Options

Game of Thrones S3 (US Pace, Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Irish actors seem very accomplished at doing English accents.

The twitter storm when Colin Morgan got his NTA this year and spoke in his natural accent was amazing.

Although I've got to admit the first time I heard him being all gravelly and Irish I was pretty surprised.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Jamie's sword hand was it not that was cut off?

It was yes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    If Game of Thrones took place on Facebook:

http://www.happyplace.com/23181/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-3

Hilarious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They've been the highlights of S3 so far, the other two are even funnier imho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That link doesn't work for me, I saw the first weeks recap, totally brilliant, especially loved Stannis talking about how he had to grow a beard and look at the waves.

Anyone got a link to the others, call me a luddite but I can never find anything on facebook.

ETA Ignore me, I found it and it's not on facebook at all. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Strange - dunno why the link isn't working now? :confused:

Just go to happyplace.com and search for Game of Thrones Facebook and all 3 'episodes' come up! :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems everyone in their excitement has been posting in the UK pace thread. :D
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    Robb Stark calls himself a king, yet cannot manage/control any of the people around him. His mother betrays him by releasing Jaime. His wife chirps on his shoulder at Harrenhal,"she's your mother", apparently trying to undermine his resolve to treat her as a traitor. She does better at tending to wounded Lannisters. Bolton was supposed to deliver Theon to Robb, but no. His men recapture Jaime, but I doubt their treatment of him will now facilitate any hostage exchange. Did he ever intend to return Theon and Jaime to Robb? Robb's uncle disobeys his orders, failing to set a prepared trap for Clegane and all he does is shout about it, when he should've taken his head. Robb isn't bad enough to be king, so he isn't good enough either IMO.

Poor Brienne and Jaime. Her merciful refusal to silence (kill) the old woodcutter leads to their capture. Good deeds apparently don't go unpunished in Westeros. Jaime persuades Bolton's men not to gang rape Brienne, but he loses a hand for his efforts. Good deeds very definitely don't go unpunished in Westeros.

And Stannis. He loses a battle and now he can't even get it up, however much he begs. Sad.

I think you miss the point. Robb is a king in name only. He's really just the leader of a coalition, who have a shared goal. Do you really think he could get away with killing his own men at will, like Joffrey or Tywin?

Very perspective comment about no good deed goes unpunished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Oh bugger, guilty as charged.

I didn't say much but I expect a good telling off any minute now. :o
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Rules of Westeros, Chapter 6, Paragraph 43:

Do not f*** with the Mother of Dragons!

That closing shot was just.....bloody epic! Dany has her army, and she's got air support! :D
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Rules of Westeros, Chapter 6, Paragraph 43:

Do not f*** with the Mother of Dragons!

That closing shot was just.....bloody epic! Dany has her army, and she's got air support! :D

Yeah, was fantastic. They really did the scene from the book justice which is difficult, because it's great in the books too. It propelled Dany to being one of my favourite characters again.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the last few minutes! Great episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I agree with everyone else really. The scene with Dany was excellent- "A dragon is not a slave". And that last shot with the huge army leaving Astapor and the dragons flying overhead- just awesome. I have to say though, I'm finding the events happening beyond the wall the most interesting this season. I haven't read book number three yet, so I was pretty shocked at what went down at Craster's keep. Did not expect Jeor Mormont to die and get stabbed in the back by Rast- I was hoping he would one day be reunited with Jorah. I hope Grenn and Dolorous Edd are alright. "Who knew Bannen could smell so good?"

Should be interesting to see what happens beyond and at the wall now. The night's watch is all but gone now. From what I can remember, the only people still at the wall are blind old man Aemon, Alliser Thorne, Pyp and I presume Janos Slynt, who was exiled to the wall last season and probably a few others who didn't go to the Fist of the First Men. So yeah, the night's watch looks extremely vulnerable at the moment and I look forward to seeing the conflicts arise as both the wildlings and white walkers head towards the wall with only the weakened nights watch (and Samwell Tarly) to defend the realm.

Really enjoyed the Varys scenes and it was cool seeing him plot against Littlefinger through Ros and the Queen of Thorns. I do wonder why Littlefinger wants to take Sansa with him if he is to marry Lysa? Felt bad for both Jaime and Theon this episode. It's pretty amazing how this show makes you hate these characters, and then a few episodes later you're rooting for them as they're tortured and humiliated.
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the whole episode was amazing!! , seems to be getting better each episode, and that final scene! just epic, just kind of puts into prospective who a real leader is and should be, and i can't help but now feel like whats going on between the lannisters/starks is just pointless compared to whats happening with dany, if the lannisters got genuine word from multiple people that theirs a woman with a 8000 man army and 3 dragons at her every command, wanting to take the iron thone theybe running for the hills!
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode. I thought Lena Heady was great this week in her various scenes, as were Peter Dinklage, Diana Rigg and the guy who plays Varys (Conleth Hill)!
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact Daenerys knows what she stands for. In this she and Robb Stark are the same. I haven't read the books, but I sincerely hope an alliance between the two can be found. Their prime objectives are the same and where the others converge, there is room for compromise.
    Daenerys for her part must find more dragons. 3 dragons and an 8000 strong army aren't enough to claim the iron throne.
    Although I suspect the dragons alone will cement in the minds of many her right to the throne. A Targaryen of yore.

