Options

LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    That's true. Given the amount of people who wanted one, tried to get one it seems 'we' have very limited success on this board, Really does point to a very low number of phones available.

I reckon I will give it till the end of the year, if I not have one by then I will probably get something else.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I reckon I will give it till the end of the year, if I not have one by then I will probably get something else.

I'm the same, giving it to January (which is my birthday :D) and then if nowt is happening stock wise might scrap together a few more pennies and look at the Note 2. A shame really as the Nexus 4 looks stunning it of kit for the price. If Google /LG could get the stock levels right...they could have a massive winer here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Well after sorting my card issue out, I should have my shiny new Nexus 4 tomorrow!
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    Well after sorting my card issue out, I should have my shiny new Nexus 4 tomorrow!

We await your thoughts on it...
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    The Nexus 10 is available in the play store, so hopefully it wont be too long before the N4 is also available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    The Nexus 10 is available in the play store, so hopefully it wont be too long before the N4 is also available.
    I doubt it. LG make the phone. Samsung make the tablet.

No correlation can be made into the supply chain of them both.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    :D:D Glad I have the day off! Mine has arrived from CPW ordered yesterday :D:D

Initial impressions - nice box- once you slide the cover off you are faced with a slab of shiny black goodness

With have a play later today and give some feedback. woooo:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK so to keep my promise hears the initial feedback...

Phone was 50% charged so I charged to 100 before doing all the set up. Did so very quickly.

First boot and setup was super quick - much quicker than my S2 ever did. The interface is smooth from the start too. no lags etc whilst setting up.

Then you get into the phone. First thing that struck me was the LCD display. Its super crisp and I have white whites again :) (Came from Samsung OLED) [However the colour seems washed out a bit. Theres little pop... I kind of like it because its natural, but it looks like a screen again:( - my OLED had that glowing text on the glass sort of look which was very nice.
    Black level is good for LCD but again, OLED on the S2 was better and gave everything depth and solidity. So clear and detailed as hell but washed out. Viewing angles are as good as my S2 (OLED does not have the great angles some reviews say it does). Its one of the best screens I have seen all-round however.

Another minor issue I noticed from the off was the volume button. It wobbles around in a loose manner- not solid. The rest of the phone feels rock hard however but and I'm scared of all the glossy black glass (definitely on to get protectors front and back- even a bumper case)

Got a notification of the new Jellybean 4.2 after setting up so I Installed - took 2-3min if that. Its super smooth with a feeling of a "flowing speed" instead of snappy quick which could feel "slow" to some.
    Stock Android feels serious. My S2 looks like a toy now, Jellybean is very grown up looking. Love the notifications and Google now ... infact Google Now found out details about my delivery for the phone this morning!

Can say for shure its miles better than my S2 (and thats a great phone) Just a couple of minors (button and screen) but noting bad... infact the screen is just me coming from OLED colour fest it thinks.

Oh... battery is good. I have been messing around on the web, games, settings etc for a couple of hours and its only lost about 7-8% charge and thats on first charge too (usually it all settles down)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    OK so to keep my promise hears the initial feedback...

Phone was 50% charged so I charged to 100 before doing all the set up. Did so very quickly.

First boot and setup was super quick - much quicker than my S2 ever did. The interface is smooth from the start too. no lags etc whilst setting up.

Then you get into the phone. First thing that struck me was the LCD display. Its super crisp and I have white whites again :) (Came from Samsung OLED) [However the colour seems washed out a bit. Theres little pop... I kind of like it because its natural, but it looks like a screen again:( - my OLED had that glowing text on the glass sort of look which was very nice.
    Black level is good for LCD but again, OLED on the S2 was better and gave everything depth and solidity. So clear and detailed as hell but washed out. Viewing angles are as good as my S2 (OLED does not have the great angles some reviews say it does). Its one of the best screens I have seen all-round however.

Another minor issue I noticed from the off was the volume button. It wobbles around in a loose manner- not solid. The rest of the phone feels rock hard however but and I'm scared of all the glossy black glass (definitely on to get protectors front and back- even a bumper case)

Got a notification of the new Jellybean 4.2 after setting up so I Installed - took 2-3min if that. Its super smooth with a feeling of a "flowing speed" instead of snappy quick which could feel "slow" to some.
    Stock Android feels serious. My S2 looks like a toy now, Jellybean is very grown up looking. Love the notifications and Google now ... infact Google Now found out details about my delivery for the phone this morning!

Can say for shure its miles better than my S2 (and thats a great phone) Just a couple of minors (button and screen) but noting bad... infact the screen is just me coming from OLED colour fest it thinks.

Oh... battery is good. I have been messing around on the web, games, settings etc for a couple of hours and its only lost about 7-8% charge and thats on first charge too (usually it all settles down)

Just to update.. Volume rocker is loose. Very annoying. Looks like a few of them are online too. Also the phone isn't too good regarding strength of WiFi pickup.

On the plus side web browsing is very fast even with weak WiFi. Sound quality via headphones seems pretty good too but the internal speaker is poop.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to update.. Volume rocker is loose. Very annoying. Looks like a few of them are online too. Also the phone isn't too good regarding strength of WiFi pickup.

On the plus side web browsing is very fast even with weak WiFi. Sound quality via headphones seems pretty good too but the internal speaker is poop.

Thanks for the reviews. Please keep up informed as you start to use it for real! This could be my next phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not shure if anyone can help me but...

