Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still pissed they got rid of The paradise to be honest

Not to mention Ripper Street >:(
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I too was less than impressed by the axing of The Paradise
    Even if it was really only a pale imitation of Mr Selfridge

Wonder if Crimson Field had been on itv it would have had the toothsome Olivia as it's leading lady

As many posters have said itv network centre aren't totally innocent when it comes to ditching stuff either
    I can recall them shelving a Paul Nicholls series but POSSIBLY A SINGLE PLAY about a brother and sister who ran a pottery in Stoke on Trent
    I can't remember if it ever got transmitted ?
    And there were at least two occasions that serials were pulled after only two episodes being shown never to be seen again (at least not in Primetime )
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Not to mention Ripper Street >:(

but it's coming back anyway so no loss there for fans
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Even if it was really only a pale imitation of Mr Selfridge

Wonder if Crimson Field had been on itv it would have had the toothsome Olivia as it's leading lady

As many posters have said itv network centre aren't totally innocent when it comes to ditching stuff either
    I can recall them shelving a Paul Nicholls series but POSSIBLY A SINGLE PLAY about a brother and sister who ran a pottery in Stoke on Trent
    I can't remember if it ever got transmitted ?
    And there were at least two occasions that serials were pulled after only two episodes being shown never to be seen again (at least not in Primetime )

Mr selfridge didn't do it for me
    I thought The paradise was better. Better acting, not so slow pace and better storylines.

Fingers crossed they don't axe The Village

I hope BBC have more period dramas in the works then. I am very fond of them. We need another show along the lines of the paradise or perhaps even lark rise, which i recently started watching and am hugely fond of.

Just as long as they are not along the lines of the awful remake of Upstairs downstairs
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    That`d be Danny Cohen, Chief Idiot.

It might help if they actually commissioned some decent original adult drama, instead of all this stylized, clunky drivel like this and, The Musketeers, and Call the Midwife. Dreadful dramas. I wish we had good writers for TV who could produce something other than bland soap opera, and glossy Americanized stuff. I long for drama in the vein of 'House of Cards' 'Pennies from Heaven' 'Talking Heads' 'The Green Man' 'Fortunes of War' 'The jewel in the Crown' 'Edge of Darkness' etc etc. Drama is so stagnant these days no risks being taken, and alas, i think it will stay that way.:(
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=little-monster;73096974

Fingers crossed they don't axe The Village

I hope BBC have more period dramas in the works then.
    Just as long as they are not along the lines of the awful remake of Upstairs downstairs[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the edit
    Totally with you re The Village but as I noted on the points of view thread sadly when any praise is heaped on ANY SHOW Especially when the dreaded question .....IS IT COMING BACK is asked and we are told NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE you may as well kiss it goodbye

Because as sure as night follows day and Danny Cohen praises The Voice that's what happens 😢
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Period Drama' has become synonymous with fluffy, or stylized drivel. It's easier to pull in viewers if you offer period escapism, however, it's no excuse for bad acting and writing. The BBC used to be the masters of period Drama 20/ 30 years ago, when it was skillfully, and thoughtfully deployed, but now its just a cynical way of getting viewers interest, a few old fashioned frocks and everyone's won over.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it was really only a pale imitation of Mr Selfridge .....

It was not a 'pale imitation', they originated separately though I think the BBC were first with the idea. When the BBC heard that ITV had their own programme coming they showed it earlier than originally planned so it was on first.
    Forum Member
    'Period Drama' has become synonymous with fluffy, or stylized drivel. It's easier to pull in viewers if you offer period escapism, however, it's no excuse for bad acting and writing. The BBC used to be the masters of period Drama 20/ 30 years ago, when it was skillfully, and thoughtfully deployed, but now its just a cynical way of getting viewers interest, a few old fashioned frocks and everyone's won over.

They weren't just good at period stuff
    Look at Play for today and The Wednesday Play to name but two of their drama strands which kicked off the careers of many top playwrights
    GO ON DANNY STICK SOME OF THOSE ON BBC FOUR 😄
    and so what if they aren't in colour (another common excuse for not showing stuff believe it or not )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They weren't just good at period stuff
    Look at Play for today and The Wednesday Play to name but two of their drama strands which kicked off the careers of many top playwrights
    GO ON DANNY STICK SOME OF THOSE ON BBC FOUR 😄
    and so what if they aren't in colour (another common excuse for not showing stuff believe it or not )

That's just awful. They should repeat more of those Play for Today's. Saw one on youtube, called 'Scmoedipus' by Dennis Potter, starring a young Tim Curry. It was amazing, about the veneer of suburban life, and the dark fantasies of a woman who gave up her baby son years before. It was visceral, thought provoking, and devastating. Those are not adjectives i associate with most of today's drama.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might help if they actually commissioned some decent original adult drama, instead of all this stylized, clunky drivel like this and, The Musketeers, and Call the Midwife. Dreadful dramas. I wish we had good writers for TV who could produce something other than bland soap opera, and glossy Americanized stuff. I long for drama in the vein of 'House of Cards' 'Pennies from Heaven' 'Talking Heads' 'The Green Man' 'Fortunes of War' 'The jewel in the Crown' 'Edge of Darkness' etc etc. Drama is so stagnant these days no risks being taken, and alas, i think it will stay that way.:(

I'd recommend Happy Valley. Best drama I've seen this year.
    Forum Member
    That's just awful. They should repeat more of those Play for Today's. Saw one on youtube, called 'Scmoedipus' by Dennis Potter, starring a young Tim Curry. It was amazing, about the veneer of suburban life, and the dark fantasies of a woman who gave up her baby son years before. It was visceral, thought provoking, and devastating. Those are not adjectives i associate with most of today's drama.

