Options

Why did you pick your current phone?

Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
Forum Member
I am not intending a flame war here. But I think its always interesting to know the reasons pick a particular device.

For me my so called "daily driver" is iPhone 5S. The compact nature of the device is really what sold it to me and its predecessor. I was rather late to the party with iPhone, I have come to appreciate why it is so popular. For me it did everything an Android handset did but I suppose with a bit more polish and gloss. I didn't and still havent fallen in love with iPhone, hence why I own several handsets. I like the relative simplicity of the device, one doesn't have to jump through a load of hoops to share a picture. The camera is good in daylight, I do feel is does lack somewhat in lowlight situations even with the larger pixel density. But again its the compact nature of the device, slips in my pocket with an ultra thing case and I don'y even realise its there. It is by no means the best handset on the market, if I am honest it shares that title with several other flagships.

My second phone is a Moto G, I got this as well I wanted a handset that would provide with me with quick at a glance information from the home screen. I have several widgets enabled and I really think Google Now is the dogs bollards purely because it pees and poos over anything Apple or Microsoft can come up with. All of my online services are with Google from email to contacts. I flash my Moto G admittedly to GPE variant, as I perfer stock android. The beauty with this handset is the battery life. It has a better pixel density than the iPhone 5s and also a larger battery in a phone which isn't that much bigger. As its a second phone I usually get several days usage out of it.

Finally I have a Lumia 1020.......This is simply for photos, nothing else. I have a decent data plan attached to it which allows me to upload photos and what not. Screen is OK could have been a bit bigger or could have reduced the bezel size. Battery life is so so, generally if I just disable data or mobile connection the phone will last the day for photos.

So if you own just the one why did you pick it?

If you own more why have so many? (makes me sound like a right hypocrite I know)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I was missing the freedom and some other things of Android phones and the power button on my iPhone 5 went. Apple took it to be fixed and it's still not sorted after 3 weeks.

So I choose to get a Samsung Galaxy S5 and love it. I wanted a 4G Android phone on Three and Samsung was my first choice.

Once the iPhone 5 is back I'll decide whether to sell it or keep it for iTunes and a couple of other reasons.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I've tried many phones from iphones to Galaxy's and last year decided to try a Nexus 4.

Instantly i loved the true Android experience without all the crap of the day installed i would never use! When the Nexus 5 came out i upgraded to that and love it! It has it's things I'm not keen on like the video camera. While the video is brilliant, the sound is horrific!!

Unless apple come up with something really special and change the vile look of iOS, i doubt i will ever go back to them. Samsung, while i love their telly's and have just bought a Samsung Gear Live watch, I'm just not keen on anything they are offering for now phone wise.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in January I needed a phone on contract for under £30 pcm as I claim up to £30 pcm back from work. I wanted it on three for the unlimited data, I wanted it big as its used mainly for email and data input but still fit in my pocket. I ended up with a Galaxy S4, it pretty much chose it self
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    HTC One, bought just before last Christmas.
    I had narrowed it down to a choice beween it and a Galaxy 4. I went for the HTC because it was rated the best all rounder on the market at the time.
    So far it has been brilliant and faultless, ( touch wood) though as with the iphone I can see the not so easily replaceable battery being a problem sometime further down the line.
    I love it and would be lost without it.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Nexus 5 to assist with temporary 4g broadband when I moved house and didn't have fixed line bb.

Its ok, but I wouldnt classify it as a good phone.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nokia Lumia 520 because of a TalkTalk offer that seemed simply too good to refuse.

Knowing next to nothing about smart phones I fondly imagined that having Microsoft Office on it would be useful in some way - it isn't, in fact it's unusable.

I won't have another Windows phone and really regret not getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 Mini, although to be honest, I think a Blackberry would have suited me better. I've no interest whatsoever in accessing video or websites on such a small screen and I hate using an on-screen, virtual keyboard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive got s3
    i chose it because it was free and isn't made by apple
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my phones is a 5" Dapeng.
    It was under £100 18 months ago and even came with a spare battery.

The battery is large so its like having 4 batteries. And with the GPS tracking turned on I can get 24 hours battery life, that doubling to 48 by carrying the spare battery. (battery lasts a week for very light use with GPS off). As such it is the ideal weekend phone.

I bought it for a set purpose and it very much excels there. One thought though, is that with the smartphone morphing for many into their 'do it all' device, 5 inches may be far too small.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus 5, top end phone for £240.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Nexus 5. Upgraded from Nexus 4 so I could pass the 4 on to my daughter as her first smartphone (at least that's what I told myself:blush:).