I cant seem to figure out how to remove the home screen pages. I think there's 5 but 3 at the moment are empty and taking up space.

Theres no pinch to see home screen pages or anything.

Other updates..... Camera is good! better than my S2. Recording quality is good too + sound. Dont know where the negative reviews came from.

The 360 sphere thing is a bit of a gimmick - works well in big outside environments but in a small room its more like a Picasso work of art ! :p

I haven't tried call quality yet because I'm waiting for my sim to change over.

Getting used to the screen - Its not too bad actually. If you said 1 was washed out and 10 was over saturated 5 just right, I would say 3-4. (My S2 would be 8 on Normal 6 on Movie)

Had a look on XDA Delevopers and it could be a issue with Gamma / Contrast that a update could add options too. (My S2 had screen colour modes etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My CPW store didn't have any Nexus 4's in their delivery today :( So it'll be monday now hopefully. I was hoping I'd have my new phone to play with over the weekend. Still, I have piles of Uni work to do so it's probably good not to have the distraction :p
  • Options
    SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Nexus 4 is 4G phone and 4G option can be easily enabled.

more detail here.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lte_can_be_enabled_on_the_nexus_4_works_on_canadian_networks-news-5116.php
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to update.. Volume rocker is loose

does it appear like poor build quality or an intended design?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    does it appear like poor build quality or an intended design?

Poor build i think. Just because the power button is also chrome and half the size but fits snug and doesn't move one bit (apart from pressing obviously) Its also out of character with the feel of the rest of the phone.

the volume one has a ooo say 1/4 mm gap and it moves around (even if you gently shake the phone). It rocks side to side and ever so slightly rotational.

I must stress its not as if its about to fall off - just a little too loose.

looks like i'm not the only one, on XDA others have noticed - others have not. Seems 8GB versions are ok at the mo... dam
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SadmeHappy wrote: »
    Nexus 4 is 4G phone and 4G option can be easily enabled.

more detail here.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lte_can_be_enabled_on_the_nexus_4_works_on_canadian_networks-news-5116.php

that's interesting - although the frequency bands reported aren't used in the UK at the moment according to TrustedReviews. Also the phone apparently lacks the amplifiers for the service too. so who knows???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    My CPW store didn't have any Nexus 4's in their delivery today :( So it'll be monday now hopefully. I was hoping I'd have my new phone to play with over the weekend. Still, I have piles of Uni work to do so it's probably good not to have the distraction :p

You should have just ordered online - do it before 5 and it will come the next day. (I wouldn't do it over weekend now however - the phone will be left getting chucked around a warehouse until Monday)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You should have just ordered online - do it before 5 and it will come the next day. (I wouldn't do it over weekend now however - the phone will be left getting chucked around a warehouse until Monday)

I tried to do it online and my card got rejected. Went into the bank to sort it out and thought I'd pop in store to get one instead as I was in town anyway. They told me it would be here today in their delivery and none arrived. So yeah, I now wish I'd just ordered online after sorting the card issue out.

Ah well, it'll make its way to me eventually.
  • Options
    SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    that's interesting - although the frequency bands reported aren't used in the UK at the moment according to TrustedReviews. Also the phone apparently lacks the amplifiers for the service too. so who knows???

snapdragon chip in Nexus 4 have 7 band LTE so it is likely to have our 1800MHz band 3 LTE in it. I hope some one in UK can do some testing of LTE.
    http://www.qualcomm.com/chipsets/snapdragon

I was already going to buy Nexus 4 when its back in stock and now one more reason to buy. :)
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Looks like Three are getting it now as well.

No release date or pricing though-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9m8kNtd78&feature=g-u-u
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snapdragon chip in Nexus 4 have 7 band LTE so it is likely to have our 1800MHz band 3 LTE in it. I hope some one in UK can do some testing of LTE.

I was already going to buy Nexus 4 when its back in stock and now one more reason to buy. :)

ut apparently its lacking the amplifier or something. The cip is there but the rest of the gubbins are not- or so said Google who are "Puzzled" as to how the guys in Canada got it working.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only if you live in Canada. The Nexus 4's LTE radio cannot be enabled for use on other LTE bands due to the lack of onboard supporting components.

The functionality will probably be disabled in the factory now though, as it isn't approved for use on LTE networks.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Only if you live in Canada. The Nexus 4's LTE radio cannot be enabled for use on other LTE bands due to the lack of onboard supporting components.

The functionality will probably be disabled in the factory now though
    , as it isn't approved for use on LTE networks.

The functionality has already been disabled. There is no LTE amplifier or transmitter on board. The only LTE related component is the LTE chip held over from the Optimus G. It has been forced onto 4G networks through the existing GSM/CDMA hardware on board, meaning that it is still possible for other bands to be accessed. It hasn't been fully tested yet, and either way, short of changing the motherboard of the Nexus 4, there isn't much LG or Google can do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Looks like Three are getting it now as well.

No release date or pricing though-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9m8kNtd78&feature=g-u-u
    CPWH already have it on 3. Select 3 from the refinements.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/LG_NEXUS_4/MONTHLY?viewDealForAll=false&colourCode=&modelName=Nexus%204#b
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    It hasn't been fully tested yet, and either way, short of changing the motherboard of the Nexus 4, there isn't much LG or Google can do.
    They could remove the settings that allowed the LTE modem to be enabled...