That was one of the plays I actually had in mind !
    The name had just escaped me
    These works of art (for I think they were) were raw powerful and truthful
    For example ..Two of them banned at the time on tv Scum and Brimstone and Treacle (Potter again)became very successful feature films

I've no doubt the PC brigade would have problems with some of them but they DEMAND and DESERVE to be seen again
    So come on Aunty how about it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was one of the plays I actually had in mind !
    The name had just escaped me
    These works of art (for I think they were) were raw powerful and truthful
    For example ..Two of them banned at the time on tv Scum and Brimstone and Treacle (Potter again)became very successful feature films

I've no doubt the PC brigade would have problems with some of them but they DEMAND and DESERVE to be seen again
    So come on Aunty how about it ?

I agree, they are works of art. 'Abigail's Party' 'Double Dare' another Potter, and 'Blue Remembered Hills' 'Sunset on the Bay' Alan Bennett. These are dramas that have something to SAY about people.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lindenlea wrote: »
    I'd recommend Happy Valley. Best drama I've seen this year.
    Same here, plus Line of Duty, The Fall .........

Funny how these excellent dramas (and others) seem to be conveniently forgotten
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Same here, plus Line of Duty, The Fall .........

Funny how these excellent dramas (and others) seem to be conveniently forgotten

I don't think they've been forgotten - you cannot open a newspaper or a magazine these days without coming across an article declaring how great Happy Valley and Line of Duty are - and rightly so! But surely there is room for all kinds of drama - whether it's gritty crime or period drama.

The ratings for The Crimson Field - not to mention the many fans complaining about the axe on Twitter and several other outlets - clearly show that the audience responded to this drama and would love to see more of these characters and this drama.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been nice to see an original WW1 drama this year. Rather than a midwife rip-off. Still, the first world war lasted four years so there's still time.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they've been forgotten - you cannot open a newspaper or a magazine these days without coming across an article declaring how great Happy Valley and Line of Duty are - and rightly so! But surely there is room for all kinds of drama - whether it's gritty crime or period drama.
    Oh I agree, but some posters elsewhere on DS seem to have forgotten them! And yes, there should be (and is) room for all types of drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, they are works of art. 'Abigail's Party' 'Double Dare' another Potter, and 'Blue Remembered Hills' 'Sunset on the Bay' Alan Bennett. These are dramas that have something to SAY about people.

There is a good comment about Jamaica Inn in the latest Prospero. Years ago when all these award winning dramas were made in house you would see at the end, the name of one director and one producer. Now things are outsourced to independent companies which resulted in Jamaica Inn having one director, two producers, six executive producers and an editor!
  • J-ZeeJ-Zee Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    Sorry but I thought this was total rubbish. Hackneyed, soapy and clearly plagiarised other shows. The right decision.

Me too, I had high hopes to be honest but it was brab drivel
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it, but it wasn't authentic. Week after week the nurses' clean, starched uniforms looked peculiar and out of place.
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently the writer of the Crimson Field was also the writer responsible for the absolutely dire adaptation of Great Expectations a few years ago. Totally awful stuff (although I think that might have had something to do with poor casting and direction as much as the terrible writing).

I agree the BBC has lost its way with period drama (and drama generally). I don't know - perhaps we don't have the talent in this country. (Funnily enough, I think the Americans have done a great job with Penny Dreadful - wry, ironic and really engaging). I think this is because they treat everything as a soap opera.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised and sorry as this was good and so many loose ends. Some great acting too, I wonder what the reason was
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    They are remaking Testament of Youth at the moment so we will still be getting WW1 drama. Hardly original though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    Loved it, but it wasn't authentic. Week after week the nurses' clean, starched uniforms looked peculiar and out of place.

I would not be surprised if that was one thing that the matron of even a field hospital was strict about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    Apparently the writer of the Crimson Field was also the writer responsible for the absolutely dire adaptation of Great Expectations a few years ago. Totally awful stuff (although I think that might have had something to do with poor casting and direction as much as the terrible writing).

I agree the BBC has lost its way with period drama (and drama generally). I don't know - perhaps we don't have the talent in this country. (Funnily enough, I think the Americans have done a great job with Penny Dreadful - wry, ironic and really engaging). I think this is because they treat everything as a soap opera.

Agreed. Whenever this topic is debated on here you get people saying 'You're looking through rose tinted specs' well, no, I am too young to remember most of those 70s/ 80s dramas, but when | watch them it's not difficult to notice that the writing, and production values were superior in general to those of today. But most of all the subject matters are diverse, and they touch on ideas that challenge the viewer. Intelligent drama was not something considered 'high brow' but drama did not patronize the viewer either. Yes, there is always good and bad stuff produced in every decade, but the balance has tipped imo in the direction of the bad. Whereas in the past the BBC was committed to top notch drama, some of it seminal, now it seems committed to just viewing figures at the cost of quality.