Options

Nightmare trying to cancel SKY

Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have sent the email and now have had 3 lengthy discussions "bear with me one more minute" (approximately 5 of these per 20 minute conversation)…then crap like, "I'm having trouble with the systems and cannot confirm the cancellation yet". I've been told twice that someone will call me back to confirm the cancellation, as yet, no phone call has been made.

I've cancelled the direct debit, I'm guessing I will be getting a phone call soon.

Bunch of morons.

Comments

• Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    I have sent the email and now have had 3 lengthy discussions "bear with me one more minute" (approximately 5 of these per 20 minute conversation)…then crap like, "I'm having trouble with the systems and cannot confirm the cancellation yet". I've been told twice that someone will call me back to confirm the cancellation, as yet, no phone call has been made.

I've cancelled the direct debit, I'm guessing I will be getting a phone call soon.

Bunch of morons.

You shouldn't have cancelled the direct debit yet until the last payment is taken. If I were you I would call them, that's the best and easiest way to cancel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bunch of morons.

I have, 3 times. :)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that wasn't the correct action to take
    Bunch of morons.

people who cancel DD's thinking that is the correct action to take? yes, you're probably correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was the "correct" action to take at all, but after an email, and 3 lengthy discussions with Sky trying to cancel, only to be fobbed off with "systems are down", "can't confirm cancellation" "I'll call you back", I felt it was the only action I could take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt it was the only action I could take.

still the wrong option to take.
    DD should only be cancelled once you have confirmation that your account is closed and any final payments have been made.

at the moment neither of those are true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I should wait until they can be arsed to ring me back to confirm the cancellation that I have tried 3 times to instigate by phoning them on 3 separate days only to be told that they have issues but someone will call me back later that day?

Do you work for Sky retentions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I should wait until they can be arsed to ring me back to confirm the cancellation that I have tried 3 times to instigate by phoning them on 3 separate days only to be told that they have issues but someone will call me back later that day?

Do you work for Sky retentions?

you have to give 31 days notice to cancel anyway, so cancelling the DD now is 100% wrong.

and no i don't work for sky in any way.
    i couldn't care less if you cancel or not, but this whole "i just cancelled the DD" trend is the wrong action to take, and it needs to be pointed out whenever someone does that.

enjoy the debt collectors and black marks on the credit rating though, as that is what can happen when people "simply cancel the DD".

do you work for Duncan Drain Cleansing? that's just as stupid a question as you asking if i work for sky retentions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you have to give 31 days notice to cancel anyway, so cancelling the DD now is 100% wrong.

and no i don't work for sky in any way.
    i couldn't care less if you cancel or not, but this whole "i just cancelled the DD" trend is the wrong action to take, and it needs to be pointed out whenever someone does that.

enjoy the debt collectors and black marks on the credit rating though, as that is what can happen when people "simply cancel the DD".

do you work for Duncan Drain Cleansing? that's just as stupid a question as you asking if i work for sky retentions.

I am aware of the 31 days notice, hence me getting a tad annoyed that it's now 3 days since I first requested the cancellation.

I also wasn't asking you, or anyone, to care whether I cancel Sky or not :confused:

I will pay the outstanding amount, along with any other final amount…once they ring me back chasing payment and agree to the the simple request I have made 3 times. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have, 3 times. :)

Sorry! For some reason I thought you meant online discussions.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you come here to ask a question, or just to let everyone know you cancelled?

Maybe if you had less attitude, and asked what you should do, some kind soul may have suggested e-mailing Jeremy.darroch@bsky.com which always gets results, rather than cancelling a DD, which , as much as you think it'll work, doesn't cancel the account, and can lead to financial troubles down the road (like getting a mortgage).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you come here to ask a question, or just to let everyone know you cancelled?

No, just to point out how awkward SKY become when you try to cancel. Which, on reading a few other posts, seems to be a common thing.

And, as I pointed out, I am aware that cancelling the DD doesn't cancel the account, but when they phone me for payment, I will (again) point out that I have made 3 phone calls trying to cancel the account, and when they agree to do so, I will then pay the outstanding.

That's all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, just to point out how awkward SKY become when you try to cancel. Which, on reading a few other posts, seems to be a common thing.

And, as I pointed out, I am aware that cancelling the DD doesn't cancel the account, but when they phone me for payment, I will (again) point out that I have made 3 phone calls trying to cancel the account, and when they agree to do so, I will then pay the outstanding.

That's all.

But they will try using the direct debit, and when it fails it will go down as a black mark on your credit history. As far as I know they don't call you to chase payment, you get cut off then it goes to debt collectors, which will be even worse on your credit rating.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's all.

The problem you have is not that you are morally wrong, since they have behaved so badly cancelling the DD would be appropriate except for the affect it will have on things like your credit history. The right thing to do is not always the correct thing to do.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <deleted sodafountain beat me to it lol>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »
    But they will try using the direct debit, and when it fails it will go down as a black mark on your credit history. As far as I know they don't call you to chase payment, you get cut off then it goes to debt collectors, which will be even worse on your credit rating.

If you get cut off,how can debt collectors be after you if your not getting a service which your not paying for? Just ignore what sky says,they are obviously trying to keep getting your money every month.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    If you get cut off,how can debt collectors be after you if your not getting a service which your not paying for? Just ignore what sky says,they are obviously trying to keep getting your money every month.

That's the complete wrong advice you can give. You've 31 days notice to cancel that is in the contract and by law debt collectors can call because of that and the credit rating will be affected.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incorrect, you owe money, that is why debt collectors get involved, and until 31 days after the account is officially closed the ammount you owe will continue to increase, even if you have been cut off as your account is still open. You get cut off if you are in arrears.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »
    Incorrect, you owe money, that is why debt collectors get involved, and until 31 days after the account is officially closed the ammount you owe will continue to increase, even if you have been cut off as your account is still open. You get cut off if you are in arrears.

You need to look at debt legislation, Sky cannot bring in debt collectors until they have attempted to contact you regarding the missed payment.

Simply cancelling the direct debt will not impact credit rating or involve debt collectors if you respond to Sky to resolve when they contact you, at this point ensure you cancel and pay them the outstanding amount and job done.

I completly agree if they are playing games hoping you can't be bothered to contact them again to cancel then cancelling the direct debit will force their hand.

Amazes me how people seriously think cancelling a direct debit means you'll instantly have debt collectors at your door. Even if you do send them away they have no juristriction and are just bullies, without going to court Sky can't claim a penny and they would have a weak case if you have evidence that you have contacted them to cancel and they have ignored your requests.

Big businesses think they can bully people out of money but we all have the law on oursides and no matter how big the organisation they need to take you to court and if you have a strong case they won't have a leg to stand on.

The only people who can force money from you are court appointed balifs/sherifs, debt collectors have no rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Amazes me how people seriously think cancelling a direct debit means you'll instantly have debt collectors at your door. Even if you do send them away they have no juristriction and are just bullies, without going to court Sky can't claim a penny and they would have a weak case if you have evidence that you have contacted them to cancel and they have ignored your requests.

Nobody said anything about knocking on any doors, nor did anyone say they will force money out of you. Sky notify customers they are in arrears via on screen messages. Unpaid bills at many companies either get passed on to collectors department within the company, or third party debt collectors to chase up payments. It is up to the customer to pay the bill on time and money is owed whether the account is cancelled or not. If the direct debit fails and the bill goes unpaid it can affect your credit rating.