Options

Help to choose.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cross posted as this question straddles two forums.

I wonder if anyone can help me please? My daughter is 15, and I want to get her either a laptop and graphics tablet, or a tablet for Christmas. She creates manga characters, but also uses the internet. I would say her characters are her major interest. Which is the best to go for? My budget is around £350.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    You can get her the 16GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet for around £370, I think she will like it as it comes with a factory stylus for drawings and writing as well. Another tablet option is the slightly cheaper Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 but it lacks some of the features of the Note 10.1 like the stylus which is pretty handy for drawing and other multimedia stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stilian wrote: »
    You can get her the 16GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet for around £370, I think she will like it as it comes with a factory stylus for drawings and writing as well. Another tablet option is the slightly cheaper Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 but it lacks some of the features of the Note 10.1 like the stylus which is pretty handy for drawing and other multimedia stuff.

Thanks Stillian.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    There are tablets specifically designed for artists - Wacom being a market leader. Personally I think that would be best also they are not as expensive as some tablets so you could get both if she wants a tablet; you could go for a smaller one or slightly lower spec.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am no expert with manga characters so can’t help a lot on this matter.

If she is producing these characters within a computer programme then the laptop, to me would be the best way to go, but if she is producing / sketching these character freehand then a tablet may be better.

Tables are the rage at the moment and I use my Samsung Tab 2 more than my PC theses days but when it comes to hard work then generally the PC is more powerful to do the job and is more agile for the jobs in hand, that said I don’t know what the capability of the Samsung Note is with it’s stylus and freehand drawing.

I think you may need a bit of hands on at your local shops to see what suits.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Laptop and graphics tablet would be the way to go I think if she is serious about drawing. It can be done on a Tablet but a laptop with some decent software and a graphics tablet would be much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have all confirmed what I was thinking. I do have a laptop I can get refurbished, freeing up more money for a graphics tablet. Thank you everyone :),
  • Options
    StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    MsWalker wrote: »
    I think you have all confirmed what I was thinking. I do have a laptop I can get refurbished, freeing up more money for a graphics tablet. Thank you everyone :),

You are welcome : )