my king than those snake-oil salesman.
    Why? He would have no actual power.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All MPs and Head of State should be chosen every 5 years at random from the electoral roll; one person to represent every 10,000 and political parties should be outlawed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All MPs and Head of State should be chosen every 5 years at random from the electoral roll; one person to represent every 10,000 and political parties should be outlawed.

You'd never fit all the MPs into Parliament at that rate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    A President would be democratically elected instead of being Head of State merely through an accident of birth.

Sounds as though you would also object to them being called Prime Minister! Your quarrel seems to be with two particular people, rather than the post they might fill, or be filled by others who you might be OK with.

Why? He would have no actual power.

I am not pro-Monarchist. I wouldn't care if they disappeared.

My problem is with what would replace them and especially the caliber of the people who would replace them. You only have to look at the people of the front benches of our political parties to see this.

I worked with a wise, elder, man who called them collaborators who would have been shot during the war. They are more interested in their friends in high places and their future careers than the lives of the common man - a few honourable exceptions apart - and they are not the type of people I would want to be our leaders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not pro-Monarchist. I wouldn't care if they disappeared.

My problem is with what would replace them and especially the caliber of the people who would replace them. You only have to look at the people of the front benches of our political parties to see this.

I worked with a wise, elder, man who called them collaborators who would have been shot during the war. They are more interested in their friends in high places and their future careers than the lives of the common man - a few honourable exceptions apart - and they are not the type of people I would want to be our leaders.

Ireland has had Presidents who were widely respected. It could be a completely non-political post.
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the Lords should operate that way.....done similar to the Jury system....but that you can opt in or not......Only a hundred members though to cut down costs.....

MPs there should be a reduced number and representing an equal number of the public each (for the sake of being democratic)....I would say 400 is more than enough.....but i would add to this that the Mps are able to vote into what they see fit without a whip......this again would add to being more democratic.....

The Lords (which would be renamed the Public 100.....couldnt change laws they would just give and indication in what they wanted......but maybe even with most people having access to the internet peoples opinions could be made there with everyone getting a vote on every issues and then its up to parliment if they want to go with the views or not but at least then the pubics view is known.....
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opinion polls show the majority (by a long way) aren't interested in one.