The 5 is a great handset; fast and smooth with a great screen. Pure Android so updates are prompt and there's no annoying operator bloatware to get in the way.

It's not perfect - the camera struggles in low light - but if you want decent photos, use a proper camera. I considered an iphone as all my other kit is apple but I really couldn't see what I was getting for a couple of hundred quid more, especially with the tiny screen. For the money, I find the Nexus 5 represents excellent value.
  • Options
    garroshgarrosh Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I have a few phones but my daily driver is my iphone 5s mainly because it does everything i want from a phone, and its even better when jailbroken, I even run xbmc with a tv adapter and use it for streaming on the tv

my second phone is my jolla 16gb, it was my daily driver until a few months ago, i found certain things when not able to be done on it like i could do with my 5s like be at a bus stop and pull up a pdf of a time table or 4g connection also the development is kinda slow, but as update are pushed out the phone is getting better and better it will not be long until its up with the big boys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bit OT but what is this 'daily driver' term? Do you mean the one you use the most often?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumia 1520, big full HD screen, 3.4Ah battery, 32 GB internal memory, SD slot, not Android, not iPhone, looks nice, too.
  • Options
    garroshgarrosh Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Bit OT but what is this 'daily driver' term? Do you mean the one you use the most often?

Daily driver is the phone you are using the most every day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    garrosh wrote: »

OK cheers. I'm not one of the cool kids. :cry: Another Americanism, I suppose?
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your not alone, I've never heard of it either :)
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

Got nothing to do with being cool, if I'm honest. I think thats why I put it in quotation marks. Its not a term I am fond of either (even though I used it), but it seems to be often used amongst the twitterati and what note (oh yes and that word is definitely an americanism and over the top :p).
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    HTC One, bought just before last Christmas.
    I had narrowed it down to a choice beween it and a Galaxy 4. I went for the HTC because it was rated the best all rounder on the market at the time.
    So far it has been brilliant and faultless, ( touch wood) though as with the iphone I can see the not so easily replaceable battery being a problem sometime further down the line.
    I love it and would be lost without it.

I agree completely with this. The last time I had a phone so reliable (in nine months I've had one occasion when it "crashed") and just worked was my Nokia 3210 back in the 90s.

HTC have provided 3 upgrades so far (4.4.4 is due soon. with Android L later in the year)

If you are a photographer then you might want to look elsewhere but otherwise I think its still one of the best handsets out there.

I wouldn't want to be without it and will hang onto mine for as long as I can.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Screen size - I changed my HTC One X for a Galaxy Note 2 - I use my phone as a book reader and the occasional bit of iPlayer and Sky Go.

I waited until the Note 3 came out and the price of the Note 2 dropped as I'm not fussed about having the latest model.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    I have 2 phones that currently get daily use, my 5s (work sim) for compact size, music player abilities, car radio connectivity and for calls and then my Note 2 LTE (personal sim) for screen size for streaming TV/video, ebooks, browsing and email.

I also like the idea of having an iOS and an Android handset, so best of both when it comes to apps.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Finally I have a Lumia 1020.......This is simply for photos, nothing else. I have a decent data plan attached to it which allows me to upload photos and what not. Screen is OK could have been a bit bigger or could have reduced the bezel size. Battery life is so so, generally if I just disable data or mobile connection the phone will last the day for photos.

My primary was a Nokia 808, which was then replaced by a 1020 - hoping that the camera would be pretty close.

It isn't.

It'll happily get through a day with data on, browsing, playing some games, taking the odd photo here and there, a little facebooking, etc.

In isolation the camera isn't that bad, but it starts up way too slow (resuming...), but the 808 can start the camera app, take a picture and be back in my pocket while the 1020 is getting warmed up ... I'm out to a local music festival over the weekend and the 808 will be back to being primary.

Shame really, as on all other counts its a pretty good phone.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garrosh wrote: »

Do you have to "rock up" to use it?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 5, high end phone for very cheap. Open walled eco system and no bloat, on and wireless charging, which is so handy and all my devices have except nexus 10.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    Do you have to "rock up" to use it?

Do you have to be under the influence to post nonsense?
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Got nothing to do with being cool, if I'm honest. I think thats why I put it in quotation marks. Its not a term I am fond of either (even though I used it), but it seems to be often used amongst the twitterati and what note (oh yes and that word is definitely an americanism and over the top :p).

Main phone, primary device etc. Not effing daily effing driver. Particularly if those cants on twatter say "oh my daily driver is..." like they have more than one phone the effing fantasists.