Margaerys offer to Sansa seems to good to be true. I don't think Littlefinger's offer was much better but Stansa is better off away from king's landing and the whims of a King like Joffrey.
    Cersei confessing she has no control over her son is an admission she needs help. Tywin's response however shows he will look to put the military under his command. In the process usurping Joffrey's authority.

The white walkers will force all the families into an uneasy alliances before long.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow i love dany, what a brilliant scene to end the episode, had goosebumps as they showed her unsullied legions march whilst dragons flew up ahead, like how she and her dothraki still use horses too, great stuff

i wonder whats next for her as i cant see her crossing to westeros just yet, maybe a visit to the famous bravos first? iron bank funding anyone?

north of the border cant believe that fat shmuck killed the lord commander, chaos..wow

sansa is being pulled in so many different directions, highgarden would suit her but not sure about loras as a husband!

great to see beric again as i was wodnering what happened to him after ned stark sent him off to get the mountain, cant see him beating hound in 1 on 1 combat though

no idea whats going on with theon, could be torture by rob stark or his father ballon.

loving majories handling of joffrey,cersei sure isnt! regarding the wedding i wonder if it will happen or if it is interupted. i used to think sansa would play a part but joffrey isnt tormenting her as much lately.

it seems to be majorie could be a nearly women,always so close to the throne but never getting there.
  • Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    I think you miss the point.

It's not the first time and probably won't be the last. LOL
    Robb is a king in name only. He's really just the leader of a coalition, who have a shared goal. Do you really think he could get away with killing his own men at will, like Joffrey or Tywin?

So the North is led by a junta then? Robb is called king but isn't actually a real king? Despite his apparent authority, he has little actual power? I might not know much, but such arrangements are doomed to failure IMO. I'm watching for characters who are in control of their environment and the people around them, real leaders if you will, there are very few and Robb isn't one of them. Is he being used because of who his father was, because of his name, just as others are conspiring to use Sansa?
  • Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a marvellous episode. One excellent scene after another, leading to a crescendo of fire breathing majesty.

Varys telling Tyrion that revenge will be his "in time, if he has the stomach for it", whilst revealing the gruesome nature of his own particular revenge. Exquisite. Bad news for Cersei then!

The saddest scene; Theon saying "My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice and I chose wrong. Now I've burned everything down." He deserves a quick death for his repentance, but it sadly doesn't look like he's going to get it.

Margaery and her grandmother are still running rings around Cersei and Joffrey, made all the sweeter by Cersei's awareness of her predicament (that she can no longer manipulate her son, but Margaery can) and evident inability to stop it.

Tywin, ever blinkered to the concerns of his children, dismissed Cersei with his acknowlegement of his family's dependence on the Tyrells. Is he unaware of the prospect of the Tyrells ruling through Joffrey? I wonder if his apparent complacency would be shaken if he knew the Tyrells have designs on ruling the North too, through Sansa, once the Lannisters have obliged them by defeating Robb Stark? I don't think there will be many Lannisters or Starks left alive much longer, if the Tyrells get their way.

Meanwhile I see Daenerys is looking more and more like the real thing with each episode. I suspect that once all the others have done slaughtering each other, she will slaughter whoever remains. In the meantime I think she is going to have to sack and pillage every city she encounters, because she has no money and more than 8000 people to feed. Action stations......

Shouldn't Jaime's severed hand have turned blue or black yet? Do they have flies in Westeros, because with dead flesh hanging from his neck, wouldn't Jaime be plagued by them? And why was Brienne so thoroughly roped up at the camp, but Jaime wasn't? Do they want him to run?
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

The other thread is not UK paced. From the OP:
    CD93 wrote: »
    I believe we (eventually) agreed that these threads do not need to be pace-specific, due to the very small gap between US and UK airings. However, there are seperate threads for Sky One, Spoilers & Book Discussions beyond the TV pace.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    The other thread is not UK paced. From the OP:

But then this thread was started later which makes the other one UK Pace by default else what was the point in starting this one?
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it me or did they play the stannis theme when joffrey and majorie were looking at tombs and then saying hello to the crowds?
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I miss something or do we not know who/why Theon is getting tortured
  • Options
    MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    Shouldn't Jaime's severed hand have turned blue or black yet? Do they have flies in Westeros, because with dead flesh hanging from his neck, wouldn't Jaime be plagued by them?

Oh keep up, winter is coming! There are plenty of flies in Westeros, but summer's over. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facepalm wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing how this show makes you hate these characters, and then a few episodes later you're rooting for them as they're tortured and humiliated.

That's what makes GRRM a super writer and ASOIAF one of the best fantasy series' around :)