Police adverts on file sharing sites

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I said through the courts. So some out there who aren't as knowledgeable as others about the internet are morons? That's a weird use of the words morons.

If it's not a UK site they can't have it taken down.

I am trying to illustrate the point that if you want to go on Pirate Bay it is extremely easy.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they did have the power to take them down (unlikely) the sites still exist, the ISP's are just told to stop linking to them. You'd have to be a moron to not know how to get the PirateBay despite the fact it's been 'banned' for ages.

Not too many morons out there since TPB traffic has doubled since it was 'blocked'.
    Forum Member
    Not too many morons out there since TPB traffic has doubled since it was 'blocked'.

Exactly. Question my use of the word, but it shows it doesn't work.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    The City of London Police covers only the square mile, and is funded by those who pay tax in the square mile. Should they not be representing the interests (in terms of law and order) of those who fund them?

And the general public scratch their heads why none of the bankers responsible for the financial crash ever ended up in court, I think you have just answered the question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it that, in the copyright/piracy debate, rhetoric and bullshit always trumps evidence and common sense?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's not a UK site they can't have it taken down.

I am trying to illustrate the point that if you want to go on Pirate Bay it is extremely easy.

Yes, because their website that appears in Google's search results is very high and the UK link works on the next page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that, in the copyright/piracy debate, rhetoric and bullshit always trumps evidence and common sense?

Like what?
    Forum Member
    Yes, because their website that appears in Google's search results is very high and the UK link works on the next page.

Or you can go on one of the hundreds of proxy sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like what?

Mostly the rhetoric that blocking websites will kill piracy, or that ever more draconian IP laws will lead to more innovation. It is the usual line from the copyright industries and politicians swallow it hook, line and sinker. It's infuriating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you can go on one of the hundreds of proxy sites.

And someone just starting to download torrents would know what a proxy is, or even heard of proxy?
    Forum Member
    And someone just starting to download torrents would know what a proxy is, or even heard of proxy?

There are lots of torrent sites, to use torrents you need a decent knowledge of the internet and probably someone who has told you about them. So yes, I suspect it's not that hard. You can't argue with the fact that the Pirate Bay has twice as many visits since it was 'banned'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly the rhetoric that blocking websites will kill piracy, or that ever more draconian IP laws will lead to more innovation. It is the usual line from the copyright industries and politicians swallow it hook, line and sinker. It's infuriating.

I think it just gets said half the time becaise said poster wants a reaction. Nothing will kill piracy off. Piracy will never be killed off. Piracy's been happening for decades and hasn't been killed off yet. The industry's forgetting that there'll be extremely, highly advanced programmers out there on the piracy scene who'll always create ways around any block that gets put in place.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    And the general public scratch their heads why none of the bankers responsible for the financial crash ever ended up in court, I think you have just answered the question.

Exactly what that has to do with the CoLP taking action against copyright theft, I don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I haven't read the article yet, but I'd lay money it being The City Of London Police, who appear to have become the RIAA/MPAA/BPI's own personal police force. Yay for corporate policing.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My prediction is coming true.

Take a picture boys, you will look back at these "wild times" in disbelief.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the article yet, but I'd lay money it being The City Of London Police,
    Give that poster a cigar!

Or a big raspberry if you peeked.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the article yet, but I'd lay money it being The City Of London Police,
    Keiō Line wrote: »

Is Bollywood still around? The display of psychic powers on this thread would be right up their street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the article yet, but I'd lay money it being The City Of London Police, who appear to have become the RIAA/MPAA/BPI's own personal police force. Yay for corporate policing.

Got it in one
    Forum Member
    Nah, I knew it had to be the CoLP. They've been doing most of the policing of pirate sites on behalf of the industry for the last year or so, including getting some sites taken offline by completely ignoring proper, due legal process and contacting the site's hosting company directly. No legal warrants, no court decisions involved.

If they want pirates to stay within the law it doesn't look very good when the police are prepared to ignore proper legal processes themselves, and just makes them look like the hypocrites they often are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was wondering when you would pipe up with your shite.

One would think the fact that TPB traffic has doubled since it was blocked would stop it but I guess facts are beyond your grasp.
    Forum Member

What, has there been a rise in cat de-clawing, has the Queen died or has this forum been closed by the owners?.
    Forum Member
    Was wondering when you would pipe up with your shite.

One would think the fact that TPB traffic has doubled since it was blocked would stop it but I guess facts are beyond your grasp.

Keio and facts?. Hahahahahahahaha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) is not funded like most police units it is funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and has partnerships with private and public organisations.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as someone who blocks all adverts and who downloads ~25GB a week I can't see this pathetic little publicity stunt stopping me.
    Forum Member
    The Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) is not funded like most police units it is funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and has partnerships with private and public organisations.

Personally NO police service should be funded by private corporations or such lobbying groups, even if it is done behind the scenes through the DfBIS. Any time a corporation is providing funding, or so called partnerships like this, the police are obviously not going to be entirely impartial and independent.

The same is true of police forces acting on behalf of FACT. FACT have been allowed to directly question suspects, something that is not supposed to be allowed. It is the police that are supposed to question suspects in any criminal investigation, not a private company funded by the industry.