Options

Compliment or racisim?

DazDevineDazDevine Posts: 229
Forum Member
I'm just looking for views & opinions on a debate I'm having. If a Caucasian Scotsman, like myself, were to compliment an African-American (for example) on the tone of their skin eg, I love you skin tone, would that be considered as a compliment or would it be perceived as racisim?

Comments

• Options
    Mick_SwaggerMick_Swagger Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Well it wouldn't be racist would it?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to pretend someone isn't black to not be racist.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it, it's only like complimenting someone on their tan.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    DazDevine wrote: »
    I'm just looking for views & opinions on a debate I'm having. If a Caucasian Scotsman, like myself, were to compliment an African-American (for example) on the tone of their skin eg, I love you skin tone, would that be considered as a compliment or would it be perceived as racisim?

I think if it's a bloke you're trying to compliment they might feel a tad uncomfortable.

Personally, if someone said that to me I'd be worried they wanted to make me into a jacket or something. I guess I never got over watching Silence of the Lambs.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a compliment of course! I don't see how saying you LOVE a person's skin tone is racist.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »
    I doubt it, it's only like complimenting someone on their tan.

um not really no :D

although thread starter no i wouldnt think that is racist
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a compliment.
    There's a fine line between a compliment, racism and ignorance/being a complete dumbass.

People always feel the need to comment on my colouring. I don't take it offensively.
    However, I do feel a little weirded out whenever people tell me I'm too light-skinned to be from the West Indies. That gets my back up against a wall.

Sometimes I'm tempted to say "Nice pallid complexion you're rocking there, are you allergic to the sun?" but I don't.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not white and I don't take offence if people compliment me on my skin tone.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Of course it isn't racist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    You don't have to pretend someone isn't black to not be racist.

^this

Racism is negative DISCRIMINATION based on race. Recognising, and embracing the colour of a persons skin (what ever it may be) is not racism.
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you thought it and said it to every single African person then it might be seen as a preference for a certain type of skin colouring. If you only thought it and said it about some Africans' skin then it's just liking some people's skin tone. If it was the only thing you ever liked about Africans it would be a little odd and could come across as racist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Slightly off subject but: I was looking after an Afro/White lad of 13 Years. His social worker constantly went on and on about allowing this boy have access to his 'african culture' after a few months of this I felt obliged to mention that although he was 'Black' he also had a White British Mother so was entitled to follow his White British Culture too if he so wished. I was effectively letting the social worker know he was inadvertantly being racist in saying that this by was onething when infact he was the sum of two cultures and colours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    It's not racist
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^this

Racism is negative DISCRIMINATION based on race. Recognising, and embracing the colour of a persons skin (what ever it may be) is not racism.

We need to have this post made into a 'sticky'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your input. I was on the side of compliment. I also used complimenting an olive-skinned Italian and a fair-skinned Scot as examples and my co-debator also insisted that this was racist. They couldn't grasp that complimenting people on their racial features isn't the same as discriminating people for for their racial features.I understand that it would ultimately depend on the person its was said to and in which context but was just wanting a general idea as to how it would be perceived.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's black or white.None of this caucasian pish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your input. I was on the side of compliment. I also used complimenting an olive-skinned Italian and a fair-skinned Scot as examples and my co-debator also insisted that this was racist. They couldn't grasp that complimenting people on their racial features isn't the same as discriminating people for for their racial features.I understand that it would ultimately depend on the person its was said to and in which context but was just wanting a general idea as to how it would be perceived.

Out of curiosity, what race is the opponent?

Never heard it described as co-debater before. I'm used to Affirmative and Negative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My olive skinned girlfriend! :D
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not racist in the slightest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol olive skin isn't even a race!

Gawd, no wonder she thinks you're racist. You can't differentiate between aesthetic characteristics and race! :p
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So if you said to your girlfriend that one of the things that attracted you to her was her skin tone, she would call you racist?

Also, what's the deal with olive skin? I'm described as olive skinned but I sure as hell aint green and shiny.
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 50 years - this is still rumbling on.

OK - the definition of a non racist...is being asked to describe someone as wearing jeans, a hoodie and a red scarf. Racist: a black guy in a red scarf.

Can we not finally be colour blind? If you are born in England and educated in England and work or at least try in England -what the heck does the colour of your skin matter?

I am a sort of pinkish colour and spots. So what - does it matter?
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 50 years - this is still rumbling on.

OK - the definition of a non racist...is being asked to describe someone as wearing jeans, a hoodie and a red scarf. Racist: a black guy in a red scarf.

Can we not finally be colour blind? If you are born in England and educated in England and work or at least try in England -what the heck does the colour of your skin matter?

I am a sort of pinkish colour and spots. So what - does it matter?

Mr Blobby? :eek:
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »

Also, what's the deal with olive skin? I'm described as olive skinned but I sure as hell aint green and shiny.

Don't forget black and shiny ones! :p

I'm also olive skinned but I'm not green, black or shiny!
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    Mr Blobby? :eek:

You outed me! :eek: